Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rocky - MLB of the Future?

method man

Do you guys think we are grooming Rocky to be the MLB of the future? He is certainly smart enough and a good steady tackler. I would argue that in a 4-3 defense, of all the linebacker spots, MLB is probably most important and it concerns me we may not have an obvious replacement. However, Rocky now weighs 238 and has the bulk to shed blocks better now.

I've been thinking about this. It could happen but probably won't. He's set for RFA this year, if he was in our long term plans for MLB, you think they would have given him a deal by now.

I would worry about moving Rocky inside because we don't have another weakside linebacker on the roster, and certainly not one as good as Rocky. I would actually argue that WLB is the more difficult linebacker spot to fill because of the coverage responsibilities it draws and the skill set you've got to have from a guy to be a good one. If we drafted someone like Navorro Bowman or Sean Weatherspoon, then I think Rocky moving inside becomes much more likely. But as it is, he's our best option at WLB.

Also Rocky isn't a very physical linebacker and I think he'd struggle to consistently stack and shed. His strengths are in pursuit and he's in the best position to get to the ball when he's playing weak side. I think it's much more likely that you'll see Blades come in and start at MLB which he could be effective at given how strong and stout he is playing the run.

Right now, Rocky is being used more of as a coverage linebacker than anything. I've even seen the coaching staff go to formations where they take him out and play Blades and Kedric Golston at LB beside Fletcher on running downs. We're having trouble plugging the run inside this season, I'm not sure Rocky would be the best guy to move inside.

I've been thinking about this. It could happen but probably won't. He's set for RFA this year, if he was in our long term plans for MLB, you think they would have given him a deal by now.

I would worry about moving Rocky inside because we don't have another weakside linebacker on the roster, and certainly not one as good as Rocky. I would actually argue that WLB is the more difficult linebacker spot to fill because of the coverage responsibilities it draws and the skill set you've got to have from a guy to be a good one. If we drafted someone like Navorro Bowman or Sean Weatherspoon, then I think Rocky moving inside becomes much more likely. But as it is, he's our best option at WLB.

Also Rocky isn't a very physical linebacker and I think he'd struggle to consistently stack and shed. His strengths are in pursuit and he's in the best position to get to the ball when he's playing weak side. I think it's much more likely that you'll see Blades come in and start at MLB which he could be effective at given how strong and stout he is playing the run.

Right now, Rocky is being used more of as a coverage linebacker than anything. I've even seen the coaching staff go to formations where they take him out and play Blades and Kedric Golston at LB beside Fletcher on running downs. We're having trouble plugging the run inside this season, I'm not sure Rocky would be the best guy to move inside.

Blades, is a career backup, at best. He lacks the sideline-to-sideline speed that Fletcher has.

The thing I like about Rocky is that he's very athletic, but he hits very hard and excels at those plays where he has to quickly close gaps, which is exactly why we are always very good at run stuffing on Goal Line and 3rd/4th and Short situations.

If he played in Baltimore or Pittsburgh, I think he'd be a Pro Bowler.

andyburd i am with you

Dansby is more of a 3-4 ILB/4-3 SLB I think. He'd be somewhat of a liability in coverage playing the middle here. If we got him, I think our best bet would be to play him at SAM. The problem with signing him is that the Cardinals will probably franchise him. If they do that, then I'd rather just draft a SAM instead of giving up picks for him. If not, then he could be an interesting option.

Dansby is more of a 3-4 ILB/4-3 SLB I think. He'd be somewhat of a liability in coverage playing the middle here. If we got him, I think our best bet would be to play him at SAM. The problem with signing him is that the Cardinals will probably franchise him. If they do that, then I'd rather just draft a SAM instead of giving up picks for him. If not, then he could be an interesting option.

I think Skins can find cheaper alternatives than Dansby. Maybe Derrick Johnson from the Chiefs for SAM.

The main concern with Rocky is how well his knees hold up. He's been said to suffer from degenerative knee condition which was part of why he slipped to the 2nd.

That said, he's got the build, he's got the motor and he's got the instincts. I don't see why he wouldn't be a natural successor to Fletcher when he hangs it up or can't go any longer.

Blades has done well every time he has been given a chance. He's solid not flashy and a good worker. He's very much in the mold of a Fletcher or Neil Olkiewitz and I'd be very comfortable with him out on the field. Heck, when he played outside linebacker our d was very strong with him. Blades weakness is that he isn't a good blitzer, but otherwise, he's been a great blue collar guy for us.

I agree. Blades struggled badly last season though IMO. He's been better this season. We have not been good at drafting LB's as a whole IMO. I really wish we would have gotten Brandon Siler a couple of drafts ago in the 7th. I'm still scratching my head about that one. I wonder what the deal is with Wilson too. I've always wanted to give him a shot at the LB position. I'm not sure how he is faring. He seems like a candidate to fill the MLB slot.

I've been really impressed with Rocky the past few weeks, not so much in coverage (which he's fairly good at), but in his speed and pursuit of the ballcarrier. His instincts are improving and he wraps up and makes the sure tackle. His downsides are that he still needs to get better at shedding tackles and he's not the biggest LB (but not sure I want him to bulk up with kis knees).

That said, I don't think we should transition him to MLB. He's still fitting into his current role, and I want to see us draft a natural MLB who can hit a bit harder. In other news, Fletcher is a beast, definitely underappreciated.

I don't think you transition him to MLB b/c he's pretty damn good where he's at. No need to move a guy to another position on defense =). I think London can hold up for another year or two. Hopefully, the FO can go ahead and fix some of the emergency needs in the next year or two. When the time is right, the team needs to add a monster prospect at the MLB position. I've always felt a monster MLB is needed for a good defense.

I don't think you transition him to MLB b/c he's pretty damn good where he's at. No need to move a guy to another position on defense =). I think London can hold up for another year or two. Hopefully, the FO can go ahead and fix some of the emergency needs in the next year or two. When the time is right, the team needs to add a monster prospect at the MLB position. I've always felt a monster MLB is needed for a good defense.

It's too bad we have all these other holes, because 2 of the best MLB prospects in years, McClain and Spikes, are coming out this year in the draft.

Archived