Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins and Cowboys Don't Hate Each Other Any More?

Hooterman

Or at least the Cowboys don't show the hate for us they used to. Anyone else notice how many times Marion Barber and his team mates congratulated (butt slapped or whatever you want to call it) a Redskins player after a play? I'm all for sportsmanship but in this rivalry the time for sportsmanship is after the game and the time to play with a sense of "hatred of the opponent" is during the game. Not personal hatred, but hatred of the opponent's organization and what they stand for as a rival. Kind of like Florida-Georgia without the eye gouging and dirty play.

Or at least the Cowboys don't show the hate for us they used to. Anyone else notice how many times Marion Barber and his team mates congratulated (butt slapped or whatever you want to call it) a Redskins player after a play? I'm all for sportsmanship but in this rivalry the time for sportsmanship is after the game and the time to play with a sense of "hatred of the opponent" is during the game. Not personal hatred, but hatred of the opponent's organization and what they stand for as a rival. Kind of like Florida-Georgia without the eye gouging and dirty play.

Lol! I used to really "hate the Cowboys" back in the day.

I know this is just the fans perspective, but as I got older and wiser, I came to the realization that the we were really no different than the Boy's.

The players now a days fight very hard against each other. The game yesterday was brutal. That's about all we can ask for. I couldn't care less If they hate each other!

Players today aren't usually with any team for their entire careers the way they used to be. All traditional rivalries have been watered down from a player perspective because of this.

I think the more interesting thing is the the change in fan intensity, mostly from the Dallas side, in the last decade. I've lived in both areas, and while Dallas fans have always been more calm, I'm not sure they still consider the Skins far and away their biggest rival.

Players today aren't usually with any team for their entire careers the way they used to be. All traditional rivalries have been watered down from a player perspective because of this.

I think the more interesting thing is the the change in fan intensity, mostly from the Dallas side, in the last decade. I've lived in both areas, and while Dallas fans have always been more calm, I'm not sure they still consider the Skins far and away their biggest rival.

You bring up a good point about how the Cowboys fans think about their rivalries. Because the Giants and Eagles have been more consistently competitive over the past years I guess those teams rivalries have become more important to the Cowboys.

Lol! I used to really "hate the Cowboys" back in the day.

I know this is just the fans perspective, but as I got older and wiser, I came to the realization that the we were really no different than the Boy's.

yep. Don't hate them. Don't hate the organization either. Football doesn't consume my emotions anymore. Not a big enough of a thing to worry about anymore. A life threatening emergency will do that to ya.

Sports has changed. In the "good ole days," you played for the high school near your house, one college, and one pro team. You never saw another player except when you played or maybe at a bordello in Nevada once a year. And you made $65,000 which meant that a loss could mean working at Sears.

Now, all star athletes know each other when they are 16. It's much much much worse in the NBA thanks to AAU, but all NFL guys have met at various college camps, Nike camps, and all-star games. And they all train together in the off-season. You are now playing against your buddy - not some guy who tried to give it to your wife at an Airport Marriot in 1975.

yep. Don't hate them. Don't hate the organization either. Football doesn't consume my emotions anymore. Not a big enough of a thing to worry about anymore. A life threatening emergency will do that to ya.

Sounds like you may have had a life threatening emergency and came out with a new sense of emotion, the latter of which is cool. For me, part of the game is the rivalry between division teams, especially one as long term as skins/cowboys. I don't own any "Dallas Sucks" t shirts or stickers with the little guy pissing on the star, but I do enjoy watching the teams really going after each other with a little extra. One of my fondest games in the past 10 years ago was the Cooley game at Fedex where we demolished them thanks in large part to Cooley's big TD's. Such a great emotion. Time and some mediocrity on the Redskins side has weakened that emotion for the teams and the fans I guess.

It's kind of hard for me to hate the Cowboys or their fans.

1) My brother in law is a huge Cowboys fan but he isn't obnoxious about it so I take my cue from him.

2) When Sean was murdered some of the classiest posts came from the Cowboy fans that post here.

3) When my older brother died...my priorities shifted dramatically.

These guys know each other from college and playing against each other twice a year. The Cowboys and Redskins have really had any games on the line that make or break one or the other team. There is little reason for these guys to have much malice towards one another.

Teams like the Steelers and Ravens who are typically fighting for position in the division and the tough AFC have more reason to.

I saw Cowboys fans and players applauding Rinehart as he was taken off the field.

I was actually disappointed...I wanted to hear booing.

Thankfully, a douchebag Cowboys fan started texting me last night a bunch of bull**** so my hatred was filled :)

heheh. Yeah, I'll never stop hating the Cowboys but I was really curious when Rinehart started getting on the cart. Glad they applauded, and there are some decent Cowboys fans, but I'll never ever stop hating the Cowboys.

As for the players, maybe I blocked it from my mind but I don't recall much butt-patting. Recalled a lot of jawing though, and a TON of heavy hits by both sides. The rivalry is still strong, it just isn't as meaningful anymore because neither team has been very succesful the last decade.

These guys know each other from college and playing against each other twice a year. The Cowboys and Redskins have really had any games on the line that make or break one or the other team. There is little reason for these guys to have much malice towards one another.

Teams like the Steelers and Ravens who are typically fighting for position in the division and the tough AFC have more reason to.

Yeah remember the divisional playoffs game where players on both teams were getting knocking out left and right. Of course I saw Landry doing that to a couple receivers last night. Good job Landry. Roy Williams was shaking and holding his head the rest of the game trying to get his wits back.:)

It's kind of hard for me to hate the Cowboys or their fans.

1) My brother in law is a huge Cowboys fan but he isn't obnoxious about it so I take my cue from him.

2) When Sean was murdered some of the classiest posts came from the Cowboy fans that post here.

3) When my older brother died...my priorities shifted dramatically.

Hey, I am sorry to hear about your brother. That is tough.

But when it comes to the ST thing....not the same for me.

After ST was killed some cowboy fan hung up a sign on my deck that said ST is dead and cowboys are 10-0 or something to that extent. I will never forgive the heartless bastar# for that.

You bring up a good point about how the Cowboys fans think about their rivalries. Because the Giants and Eagles have been more consistently competitive over the past years I guess those teams rivalries have become more important to the Cowboys.

Cowboys fan here.

I believe if you ask most Cowboys fans, we would say the Eagles are our number one rival right now.

It began with Ryan's "Bountry game" and has continued from there. It's also seemed recently, that the games are more meaningful and we get a lot more out of beating them.

Our number two rival are the Ginats. When the league asked JJ who he wanted to play in the openning of the new stadium, it was the Giants. Again, I think it has a lot to do with how meaningful the games have been recently.

Cowboys fan here.

I believe if you ask most Cowboys fans, we would say the Eagles are our number one rival right now.

It began with Ryan's "Bountry game" and has continued from there. It's also seemed recently, that the games are more meaningful and we get a lot more out of beating them.

Our number two rival are the Ginats. When the league asked JJ who he wanted to play in the openning of the new stadium, it was the Giants. Again, I think it has a lot to do with how meaningful the games have been recently.

Thanks for the input.

I hate you and your f'ing team. :chair:

;)

:helmet: The Rook

I think that both teams have been down so long that the rivalry had been dead for years. It even getting boring listening to Joe T talk about the famous 9-5 game when he ran out back of the end zone back in 78 or 79 and the Harvey Martin wreath throwing back at ole RFK stadium. Seems like ages ago and it was. Now, there's nothing!

Archived