Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell: 'Offseason ... will take care of itself'

redskin01fan

Coaches have praised quarterback Jason Campbell for his role in the improvement of the offense recently despite the loss of several key players.

While playing behind a patchwork offensive line, Campbell the last few weeks has made more plays in the passing game and with his feet than he did earlier in the season, helping the Redskins move the ball. And Campbell also has connected more frequently with second-year wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly and tight end Fred Davis.

But the bottom line, Campbell said, is that the Redskins are 3-8, so his personal accomplishments don't mean much.

"This is your career, this is what you do, and I always work to do the best I can for my team first," Campbell said. "And in this business, no matter the situation, whether it's a good situation or whether it's a bad situation, you're judged on how you handle it. You want to make sure that you're doing what you need to do to get through any situation. And for me right now, at this point, a lot of it has to do with pride. Regardless that everyone is injured and everything that's going on, I just want to go out there and try to put my best foot forward and continue to fight, continue to move on and not give up.

"I couldn't tell you why we've been going through all these difficulties, but a lot of guys are showing a lot of character by the way we've continued to fight these last three games. We've pretty much been in the hole, but no one's given up, so that speaks volumes. I don't know about the future and what's going to happen, and I really haven't thought about it because that's not going to help me. I'm just focused on these last five games and trying to finish the season on a strong note. The offseason, and whatever is going to happen, will take care of itself."

:logo::logo::logo::helmet::helmet::helmet::logo::logo::logo:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/campbell-offseason-will-take-c.html?wpisrc=nl_sports

I for one think Campbell is stepping up and playing well. He is not an elite Qb and misses alot of open receivers, but you have to give the guy mad credit for battling through this crappy season and playing his butt off. He has been knocked around like a rag doll with no penelties being called and he keeps coming back. I will give this team credit for coming out the 2nd half after the Atlanta game and finally playing with heart and continuing on with this mentality even though the season is .500 at best (If by some miracle we beat the Saints this weekend). I know it was 6 or 7 games too late for this type of play to finally start, but better late than never! Thoughts?

I think it is unfair that some people question Campbell's work ethic and dedication. I don't think he's a great leader or a great quarterback, in fact I feel he is quite mediocre in both areas but at the same time he really does try hard. You can fault him for not hitting open WR's, not standing in the pocket well, taking too long to make his reads and get rid of the ball, etc. but at least he's working hard every play. Thats more than we could say about players like Santana Moss.

He is not an elite Qb and misses alot of open receivers, but you have to give the guy mad credit for battling through this crappy season and playing his butt off.

1) I want an elite QB

2) No contract next year. He HAS to play at 199%, else few would be interested.

3) He has had enough time in my mind to show a large improvement. I would prefer to try someone else at the helm.

I think it is unfair that some people question Campbell's work ethic and dedication. I don't think he's a great leader or a great quarterback, in fact I feel he is quite mediocre in both areas but at the same time he really does try hard. You can fault him for not hitting open WR's, not standing in the pocket well, taking too long to make his reads and get rid of the ball, etc. but at least he's working hard every play. Thats more than we could say about players like Santana Moss.

So, what would you qualify as a great leader or quarterback?!

He isn't going demand a rediculous contract, so you might as well bring him back. You look at who's avaliable this offseason, he's the most proven of those who are actually going to be avaliable to sign with us (Orton isn't going anywhere). *meh

it seems like the best course of action to get some youth into the offensive line and then see who's available down the road (really don't want to draft Clausen).

of course that means they'll draft our new "franchise qb" in the top 10

Campbell is mediocre; a 50/50 qb...there is no doubt about that. JC's time with this team is coming to an end. That being said, people using juvenile descriptive words such as:

- "candle"

- "coward"

- "loser"

- "simple"

- "slow"

- "fraud"

- "coach killer"

- "team cancer" (I really hate that one)

- "actor" (when he got slung down during the last play of last weeks game)

......are really selling this guy short as a professional. If you honestly believe he is only trying hard due to the fact that his contract is expiring then I don't believe you have really researched his character traits from the start.

Take care.

So, what would you qualify as a great leader or quarterback?!

A great quarterback is someone who makes quick and precise reads of the defense, gets the ball out of his hands quickly, can throw the deep ball with perfect touch and precision, understands how to move well in the pocket with good footwork, understands how to manipulate the defense with his shoulders and eyes, someone who makes great plays while under pressure (both from the defense and late in the game), and overall someone who wins.

Jason Campbell cannot do any of these things very well. He can show flashes of them but he can't read the defense like Brady or Manning, he can't get the ball out quick like Warner or Brees, he is inaccurate with his deep ball and usually lacks touch (his deep balls are usually just long bullet passes rather than an arc the WR can get under), while he can sometimes escape pressure he doesn't have good footwork and move well in the pocket to avoid being hit (yes, I know about the generally poor pass protection he is given), he doesn't make plays with his eyes often- he stares down receivers, rarely pump fakes, and rarely looks off defenders with his eyes or shoulders. He doesn't make plays often while in pressure situations, and he doesn't win games often.

As far as leadership goes from what I've seen in NFL videos, which I admit gives me a limited view of player interactions, Jason Campbell doesn't seem to communicate with his teammates well and rally players well. This is an opinion.

If we bring him back, it'll be a one-year tender while waiting and drafting a franchise QB in the 2011 draft. Honestly, since he'll mostlikely be an RFA, I'd much rather tender him, pick up an extra draft pick, and use it for depth. I'd be fine with starting todd collins or brennan as a stop gap next season. It'll give us a chance to see if brennan really has what it takes, and if he doesn't, it's a rebuilding year and we go for a QB in the next draft. Either way, Campbell will not be back, and while he does have a strong work ethic, sometimes that's just not enough to make up for lack of natural ability. I think he'll be backing up somebody from next season on.

My opionion I don't see the improvements just flashes like I saw the last 4 years. We score 17 one week 17 the next 27 the next then 6 so my standards must be too high because I don't consider that an improvement I consider that consistant in that we've scored 17 or below in 9 of the 11 games so far but because we cracked over 17 twice all of a sudden we're improving because we are doing things that are routine to the other 31 teams.

I've never saw a post where anybodys questioned Campbell's work ethic or dedication. I think people are starting to catch on to the fact that if he's working as hard as he say he is and still looking similar to his second year in the league as far as production goes and see's his stats as far as scoring and wins/loses they're fed up.

Campbell has improved, IMO. He has been reacting much better under pressure than before. I guess he's used to it by now.

I personally think it will be easier to rebuild the OL than it will be to net an elite franchise QB. I think with a solid OL Campbell would play better than he did during the 6-2 stretch when the OL was intact and playing decent.

If we draft high and QB is the BPA then I'm for it, but I think the wiser choice would be to tender Campbell for a year, bring in a vet behind him and to push him, and rebuild the OL through free agency and the draft. None of this year's QBs look all that great right now IMO either. If Campbell stinks behind the solid OL, replace him with the vet and draft the QB next year. Any QB is going to get killed with our current OL. That's just my idea though.

I've never saw a post where anybodys questioned Campbell's work ethic or dedication. I think people are starting to catch on to the fact that if he's working as hard as he say he is and still looking similar to his second year in the league as far as production goes and see's his stats as far as scoring and wins/loses they're fed up.

We have several grade C starters at other positions, but most fans understand that we have to play them because we have no one better. That attitude doesn't seem to apply to the QB position, though.

What's the point of the endless griping?

He isn't going demand a rediculous contract, so you might as well bring him back. You look at who's avaliable this offseason, he's the most proven of those who are actually going to be avaliable to sign with us (Orton isn't going anywhere). *meh

Thats what i say. However, i would still draft QB in the first round and have them battle it out in training camp and the preseason. Campbell whether here or elsewhere is clearly not the future.

But the bottom line, Campbell said, is that the Redskins are 3-8, so his personal accomplishments don't mean much.

What "personal accomplishments" should any Redskinds fan be happy with Jason for? I can't wait until this mickey mouse circus of praising a terrible player is over with. I want results and Jason produces nothing, absolutely nothing for this team and never has. His role on the team of losing QB can be taken over by anyone else in the league. He's not elite, he's not good, he's not average, he sucks and always will.

Well there is reality as opposed to fantasy land. But other than that, then yes there is no other option.
I'm kinda torn on what he said.

We could do plenty worse than Candle while looking for a franchise QB. But at least we'd get higher draft picks to reload with that year.

On the other hand, if we don't find a really good QB, going 3-13 or such would really suck. (yeah we're 3-8 right now).

1. We need a good GM so we can have good picks high or low.

2. Candle would be a good veteran backup here. Even start if necessary while grooming someone else.

I don't think we can bring Campbell back at this point. Too much spilt milk. Too many question marks. After five years, we don't know what we have in Jason. That's not good. This year, I see a good qb in a terrible situation... his "star" receivers have let him down in route running and with their concentration as manifested by drops. His o-line consists of third and fourth string guys, two of which weren't even on the starting roster at the beginning of the year. And yet, his qb rating is above average. His play has been C+. Under almost any other condition I'd say he was doing a fantastic job holding the team together.

BUT

He has never shown he can be a winner. He has always had legit excuses. Inexperience. O-line. No big receiver. Play calling. Systems. etc. At some point, there has to be production. You have to know and with Campbell we don't know. We don't know what we have with him and as unfair as it is to judge him this year that's what we must do. If he fails this year and 3-8 is failing by any standard, then he isn't the guy. If he had led us to the playoffs, if he had been a probowler, then you scratch off this year and say no qb could have made it, but what a heroic effort.

This year, we have to know and the fact that we can't see that he is the guy means that he isn't.

I don't think we can bring Campbell back at this point. Too much spilt milk. Too many question marks. After five years, we don't know what we have in Jason. That's not good. This year, I see a good qb in a terrible situation... his "star" receivers have let him down in route running and with their concentration as manifested by drops. His o-line consists of third and fourth string guys, two of which weren't even on the starting roster at the beginning of the year. And yet, his qb rating is above average. His play has been C+. Under almost any other condition I'd say he was doing a fantastic job holding the team together.

BUT

He has never shown he can be a winner. He has always had legit excuses. Inexperience. O-line. No big receiver. Play calling. Systems. etc. At some point, there has to be production. You have to know and with Campbell we don't know. We don't know what we have with him and as unfair as it is to judge him this year that's what we must do. If he fails this year and 3-8 is failing by any standard, then he isn't the guy. If he had led us to the playoffs, if he had been a probowler, then you scratch off this year and say no qb could have made it, but what a heroic effort.

This year, we have to know and the fact that we can't see that he is the guy means that he isn't.

agreed

I really don't think there is any question on the type of QB that Jason Campbell is in this league when you consider some simple facts:

1. He's never had a 2 minute come from behind win in any game

2. He's had 1 game in 40+ starts where he threw for 3 or more TD's in a game.

3. He's had all of 5 games where he threw for 300 or more passing yards in a game

4. He averages less then a TD pass a game for his career starting

This all happened on teams when the most important offensive linemen was considered to play at a pro bowl level, when his RB was playing at a pro bowl level and leading the league in rushing yards, and when his TE was playing at a pro bowl level. This was all happening when the team brought in WR after WR after WR to help him. The offensive team around him did have a lot of talent for Jason to use but yet he has never produced.

All he's done this year is further enforce the preconcieved notion that posters had prior to this year. If you thought the problem was everything under the sun but Jason then you probably still think that today. If you thought that Jason wasn't a productive QB then you probably think that today. The only reason there might still be a question about Jason Campbell is because someone can always play politics with Jason and make excuses for him. This year it's the coaching, the distractions, the play calling, the offensive line. Last year it was something else and it can go on. If you want to play politics and look for excuses to bail Jason out then you have plenty to choose from if you look for them. But that's the question I have when evaluating my own thoughts on Campbell.

Why is it that a guy who came out in the league when Jason did like Aaron Rogers has been sacked 14 more times then Jason has this year can have a passer rating 20 points higher then Jason, 800 more passing yards then Jason, 10 more passing TD's then Jason, 6 fewer INT's then Jason, 2 fewer fumbles then Jason, and most importantly have a winning record this year then Jason? Why is a guy being sacked much more then Jason, who puts the ball in the air much more the Jason, have Jason beat on every meaningful stat there is for a QB? If it were the offensive line then Campbell should have Rogers beat. If expirence mattered then Campbell should have Rogers beat as well as Jason's started 47 games and Rogers has started 27 games.

The answer I come up with is Jason's not that good, he's below average. But I already knew that coming into the year. He's gotta go

I really don't think there is any question on the type of QB that Jason Campbell is in this league when you consider some simple facts:

1. He's never had a 2 minute come from behind win in any game

2. He's had 1 game in 40+ starts where he threw for 3 or more TD's in a game.

3. He's had all of 5 games where he threw for 300 or more passing yards in a game

4. He averages less then a TD pass a game for his career starting

This all happened on teams when the most important offensive linemen was considered to play at a pro bowl level, when his RB was playing at a pro bowl level and leading the league in rushing yards, and when his TE was playing at a pro bowl level. This was all happening when the team brought in WR after WR after WR to help him. The offensive team around him did have a lot of talent for Jason to use but yet he has never produced.

All he's done this year is further enforce the preconcieved notion that posters had prior to this year. If you thought the problem was everything under the sun but Jason then you probably still think that today. If you thought that Jason wasn't a productive QB then you probably think that today. The only reason there might still be a question about Jason Campbell is because someone can always play politics with Jason and make excuses for him. This year it's the coaching, the distractions, the play calling, the offensive line. Last year it was something else and it can go on. If you want to play politics and look for excuses to bail Jason out then you have plenty to choose from if you look for them. But that's the question I have when evaluating my own thoughts on Campbell.

Why is it that a guy who came out in the league when Jason did like Aaron Rogers has been sacked 14 more times then Jason has this year can have a passer rating 20 points higher then Jason, 800 more passing yards then Jason, 10 more passing TD's then Jason, 6 fewer INT's then Jason, 2 fewer fumbles then Jason, and most importantly have a winning record this year then Jason? Why is a guy being sacked much more then Jason, who puts the ball in the air much more the Jason, have Jason beat on every meaningful stat there is for a QB? If it were the offensive line then Campbell should have Rogers beat. If expirence mattered then Campbell should have Rogers beat as well as Jason's started 47 games and Rogers has started 27 games.

The answer I come up with is Jason's not that good, he's below average. But I already knew that coming into the year. He's gotta go

Jason's second career start he had a come from behind victory in a two-minute drill.

Aaron Rodgers sat behind and learned from Brett Favre for three years. Campbell sat behind Brunell for a season and a half.

Archived