Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denver Post: Shanahan appears headed to Redskins

AzSkinsFan63

Yes, although with Cerrato it seems that there was some give and take between Cerrato and Snyder. I can't believe people think that this is appropriate behavior. The culture at Redskins park is one of infighting, sniping, and get what you can for yourself instead of thinking about the team. That comes from Snyder. It comes from actions like this.

Sorry. You are wrong. If you've decided that a change has to be made, you put the pieces in place while the pieces you want are still available. I'd imagine that Zorn has already been told he will be released from his contract at the end of the Season.

Sorry. You are wrong. If you've decided that a change has to be made, you put the pieces in place while the pieces you want are still available. I'd imagine that Zorn has already been told he will be released from his contract at the end of the Season.

If they've talked to Zorn about it, that makes things better. But it doesn't take most teams a month to hire a new coach. Other teams seem to be able to manage it in a week or two because they aren't repeatedly turned down by qualified candidates who don't want to work in a toxic environment.

Yes, although with Cerrato it seems that there was some give and take between Cerrato and Snyder. I can't believe people think that this is appropriate behavior. The culture at Redskins park is one of infighting, sniping, and get what you can for yourself instead of thinking about the team. That comes from Snyder. It comes from actions like this.

Do you think this doesn't happen in many businesses? Corporations just fire someone without anybody to replace the work they put in? The world continues to turn.

Jeremy Bates, current USC Asst. HC/QB coach, who was the QB coach in Denver.

God, I hope not. I've had to sit through his terrible playcalling all college season. This turkey a) doesn't play to his team's strengths and B) has no love for misdirection to keep the defense off balance. Just say no to Bates.

Do you think this doesn't happen in many businesses? Corporations just fire someone without anybody to replace the work they put in? The world continues to turn.

First of all, just because it happens in other organizations doesn't make it right. And secondly, the NFL is a small circle of people where reputation matters. Snyder has a reputation of constant disrespect for his employees - that makes his job more difficult.

I thought Shanahan was fired from the Broncos for bad personnel moves.

Ultimately he was fired because he couldn't handle being the GM and the HC. He had trouble putting together a stable defense and the last straw was losing 3 games in a row when he needed 1 to clinch.

If he comes here, he will have some control of the roster but also have to agree with Allen and most likely one other Front Office manager in charge of player-personnel.

The problem is Allen is reputedly not a personnel guy. More of a cap guy. So it's hard to make him the big Kahuna.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8150a16a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Redskins will explore candidates to round out the front office in player-personnel roles, according to sources, with current personnel executives such as Eric DeCosta (Baltimore), Bobby DePaul (Chicago) and Doug Williams (Tampa Bay) among possibilities. The Redskins came close to hiring DePaul to replace Cerrato twice during the Gibbs regime, according to sources, and DeCosta, a rising star as Ozzie Newsome's top lieutenant with the Ravens, began his career with the Redskins. Williams won a Super Bowl as the Redskins' quarterback and worked under Allen for the Buccaneers in personnel.

Bruce Allen is not a personnel guy. He is a former agent. His expertise is contract negotiation/salary cap management.

Shanahan can pick the talent and it would work out.

Maybe it can work if Shanahan does end up coaching this team, but I still would like a guy like Eric DeCosta as a go between the two.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8150a16a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Redskins will explore candidates to round out the front office in player-personnel roles, according to sources, with current personnel executives such as Eric DeCosta (Baltimore), Bobby DePaul (Chicago) and Doug Williams (Tampa Bay) among possibilities. The Redskins came close to hiring DePaul to replace Cerrato twice during the Gibbs regime, according to sources, and DeCosta, a rising star as Ozzie Newsome's top lieutenant with the Ravens, began his career with the Redskins. Williams won a Super Bowl as the Redskins' quarterback and worked under Allen for the Buccaneers in personnel.

That would be great. Of course, I would still worry that Snyder would be the "arbiter" of disputes like was with Gibbs/Cerrato, but DeCosta deserves a chance at being head guy.

Can anyone give me a primer on Shanahan's offense? I realize he ran a West Coast offense, but how does it compare to Zorn's/Lewis'?

WCO, though he uses a lot of stretch running plays. Prefers smaller, athletic lineman who unfortunately cut block way too much for my liking. A lot of bootlegs (which I think suits Campbell) on his passing calls. IMHO, he was one of the very best in game play callers when he was in Denver. I'd be very happy to have him coaching assuming someone is brought in to compliment him in the personnel department.

Archived