Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.Com: NFL coaching candidates for 2010

#98QBKiller

Is that the same Todd Bowles that once played Safety for the Skins ??

probably already answered by now, but yes it is!

I would love Grimm to have some type of experience calling plays on one side of the ball or the other. Not having that is what has us in the Zorny predicament that we are in right now.

We wouldn't bring in Grimm to call plays, we would bring him in to be HC...What has us in this position with Zorn is us naively giving someone who has never called plays that duty and also not requiring him to put someone on the staff with experiance to help him...

Give Vinny one more year? He's had 8 and this team is medicore. As for your list, I'd like to see Grimmer, Harbaugh (even though the chances that Harbaugh leaves Stanford to work for Danny are slim and NONE) or Leslie Frazier get the job.

Actually I meant to say give Zorn 1 more yr with a new GM so he can evaluate him and his staff...:D

Grimmer and Harbaugh are tops on my list, I don't really feel that comfortable with Frazier at this point...

Not true. He was fired just before the start of Norv's last season coaching the Skins. Landed in Pittsburgh that September.

You sure about that?

I am pretty certain he was on the staff in 2000

From wiki

After hanging up his player's cleats, Grimm returned to the Redskins as a tight end coach (from 1992 through 1996, and offensive line coach from 1997 through 2000, during which he was instrumental in the development of tackles Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen. After his coaching stint with the Redskins, Grimm joined the Pittsburgh Steelers as offensive line coach in September 2000. In 2004 he was promoted to Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line.

Also it should be noted Grimm left here with very negative feelings about Snyder.

Give me a GM and Cowher.

I don't think Cowher is coming here after how Danny treated Marty, but if Danny & Marty have "patched things up" as has been reported, and Marty were to come here as a GM, that might lure Cowher here, especially if Danny backs up the brinks truck to Cowher's house.

No more Zorn or Vinny for that matter. Enough is enough of the Vinny Cerato show. I have read this book so many times for the last ten years and I am of tired of this book. I need a competent competitive CONSISTENT team for the next ten plus years. So bring in a GM first with credentials then hire the coach the gm see that fit his vision for a championship team.

When things start heating up for the coaching search (barring a miracle)...and of course with a real GM picking the new head coach, etc.,

I would be happiest with Greg Manusky, current defensive coordinator for the 49ers as well as formerly a LB coach for the Chargers and Redskins and a former linebacker for the Skins in the 80s.

The Niners have vastly overachieved on defense (they don't have a true pass-rusher) and they are able to manufacture pressure with Manusky's aggressive scheme and force turnovers. Having Patrick Willis helps certainly, but the 49ers D has been steady all year going back to last year. They were able to contain the Colts attack back when they looked like an offensive juggernaut earlier in the season.

Manusky is a no-nonsense coach who preaches hard work and has probably learned a lot from his time under Marty and now under Singletary.

LaVar said that in 2001, after he had made a big play, Manusky headbutted LaVar while he still had his helmet on and Manusky's forehead ended up bleeding. He is a fiery guy and still fairly young (mid 40s).

I'd be ecstatic if we got him.

Since when do you need to be a previous playcaller to be a head coach??? if you are a HC and won't be calling the plays then who cares. Grimm is gritty and tough and could be a leader of men like a Rex Ryan type and I don't think Grimm would even want to coach and call plays....he could be a gem in the making.

Took the words right out of my mouth. The head coach's job is to lead the team not call plays. That is the job of the offensive coordinator. As long as we hire good offensive and defensive coordinators you are set. I want a head coach that players will run through walls for not a head coach that players will "compete" for.

Best bet would be to fire Vinny, have Shanahan come in as GM/HC, and hire his son Kyle as the OC (he's currently the OC for the Texans and they rank 6th in total offense).

The younger Shanahan has been a coach in the NFL for 6 years (4 with the Texans) and isn't even 30 yet. Perfect coach in waiting to learn from his old man and take over the team.

I think this is how it plays out. The only difference is that Shanahan MIGHT retain Vinny at some kind of position w/in the organization but Shanahan would have full control. No more Vinny making the bigger decisions.

I hate when people throw around Russ Grimm's name like it actually means anything. I'd be curious to hear why the Steelers took a pass on him.

Victim of the Rooney Rule?

On January 22, 2007, Mike Prisuta of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported from an undisclosed source within the Pittsburgh Steelers organization that, then-asssistant coach, Grimm would replace Bill Cowher as the team's coach. A day earlier, ESPN and Sports Illustrated stated on their web sites that Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had been chosen to replace Cowher. However an NFL source confirmed on January 21, 2007 that Tomlin had not heard from the Steelers and no contract negotiations had taken place. Grimm was one of three finalists to replace Cowher, along with Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Even before Cowher officially stepped down, a consensus had formed among the Steelers players that they preferred the team stay in-house when the team hired its next head coach.[3]

However 24 hours later Tomlin was announced as the Steelers new coach. Steelers' President Art Rooney II told CBS Sports on January 23, 2007 that no formal offer was ever made to Grimm, explaining that team reps did talk about an offer and contract numbers with both Grimm and Tomlin on January 20th. Rooney explained, "We did tell Russ nothing would be final until Sunday". I feel bad if he got the wrong impression." As a result Prisuta's story was discredited[4] and he later resigned in 2009 from the Tribune-Review to accept a position with Pittsburgh's WDVE Radio.[5]

However Prisuta's January 22nd story may have been accurate at the time. Clark Judge, of CBS Sports, also reported that three sources "close to the team" told him that the offer was made to Grimm and later rescinded.[6] Mark Madden, a local sports columnist who often contributes to the NFL Network show NFL Top 10, also supported Prisuta's claim. According to Madden, Prisuta’s story may have turned out wrong, but when he wrote it, it was accurate. Madden states, through his own undisclosed source, that Grimm and Tomlin were the two finialist to replace Cowher. Grimm was the front-runner for the job, but by a slim margin. Art Rooney II then told Grimm that he would later be announced as the team's new coach. Grimm passed on that information to Prisuta. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review then published the story on January 22. However, according to Madden, the NFL responded to the decision by calling Steelers owner, Dan Rooney, stating, that the team should award the job to a minority candidate since Dan Rooney was in fact the author of the "Rooney Rule". Tomlin who was a qualified, serious candidate was on par with Grimm's qualifications. The Steelers changed their mind and Tomlin was hired. [7]

Since none of the "undisclosed sources" have come forward state what exactly happened between Grimm and the Rooneys, the issue remains a mystery and therefore open to controversy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Grimm#cite_note-1

Seeing these top candidates and knowing that several teams will be vying for their services immediately after the season, I'm getting more and more concerned that Vinny is not going anywhere.

We need to have our GM in place rather quickly so he can get the head coach of his choice, and not miss out because Snyder drug his feet on letting Vinny go.

"But it's Grimm! He was a Hog! He'll be like a younger Joe Gibbs, Snyder will do whatever Grimm wants and he'll be able to get in everyone's faces no questions asked! He's the kind of no-nonsense tough HC this team needs!"

I hate when people throw around Russ Grimm's name like it actually means anything. I'd be curious to hear why the Steelers took a pass on him.

I am not 100% sure of this but I thought I read once he's not a great interview. I don't know if you guys have heard him talk -- but yeah you would guess he's a Mike Singletary sort of in your face tough talker type -- but when I have heard him in interviews, he doesn't sound that articulate and seemed very boring.

Bring back the glorious mid 90s years with 1st rounds busts: Desmond Howard, Johnson, Westbrook, Heath Shuler. Casserly is a great interview and I like his commentary but isn't that what gets some of us jazzed about him -- were we really excited about the job he did as GM? If so I don't recall it that way.

I am not 100% sure of this but I thought I read once he's not a great interview. I don't know if you guys have heard him talk -- but yeah you would guess he's a Mike Singletary sort of in your face tough talker type -- but when I have heard him in interviews, he doesn't sound that articulate and seemed very boring.

Bring back the glorious mid 90s years with 1st rounds busts: Desmond Howard, Johnson, Westbrook, Heath Shuler. Casserly is a great interview and I like his commentary but isn't that what gets some of us jazzed about him -- were we really excited about the job he did as GM? If so I don't recall it that way.

You act like Gm's don't miss on a few first rd picks, atleast he would have a better football background then vinny.

Archived