Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denver Post: Shanahan appears headed to Redskins

AzSkinsFan63

People need to chill. We won't know anything for at least 3 weeks, no matter what anyone says. Honestly whoever it is, after this year there will be nothing to get excited about. We are at best 2 years away from a possible Super Bowl Run whoever the coach is.

Rotoworld's take on this:

Report: Redskins want Shanahan for 2010

According to the Denver Post, ex-Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has been in discussions with the Redskins about the head coaching job for 2010.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen also believes Shanahan will end up in D.C. The sides are reportedly still working out the specifics and an agreement has yet to be reached, but there is obvious mutual interest. Shanahan is tight with new Redskins GM Bruce Allen, telling the Bills last month that the two were a package deal. Both share negative experiences with Raiders owner Al Davis, strengthening their bond. Shanahan would likely clean house on offense while maintaining a voice in personnel matters. Dec. 17 - 7:51 pm et

Source: Denver Post

Great post. How anyone can be happy with what's transpiring is beyond me.

Maybe I'm viewing this through Vinny-less-colored glasses (everything is nicer looking when Vinny is gone), but I don't see how bringing in a more successful coach is a bad thing. I'm not saying I don't see the merits of continuity, but if a change is to be made -- how is a quality GM and (potentially) an experienced HC something that should have us unhappy?

Maybe I'm viewing this through Vinny-less-colored glasses (everything is nicer looking when Vinny is gone), but I don't see how bringing in a more successful coach is a bad thing. I'm not saying I don't see the merits of continuity, but if a change is to be made -- how is a quality GM and (potentially) an experienced HC something that should have us unhappy?

Because I doubt very much Snyder's ability to judge a head coach candidate. If Allen were to choose Shanahan, that would be one thing, but it looks to me like everything is still going through Snyder.

Because I doubt very much Snyder's ability to judge a head coach candidate. If Allen were to choose Shanahan, that would be one thing, but it looks to me like everything is still going through Snyder.

So regardless of the fact that Shanahan probably would be the best candidate for the job, simply due to the fact that Snyder would be the ultimate decision maker, it would automagically make it the wrong choice?

:doh:

How anyone could be complaining when it looks like the Redskins are finally getting their act together and reorganizing the FO WITHOUT CERRATO is beyond me.

You're assuming that Allen is not just another Cerrato. What makes you think that? If Allen were a real GM, wouldn't he be making the decision on whom to hire? Why is Snyder the one making this decision?

So regardless of the fact that Shanahan probably would be the best candidate for the job, simply due to the fact that Snyder would be the ultimate decision maker, it would automagically make it the wrong choice?

:doh:

That's not at all what I said. I'm saying that the process of choosing the head coach is flawed. It's a reminder that Snyder is still making the important decisions for this team rather than delegating to people who are more qualified than him. If Snyder is still willing to choose a head coach even though there are better people on the staff to do that, it's logical to think that he will also still choose players, even though there are people on the staff who are better at doing that.

You're assuming that Allen is not just another Cerrato. What makes you think that? If Allen were a real GM, wouldn't he be making the decision on whom to hire? Why is Snyder the one making this decision?

1. I'm looking at Allen's track record vs. Vinny's

2. One conference with Allen indicates that he isn't a d-bag like his predecessor.

3.. Finally, you're the one doing all the assuming here. You are assuming that Allen is being completely shut out of this decision. I highly doubt that is true. In fact, I think the major players involved here have been "discussing" this for quite a while now.

2. One conference with Allen indicates that he isn't a d-bag like his predecessor.

3.. Finally, you're the one doing all the assuming here. You are assuming that Allen is being completely shut out of this decision. I highly doubt that is true. In fact, I think the major players involved here have been "discussing" this for quite a while now.

Cerrato's d-bagginess can't be topped, it's true. When I said I was worried about Allen being another Cerrato I merely meant that I was worried he couldn't veto Snyder.

It's possible that Snyder, Shanahan, and Allen have been planning this for a while, but considering that Shanahan and Snyder were in talks 8 weeks ago, I'm not sure that's likely. Could be wrong - no way to know - I just very much doubt that Snyder went to Allen 8 weeks ago and asked him who the next coach should be.

Cerrato's d-bagginess can't be topped, it's true. When I said I was worried about Allen being another Cerrato I merely meant that I was worried he couldn't veto Snyder.

Snyder is the one with the cash, if he doesn't want to be vetoed he won't be. That's the simple truth of the matter and we just have to hope he keeps a respectful distance away from the team's football operations.

It's possible that Snyder, Shanahan, and Allen have been planning this for a while, but considering that Shanahan and Snyder were in talks 8 weeks ago, I'm not sure that's likely. Could be wrong - no way to know - I just very much doubt that Snyder went to Allen 8 weeks ago and asked him who the next coach should be.

Assuming all of this is true, how does it matter who initiated the changes in the front office? The important thing is that we get qualified football minds in place and make sure that they can work together effectively.

First, Shanahan has made known he likes Allen and would work with him. I doubt Allen has been in a vacuum this whole time with no clue of what's going on.

Second, who cares?

His track record is working for Al Davis for years and having no power in Tampa. Dan's new Hand Puppet? Seems likely to me. Al Davis wouldn't have had him around that long if Allen demanded to run the FO. Doubt that?

OK, so he's not a douche. Which = how many more wins?

10 years of fail and 10 years of Dan Snyder's Fantasy Football team + him telling us all that he fired Marty Schottenheimer because it wasn't fun to not have his hands all over his toy is all anybody needs to assume the worst with any hire that doesn't take Snyder totally out of the equation. Plus, Cerrato isn't going anywhere, he's going to be the newest version of a "second set of eyes".

What exactly has changed? Oh, so Shanahan? Sure, his FF team in Denver won 1 playoff game in 10 years after Elway retired and Terrell Davis got hurt.

So what we have here is Dan Snyder + a likely new puppet + a head coach who ran a similar type sign every FA on the market team in Denver and won nothing for 10 years + Cerrato advising from under the table.

OK

:chair::chair::chair:

I just hope Shanny has gotten better at personnel, if he's in charge of picking players.

Allen would be OK in that role. Unlike Vinny, he seems to have built winners. If Danny opens up his wallet for the Front Office, maybe Campbell or DeCosta will be "director of player personnel" and manage the draft.

First of all I am not a Shanny fan. However, everyone keeps bringing it up that he inherited a SB team with Elway. I do agree with that analogy. However, that same scenario seems to fit a lot of other coaches.

1. Chucky inherited a SB team that Dungy/McKay built.

2. Dungy inherited a SB team that Mora/Polian built.

3. Switzer inherited a team that Johnson/Schramm built.

4. Parcells inherited a team that Perkins/Reese built.

We do have a core group of players that can win, especially on D. If our new GM and coach can evaluate the right talent, then maybe all we need is a plug-n-play coach who is a motivator and has a winning history. Shanny might not be the best coach, but he sure as heck isn't the worst available.

Can anyone give me a primer on Shanahan's offense? I realize he ran a West Coast offense, but how does it compare to Zorn's/Lewis'?

I'll give you what I think I know.

Much of Shanny's success in Denver can be credited to Alex Gibbs's zone-blocking techniques, some of which are now illegal and the rest have been adapted into the schemes of several teams including the Redskins. Zone-blocking was more effective when it was new and innovative.

The passing game was successful with Cutler and Elway, QBs with outstanding individual talent.

It was a big play offense, both running and passing. That's 180 degrees away from the Walsh brand WCO, a scheme built for ball control.

Kubiak's scheme in Houston, where Mike's son is the OC, is closer to the Zorn scheme, but we can't be sure Shanahan would change his stripes.

Archived