Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disney's new movie has a black princess and I couldn't care less

Toe Jam

I saw it with my family; it was a really good Disney film.

The fact that the princess is black IS a big deal, since it's a first for Disney. For a little girl playing with her Disney princess dolls, there must be some sort of impact of a princess that looks similar to her. I believe that it's a retroactively bigger deal for adult women who grew up without the black Disney princess (to see it happen), rather than a big deal for children who grow up in a world with Princess Tianna. To our daughter who is almost 4, and her brother who's 6, she was just a cartoon character who's a princess. To my wife (who's black) I swear she had a tear in her eye. Our son was kind of bored, and asked for his DS halfway through. For me, it had the typical Disney movie flow with musical numbers and what not, and the character could've been white and it still would've worked. To each their own, I suppose.

I can't believe anyone would have any question about her skin tone, as it was clearly brown to me. There is no question, that this is a black girl with black parents. The prince was from some country I'd never heard of, but was definitely brown as well.

I wonder if there will be more demographics to conquer- handicapped, gay, etc??

I saw it with my family; it was a really good Disney film.

The fact that the princess is black IS a big deal, since it's a first for Disney. For a little girl playing with her Disney princess dolls, there must be some sort of impact of a princess that looks similar to her. I believe that it's a retroactively bigger deal for adult women who grew up without the black Disney princess (to see it happen), rather than a big deal for children who grow up in a world with Princess Tianna. To our daughter who is almost 4, and her brother who's 6, she was just a cartoon character who's a princess. To my wife (who's black) I swear she had a tear in her eye. Our son was kind of bored, and asked for his DS halfway through. For me, it had the typical Disney movie flow with musical numbers and what not, and the character could've been white and it still would've worked. To each their own, I suppose.

I can't believe anyone would have any question about her skin tone, as it was clearly brown to me. There is no question, that this is a black girl with black parents. The prince was from some country I'd never heard of, but was definitely brown as well.

I wonder if there will be more demographics to conquer- handicapped, gay, etc??

Dude, you thought the princess was hot, didn't ya????

So here's my question: Why is the race of an animated Disney character a big deal?

1) I remember a few years back, the NAACP (I think it was them) filed a suit asking for the book Tom Sawyer to be banned. Their objection was that the character Slave Jim said things like "Lawsey, massah Sawyer", and they felt that this character was so insulting to blacks that the entire story should be banned.

When the law suit was discussed, it was pointed out that when Twain first published Tom Sawyer, a lot of people wanted it banned then, too. And those folks wanted it banned because of Slave Jim.

They objected to a book in which a black man was the Good Guy. Especially since he became the good guy by killing the Bad Guy (who wasn't white, but he wasn't black, either.)

2) Remember the threads when a rumor was started that one of the people at Hogwarts was gay? Never mind that his (supposed) orientation was never mentioned, or even hinted at, once in all of the books. The mere fact that this one fictional person might be gay outside the book was a sign of the coming End of Days.

Brian Piccolo was a Fullback. White fullback's are fairly common I think. Although Mike Alstott was a FB who was also a feature back I'd say.

You have to be born into royalty, though. which is what this thread is about. Same deal as NFL HBs though. LOL

There were times back in my late teens and service days,when my friends and I,(black,white,yellow,whatever),would sit down and have fairly interesting round table discussions about racism. All of us having our own experiences dealing with it directly or indirectly. Very point blank discussions with some very point blank questions and answers. One time,when asked about my views and how I wasn't racist,I simply answered "I wasn't raised that way." That was well over 20 years ago and haven't forgotten it. We'll know when we've come even further a long the way when something like this isn't Made in to a big deal.

Same here even though its more recently to me it doesnt matter what the color of the skin is

wow, I can't believe all of you putting up a hissy fit.

If it's a non-issue its a GOOD thing. Gezzus The sooner we become a color blind society the better, then we won't have to deal with all of the idiots clinging to the past who believe this is an issue one way or another.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but believe me I will (I love Disney and I'm not ashamed :D). When I see it, I'll go and see the first Disney cartoon made in a decade, not some political statement, and that's where I'll get my satisfaction. I think Dr. King would be ecstatic that I don't give a damn one way or another what the color of the main character of the movie is.

Archived