Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Ganther to start Sunday

MattFancy

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/ganther-to-start-over-cartwrig.html

Ganther to start over Cartwright at RB

Quinton Ganther will be the starting running back Sunday in Oakland, Rick Maese reports via Twitter, with Rock Cartwright back to returning kicks (a move that Cartwright said disappoints him).

Coach Jim Zorn confirmed that move today and, in other quick hits from the post-practice availability, Zorn said it was his decision to cut kicker Shaun Suisham on Tuesday.

DeAngelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth both are questionable for Sunday, Zorn said. With his ailing knee, Hall, as a joke of sorts, didn't walk to the media group, Maese tweets, he was wheeled over in a chair. Asked about returning when he's full-speed, Hall replied that, at 80 percent, he's faster than opposing WRs.

It frustrates me that they're moving Rock back to returning kicks. In a 3-9 season, why don't you audition these young guys(Devin Thomas)? We already know what Rock can do returning kicks.... not much.

Maybe its because they want Devin to become more involved in the offense and there's no point risking injury for him on special teams?

Maybe its because they want Devin to become more involved in the offense and there's no point risking injury for him on special teams?

Took the words right out of my mouth! I see this as a good sign. I'm sure this weeks game plan is going to feature Thomas, and as such they wanted to put Cartwright back on KR. The fact that Ganther has looked good only made the decision easier.

Took the words right out of my mouth! I see this as a good sign. I'm sure this weeks game plan is going to feature Thomas, and as such they wanted to put Cartwright back on KR. The fact that Ganther has looked good only made the decision easier.

This will be Devin's week again. Moss will be shadowed by Asamougha most of the time, so Thomas will see plenty of chances.

:doh: Why?

Did Rock do something wrong?

I know he'll still get his carries but what type of message does that send?

Rock answered the bell when his time came and we can't him 6 carries before they bring Ganther in.

Not so much Rock did anything wrong, but Ganther was playing well too. He was averaging more yards per carry than Rock. Rock will still get a good amount of touches, he just won't be the main guy.

Not so much Rock did anything wrong, but Ganther was playing well too. He was averaging more yards per carry than Rock. Rock will still get a good amount of touches, he just won't be the main guy.

Then why make Ganther the starter?

It seems like the team is predisposed to not giving Rock a chance.

He had 13 carries for 39 yards and a few of his carries were goalline runs that got stuffed by no fault of Rock.

He also had 3 catches for 31 yards.

In my book 13 carries isn't enough especially when Ganther came in after just 5 carries.

Then why make Ganther the starter?

It seems like the team is predisposed to not giving Rock a chance.

He had 13 carries for 39 yards and a few of his carries were goalline runs that got stuffed by no fault of Rock.

He also had 3 catches for 31 yards.

In my book 13 carries isn't enough especially when Ganther came in after just 5 carries.

And Ganther averaged 6 yards per carry against the Saints. I think the last 2 games Ganther is close to 5 yards per carry. Which is better than Rock's average of about 3. I don't think its a slight towards Rock, they are just going with whoever is playing well. Isn't that what we've all wanted all along?

Ganther has looked sharp running the ball. He has an ability to make defenders miss, unlike other backs we've seen this season. I have not seen the Raiders play much this season but if stats are a good indicator it might be a game in which the running game could have a huge impact and an opportunity for Ganther to make a name for himself.

Ganther runs hard and I've only seen positives out of his play. I used to love mason but he seems like he can't do the job on short yardage situations and his blocking isn't as good as the other RBs. I guess he's supposed to be our home run threat but Rock and Ganther just look better.

What do you think we'll do next year? Are we gonna find a way to keep Ganther?

If DT is stepping up as your starting WR, do you want him on kickoffs too? Its why you would only see Moss back there from time to time.

What they need to do is tell ARE to go back there on Kickoffs instead of punt returns so the team can get some worth out of his salary. Maybe giving him some more room to run will help out instead of having defenders in his face as soon as the ball is punted to him.

:doh: Why?

Did Rock do something wrong?

I know he'll still get his carries but what type of message does that send?

Rock answered the bell when his time came and we can't him 6 carries before they bring Ganther in.

Rock "answered the bell"??...

WE'VE HAD A WHOPPING THREE RUSHING TDs FROM OUR RUNNING BACKS ALL SEASON!!! lol...Nobody has "answered the bell" when it comes to our running backs.

And Ganther averaged 6 yards per carry against the Saints. I think the last 2 games Ganther is close to 5 yards per carry. Which is better than Rock's average of about 3. I don't think its a slight towards Rock, they are just going with whoever is playing well. Isn't that what we've all wanted all along?

I'm not knocking Ganther in anyway.

All i'm saying is that Rock didn't play poorly.

Sure Ganther has better stats but i think you can throw out 3-4 of Rocks carries because he got stuffed in the backfield.

From what i say Rock was running hard making good reads and good cuts.

Rock made the same point i was making in my earlier post:

"It's kind of hard for a running back to get in a rhythm when you have five carries in the first half, then you don't carry the ball again until the second half," Cartwright said. "It's hard to produce that way. Going in the game [and] telling the back you're gonna take two series and this guy's gonna take two series, it's hard to get hot. You're doing RB by committee, you got to go off a feel, who's playing better. When you give somebody five carries in the first half, they don't play again until the second half, of course you can't expect somebody to go out and be fresh right then.

"It doesn't matter who it is. I think you have to give a running back the opportunity to get a rhythm. You can't go into the game saying, we're gonna give you two series, we're gonna give this guy two series, we're gonna give this guy two series. When you're doing running back by committee, you can ask any running back in the league, if you go in the game and you get five carries and not get another carry until the second half - what do they expect? I think I might've had five carries for 20-some-odd yards in the first series and then I don't carry the ball again until the second half? I mean, that's crazy."

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=311179

If you add the receiving yards Rock had a better game them Ganther.

Either way he didn't play poorly to deserve essentially getting benched.

Something doesn't feel right about it imo.

Rock hasn't had more then 15 carries in any game.

Give the dude the same load as Betts before name someone else the starter.

You can easily give Ganther more carries without making him the starter.

Archived