Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denver Post: Shanahan appears headed to Redskins

AzSkinsFan63

All 3 may be from the Walsh tree but Zorn and Lewis are more akin to Holmgren than Shanahan is. Look at the graph above and you see that there is a separation between the two. Holmgren and Seifert may have learned from Walsh, but their offenses are different.

thanks for joining/adding to the breakdown of Shanny WCO vs Lewis/Zorn's.

But i think you're misunderstanding what i was saying.

I'm not saying that Shanahan's offense is akin to Holmgren's offense.

But i was trying to answer the poster's question:

but how does it compare to Zorn's/Lewis'?

to which i answered:

I think his WCO is more like Sherman Lewis then Jim Zorn, but who knows what Zorn would have called if he the same pass-protection as Sherman Lewis?

I was simply saying that Shanny's offense will look more like our offense with Lewis calling the plays then it would look like our offense with Zorn calling the plays.

(Not to mention that Lewis and Shanny have worked together during the 49er superbowls where Shanny was the OC/playcaller and Lewis was the receivers coach)

I don't undertand you're point about Seifert?

He's a defensive coach he had no 'offensive' philosophy to speak of.

Mike Shanahan is great with offense. Without John Elway, Shanahan's Broncos had some .500 plus seasons, but they could not duplicate the same success once Elway retired from the NFL. As for defense and personnel moves, I hope Shanny gets better at if he is the Redskins New Head Coach. Along with bringing his son Kyle to be the offensive coordinator, maybe he (Mike Shanahan) can get John Elway to be the Redskins Quarterbacks Coach. I highly doubt that, though. Hopefully, Greg Blache stays on board as the Redskins Defensive Coordinator. He just needs a secondary to cover more better.

Can anyone give me a primer on Shanahan's offense? I realize he ran a West Coast offense, but how does it compare to Zorn's/Lewis'?

the big thing i remember is a ton of bootlegs, a ton off roll outs and a ton of playaction roll outs ... i mean, remember the skins playing and jake plummer rolling out on almost every play.

he ran a ton of stretch running plays, and i also remember alot of tosses.

i think the coolest story is the one Steve Young told before the super bowl against the chargers in America's Game. Shanny was the OC and basically they were like, there was no chance in the world San Diego would win because Shanny's gameplan was so freaking air tight and spot on. just hearing the confidence they had in how they were going to attack the charger def gives me chills.

I'll give you what I think I know.

Much of Shanny's success in Denver can be credited to Alex Gibbs's zone-blocking techniques, some of which are now illegal and the rest have been adapted into the schemes of several teams including the Redskins. Zone-blocking was more effective when it was new and innovative.

The passing game was successful with Cutler and Elway, QBs with outstanding individual talent.

It was a big play offense, both running and passing. That's 180 degrees away from the Walsh brand WCO, a scheme built for ball control.

Kubiak's scheme in Houston, where Mike's son is the OC, is closer to the Zorn scheme, but we can't be sure Shanahan would change his stripes.

whoa, it sounds like you are giving the man any credit.

I wonder could it be that Shanahan as team President and Jon Gruden as Head Coach?

I feel like that is too many cooks in the kitchen. Shanahan and Gruden both appear to be Type-A guys, and I just don't see anything getting done. Danny would end up being the tie breaker.

Just say no to Shanahan. One playoff win after Elway left, look at the teams improvement without him this year. Give me Gruden or keep Zorn.

I think Shanny and Chucky both have their faults.

The arguement with Shanny is a Chicken and Egg issue: Elway never won anything before Shanny, but Shanny never won anything after Elway.

As far as offense after Elway, from 2002-2008, Shanny's Denver teams were: 3rd, 7th, 5th, 5th, 21st, 11th, 2nd in total offense. (with Qbs during that tenure of Griese*, Plummer and Cutler)

If anything, it was defensive failures that limited Shanny's Broncos post-Elway.

As far as Gruden goes, he won with a team assemble without him, and a defense that was masterminded by future HOF-coordinator Monte Kiffin. Gruden was hired as an offensive mind for Tampa.

Duing the same 2002-2008 tenure, Gruden's Tampa offenses were: 24th, 10th, 22nd, 23rd, 29th, 18th, 14th in total offense. (with QBs of Johnson, Griese*, Simms, Gradkowski, and Garcia)

Tampa won the SB, and were stable during their Gruden years more due to the Tampa-2 and their 5 future-HOF defensive players (Brooks, Barber, Rice, Sapp, and Lynch) than anything Gruden brought.

If we are hiring a coach because he is young(er) and firey, then Gruden is the pick. If we are hiring an offensive mind to help created a balanced team to win the SB, Shanny's our man.

*maybe we should ask Brian Griese what he thinks of each coach

Listen guys, this is the best we can do. Between Shanahan and Bruce Allen, Daniel Snyder has to take a back seat. Both these guys have the resume that puts stars in Danny boy's eyes. So there will be limited Danny Boy meddling. I just want to see what they do about personnel (probably the most important thing.)

Archived