Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES 53 MAN ROSTER: Runningback (Choose 3)

KDawg

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The original thread can be found here: http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=307499

As usual, if I left someone off that you feel is deserving, please don't be afraid to vote for "other" and leave a post in this thread about who you want to vote for.

Another note: Players can make the team at more than one position. We will end this thing with 53 DIFFERENT players on the roster, so if a player makes it for two positions (or more) we will have a poll based on the top vote getters to re-vote on and see who gets the "wild card" spots.

For the first time, we’re taking three players and we’re voting for three players. Usually we vote for less than we take, but there are some VERY tough choices here, so let’s see what happens

CHOOSE THREE!!!!!!!!!

1932-1937 Cliff Battles

-6 seasons

-839 carries

-3,511 yards

-4.2 YPC

-23 TD

-38 receptions, 546 yards, 4 TD

-ALL PRO in 1933, 1934, 1936

-NFL HALL OF FAMER CLASS OF ‘68

-Spent his entire career as a Washington Redskin (Played for Boston, which is obviously part of our franchise)

1969-1976 Larry Brown

-8 seasons

-1,530 carries

-5,875 yards

-3.8 YPC

-35 TD

-238 receptions, 2,485 yards, 20 TD

-Pro Bowler in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972

-ALL PRO in 1970, 1972

-Spent his entire career as a Washington Redskin

1976-1985 John Riggins

-9 seasons

-1,988 carries

-7,472 yards

-3.8 YPC

-79 TD

-121 receptions, 928 yards, 6 TD

-ALL PRO in 1983

-NFL HALL OF FAMER CLASS OF ‘92

1981-1984 Joe Washington

-4 seasons

-455 carries

-2,070 yards

-4.5 YPC

-6 TD

-149 receptions, 1,220 yards, 10 TD

1989-1993 Earnest Byner

-5 seasons

-990 carries

-3,950 yards

-4.0 YPC

-25 TD

-185 receptions, 1,577 yards, 10 TD

-Pro Bowler in 1990, 1991

1995-1998 Terry Allen

-4 seasons

-1,043 carries

-4,086 yards

-3.9 YPC

-37 TD

-100 receptions, 726 yards, 2 TD

-Pro Bowler in 1996

1996-2002 Stephen Davis

-7 seasons

-1,383 carries

-5,790 yards

-4.2 YPC

-45 TD

-146 receptions, 1,168 yards, 3 TD

-Pro Bowler in 1999, 2000

2004-Current Clinton Portis

-6 seasons

-1,613 carries

-6,597 yards

-4.1 YPC

-44 TD

-171 receptions, 1,275 yards, 3 TD

-Pro Bowler in 2008

I realize I left a few notable backs off, so if you want to vote for them please do so with the other vote. I didn't feel they would get enough votes to qualify me taking up time putting them on here.

That said, this is an interesting group.

Riggins only had a 3.8 YPC, but he's the franchise leader for yards and leads all of these backs in TDs.

Larry Brown is far and away the top receiving back and spent his entire career with us.

Joe Washington had a 4.5 YPC and the highest among this group.

Cliff Battles is a 3 time All-Pro, a Hall of Famer and spent his entire career with us.

Stephen Davis and Clinton Portis gave us their bodies and are among our all-time rushing leaders.

Each guy up there has something they did for this franchise that's HUGE.

Tough vote here.

No way Portis shoul;d more votes than Byner or Stephen Davis

Why not? He holds the single season rushing record and if he comes back next year, will probably have the all-time rushing record. He was very valuable to this team in 2005 and 2007. He's definitely one of our top 3 RBs of all-time.

I'm showing my generational bigotry by not choosing Cliff Battles (though I know I should) but on the other hand I am deferring to those a bit older than me who swear by Larry Brown. I don't remember Brown and his best seasons were when I was in a crib, but I voted for him over Stephen Davis because I just feel that he's got way too many advocates to ignore.

Riggins and Portis were no brainers.

The original post makes it look like Riggo never made a Pro Bowl. Is that true? CAN it be true?

I voted: Riggo, Brown, Davis.

It's really hard to believe that Davis spent SEVEN years here, one more than Portis. I have to remind myself that he spent the first three seasons of his career mostly riding the pine as Terry Allen got the bulk of the carries. I always thought his talents were being wasted behind Allen. Anyone who saw him @ Auburn should remember how fast AND powerful he was in his younger days. He was actually a state sprinting champion.

Why not? He holds the single season rushing record and if he comes back next year, will probably have the all-time rushing record. He was very valuable to this team in 2005 and 2007. He's definitely one of our top 3 RBs of all-time.

Yeah but has half the heart. Don't get me wrong I appreciate Portis at those times and actually I think he is more worthy than Davis, but Byner had his share of times when he carried the team especially late in 1990, I guess his practice habits just turn me off where as Earnest Byner gave you everything

Yeah but has half the heart. Don't get me wrong I appreciate Portis at those times and actually I think he is more worthy than Davis, but Byner had his share of times when he carried the team especially late in 1990, I guess his practice habits just turn me off where as Earnest Byner gave you everything

Portis gave everything too. How many other RBs go all out to block a blitzing LB? He played hurt many times, maybe he shouldn't have, but CP always was out there busting his butt.

WTF? Seriously? How in the hell did he never make a pro bowl with the Skins? Even more, how does a guy make the Hall of Fame for crying out loud, without making more than one pro bowl? And I think we would all agree he made the HOF based on the merits of his time in DC, not NY.

Actually he made the HOF based on an even thinner slice than just his time in DC.

He made it thanks to the 82 playoffs and 83 and 84 seasons.

To slice it even further, he made it because he had a signature run in SB17 and his fumble late in that game (that would have been historically tragic) was not counted as such.

Riggins, despite what some may wish to believe, could very easily not be in the HOF right now if fate had gone another way in Pasadena.

Beyond that, the Pro Bowl was based on a voting of your peers and the HOF is a vote from the media. Riggins was not as respected, as an elite runner, by his peers whereas he was adored by the media. That is why you have the disconnect between Pro Bowls and HOF.

Archived