Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denver Post: Shanahan appears headed to Redskins

AzSkinsFan63

Former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan has been in discussions to become the Washington Redskins' next head coach, according to two NFL sources.

The two sides still have some issues to work through, however, before an agreement is reached. The 4-9 Redskins long have been eliminated from playoff contention and have three games remaining with coach Jim Zorn.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder began housecleaning Wednesday with Bruce Allen replacing Vinny Cerrato as general manager. One NFL source said that when Shanahan spoke with the Buffalo Bills last month about their new front-office/coaching openings, Allen was to be included in the package there.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_14020216#ixzz0ZzpberRm

JLC over on NFL.com thinks that Shanny will end up getting Gibbs old title.

Shanahan has been quietly making inroads to round out a staff, multiple sources said, and they would be surprised if he doesn't ultimately end up in Washington to replace Jim Zorn shortly after this season ends in a team president/head coach capacity similar to the role that Joe Gibbs had there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8150a16a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Who does he bring in on his staff? Call me a bit skeptical about his 27 year old son being the OC

His son is 29 or 30 and he's the offensive coordinator for the Texans, who are doing quite well on offense. I'm more concerned about who will be the defensive coordinator. Rumor has it that Shanny would want Denver's d-coordinator for the 2008 season (a season in which Denver's defense was horrible).

I am not totally enamoured by Shanny.

1) I am worried about what he does with the D, and a d-coordinator. We have a good thing going on defense.

2) Who does he bring in on his staff? Call me a bit skeptical about his 27 year old son being the OC

Exactly. Most people are crying out for Shanahan but aren't aware of the changes he wants to make. Like for one, I've heard Shanahan mention that he wants to build a Pittsburgh type of defense.

:helmet:

I am not totally enamoured by Shanny.

1) I am worried about what he does with the D, and a d-coordinator. We have a good thing going on defense.

Snyder loves Blache and Gray. Doubt that Shanny would overhaul the one side of the ball that actually works.

2) Who does he bring in on his staff? Call me a bit skeptical about his 27 year old son being the OC

There are several people that could be the next OC:

Kyle Shanahan, his son. He runs the Texans offense and they rank 8th in yards per game and 10th in TD's.

Jeremy Bates, current USC Asst. HC/QB coach, who was the QB coach in Denver.

Gary Kubiak, current HC for the Texans, could become the next OC if he is fired by the Texans at the end of the season. Used to be Shanny's OC.

I was always under the assumption that Shanahan would want full control - implying the sole ability to pick his own players and thus ruling out the need for a GM, let alone an official one like Bruce Allen. So in the hiring of Allen today, I figured guys like Shanahan, Holmgren (although I never considered him a serious contender for the job) and Cowher were ruled out. Interesting little nugget though that according to the report, Shanahan wanted Allen . . . so I guess they can work together?

That doesn't change the fact that Shanahan is interviewing for someone else's job.

It shows that Snyder continues to mistreat people.

Just like he mistreated Cerrato by interviewing Allen while Vinny was still here?

Zorn has a contract and will be paid once he is fired. That is all Dan owes the loser.

That doesn't change the fact that Shanahan is interviewing for someone else's job.

It shows that Snyder continues to mistreat people.

Yea we just not even think about another coach until we let Zorn go, by that time the other NFL teams will have talked to their coaches and may have a deal in place....leaving us with another "zorn-like" hire.

Some people just can't help but to seek out something negative.....ever thought about being a raiders fan? There you are sure of failure to keep you happy.

I was always under the assumption that Shanahan would want full control - implying the sole ability to pick his own players and thus ruling out the need for a GM, let alone an official one like Bruce Allen. So in the hiring of Allen today, I figured guys like Shanahan, Holmgren (although I never considered him a serious contender for the job) and Cowher were ruled out. Interesting little nugget though that according to the report, Shanahan wanted Allen . . . so I guess they can work together?

Bruce Allen is not a personnel guy. He is a former agent. His expertise is contract negotiation/salary cap management.

Shanahan can pick the talent and it would work out.

Just like he mistreated Cerrato by interviewing Allen while Vinny was still here?

Zorn has a contract and will be paid once he is fired. That is all Dan owes the loser.

Yes, although with Cerrato it seems that there was some give and take between Cerrato and Snyder. I can't believe people think that this is appropriate behavior. The culture at Redskins park is one of infighting, sniping, and get what you can for yourself instead of thinking about the team. That comes from Snyder. It comes from actions like this.

Word is that Allen will just be concentrating on the managerial aspect of GM, and not heavily involved in player personnel decisions. So that door is open for Shanny to have a huge say in that area. From everything we've heard, Danny has already talked to Shanny, so my guess is a "Mike, we're bringing in Bruce Allen, but he won't be making personnel decisions, so you can still have that power" type of conversation took place. And I've heard it mentioned that Allen & Shanny get along really well.

Archived