Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disney's new movie has a black princess and I couldn't care less

Toe Jam

In case you haven't heard (I doubt it), Disney's new movie "The Princess and the Frog" apparently stars a black princess.

And guess what.

This is a big deal for some reason.

Front page of CNN, anyone? Oh yes!

88229244.jpg

Read a review of it recently? You might see wonderful gems like this one:

This is the first Disney animated film about an African-American princess, and this delightful fairy tale couldn't come at a better time, what with the two little African-American princesses who live in the White House.

So here's my question: Why is the race of an animated Disney character a big deal? It's an honest question. Is this how we judge the status of racial issues in our country? All of a sudden things are great because we have a half black President and a black animated Disney character?

This kind of crap takes the focus away from how things really are IMO. This country has a long way to go in dealing with racial issues and I just don't see why the media wants to make a huge fuss over this.

Please explain!

Well, Disney has touted this thing for years, mostly as a "black princess" movie. And the stupidiots in the media, suffering from acute white guilt, have just gone nuts.

You know, it's sad to say that a truely great day in America will be when we could have talked about the return of the 2-D musical Disney film, and if it would measure up. Maybe a sidenote would mention that this film will be one of only a handfull of times Disney princesses have been other than white. This is so freaking backward from "I have a dream."

Well, Disney has touted this thing for years, mostly as a "black princess" movie. And the stupidiots in the media, suffering from acute white guilt, have just gone nuts.

You know, it's sad to say that a truely great day in America will be when we could have talked about the return of the 2-D musical Disney film, and if it would measure up. Maybe a sidenote would mention that this film will be one of only a handfull of times Disney princesses have been other than white. This is so freaking backward from "I have a dream."

Excellent post and I thank you for actually reading the OP before commenting.

Gold star for you.

Yes, you see my point perfectly.

toe jam literally has made the tailgate unreadable.

****ing internet whore

No. It,like the Stadium,has been somewhat unreadable at times anyway. Same old bull****,different day. And yeah. I get the point of this thread. Funny. It never even crossed my mind until I saw this thread.

Race will always be an issue as long as it is keep being brought up by the media. When I saw the previews for this the first thought hey its a 2D cartoon film, cool. I didn't even notice she was a "black princess".

This is what I'm talking about.

I saw the preview and said oh, cool, Disney is making another hand drawn cartoon. Might be nostalgic to see.

But then the media turned it into a race thing. Did you know there are some media outlets that are pissed they didn't make the guy black, too? I don't get it, I really don't.

I think the point is that children watch Disney movies. Their movies are pretty much a staple for American society. Pretty much every kid growing up in this country has watched Disney movies. It's actually a smart move by Disney, although it's a few decades too late.

To answer your question, the kids that are going to watch these movies have no idea who Obama is, or what race is, or what hate is. But they will watch the the movies and learn that princesses and heroes can be something other than white. Maybe it sounds trite to a 21 year old, but it is a very small step towards equality.

Maybe it sounds trite to a 21 year old, but it is a very small step towards equality.

Fair enough, and I won't bash your point.

But I just fail to see how having a black Disney princess is a real step towards equality.

Shouldn't we measure race equality by other things?

While I think the media plays up race issues way to much in my opinion, I do think that we have advanced in race issues. This was not done by the government or the media but by average Americans, neighbors and communities. This movie would never have been made back in the 60's or even 70's.

To answer your question, the kids that are going to watch these movies have no idea who Obama is, or what race is, or what hate is. But they will watch the the movies and learn that princesses and heroes can be something other than white. Maybe it sounds trite to a 21 year old, but it is a very small step towards equality.

It's my opinion that racism is a learned trait. I doubt anyone it born racist. It is something that is learned.

Put a black, asian, and white kid in a sandbox and I bet they will all play and laugh together and not think anything about the color of their skin.

It's my opinion that racism is a learned trait. I doubt anyone it born racist. It is something that is learned.

Put a black, asian, and white kid in a sandbox and I bet they will all play and laugh together and not think anything about the color of their skin.

There were times back in my late teens and service days,when my friends and I,(black,white,yellow,whatever),would sit down and have fairly interesting round table discussions about racism. All of us having our own experiences dealing with it directly or indirectly. Very point blank discussions with some very point blank questions and answers. One time,when asked about my views and how I wasn't racist,I simply answered "I wasn't raised that way." That was well over 20 years ago and haven't forgotten it. We'll know when we've come even further a long the way when something like this isn't Made in to a big deal.

But then the media turned it into a race thing. Did you know there are some media outlets that are pissed they didn't make the guy black, too? I don't get it, I really don't.

What's kinda funny about the whole thing is... when Disney decided to do this, you know there was a long meeting discussing how the controversy would impact them.

And... sadly... they know the controversy will make them money as well as give them free publicity.

Think of the numbers of people who will see it or talk about it because they're pissed off.

Well, she is definately not as pasty-white as the previous Disney princesses (except Jasmine from Aladdin, who also had a little color to her), but I doubt she'd be more than 1/4 "black" if her skin was that pale in real life.

But that's just what I see. She's still very pale for a black princess.

Very true.

To make this somewhat relevant, I noticed 15 or so years ago that TV commercials were being a bit more "progressive", in that they started featuring interracial couples. That was during a prime Political Corrrectness-fest, and the number of interracial couples on commercials has decreased since then, at least based on my vague assesment.

But I'm looking forward to seeing gay couples on TV commercials. Some companies want to be progressive, and some want to target a broader market. For either reason a gay commercial might signify some kind of shift. Someone should do an essay on commercials as cultural bellweathers.

Archived