Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.Com: NFL coaching candidates for 2010

#98QBKiller

But Vinny has had better drafts than Casserly ever did, as I recall....which ain't saying much...

Charley's last draft in 99 produced Champ Bailey, Jon Jansen, & a bunch of future draft picks. I'm not defending him on the bad picks from earlier years, just saying he did a great job with the 99 draft.

Bring back the glorious mid 90s years with 1st rounds busts: Desmond Howard, Johnson, Westbrook, Heath Shuler. Casserly is a great interview and I like his commentary but isn't that what gets some of us jazzed about him -- were we really excited about the job he did as GM? If so I don't recall it that way.

Desmond was a Gibbs pick and Heath & Westbrook were pretty much Norv picks. Not defending Charley on the Andre Johnson pick, but those others weren't all on him.

I don't know about Mularkey. He strikes me as Jim Zorn Part II.

Not sure how you can compare the two. :whoknows:

Mularkey has been the OC with Pittsburgh, Miami, and now Atlanta.

He has also been the head coach with the Bills. He quit there when they brought back Marv Levy to the FO.

He has a reputation for being an offense-oriented head coach with a penchant for trick plays. His skill for creating special packages to utilize multi-dimensional players such as Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El earned him the nickname "Inspector Gadget"[1] . Even with his creative imagination, his philosophy of being the most physical punishing offense helped the Steelers average 10+ wins a year during his 3 years as offensive coordinator.

JZ has been a QB coach prior to coming to the Redskins.

Id take Shanahan as a GM, and would like to see Mike Mularkey as HC.

While Grimm is a sentimental favorite, I just dont see him as a head coach.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mularkey get the job, he's done a great job in Atlanta with that offense and helping Matt Ryan look great, so perhaps he would be good at helping to develop a young QB here should we draft one in April.

And it's interesting that you mention him in a combo with Shanny, because Shanny was the o-coordinator of the Gators in the early 80's when Mularkey was there, so the two of them have a history with each other.

I think this is how it plays out. The only difference is that Shanahan MIGHT retain Vinny at some kind of position w/in the organization but Shanahan would have full control. No more Vinny making the bigger decisions.

I don't think that any of the big named GM's are going to want Vinny as part of the FO. Bug eyes doesn't have the best rep around the league.

Best bet would be to fire Vinny, have Shanahan come in as GM/HC, and hire his son Kyle as the OC (he's currently the OC for the Texans and they rank 6th in total offense).

The younger Shanahan has been a coach in the NFL for 6 years (4 with the Texans) and isn't even 30 yet. Perfect coach in waiting to learn from his old man and take over the team.

As bad as Vinny has been, I do not want Shanahan anywhere near us if we give him GM duties. He had a horrible track record in Denver as GM, and arguably was a reason why Denver always struggled in terms of its defense.

Charley's last draft in 99 produced Champ Bailey, Jon Jansen, & a bunch of future draft picks. I'm not defending him on the bad picks from earlier years, just saying he did a great job with the 99 draft.

Eh. That plethora of picks that allowed us to trade up for Champ and us drafting Jansen came from Ditka trading his entire draft for Ricky Williams. And plus with all those picks, had we had a competent FO, we could have been able to have created a very-solid to almost a "dynasty" as others have said. Instead, we blew the picks and let that golden opportunity go to waste.

Casserly is not a guy I want anywhere near Redskins park.

EDIT: Urgh, sorry about the double post. Won't happen again!

"Gregg Williams, Saints defensive coordinator -- Like Zimmer in Cincinnati, the strength of Williams' candidacy is likely tied to how far the Saints season goes. He's earned plaudits for his work in turning around the New Orleans defense, but some within the league still question what happened to him in Washington, where he was Joe Gibbs' defensive coordinator and heir apparent, but was bypassed in favor of Jim Zorn when the job came open."

I'll tell you what happened: Our front office is insane. Everybody in the organization except for two people thought he deserved the job. Gibbs clearly wanted Williams to take over, asking Gregg to wait until it's over to pull his name out of the candidate pool.

the old saying was a "5 year plan"

now your lucky if you get 3.

I'm kind of thinking if the Skins have a very good showing down the stretch, (and with Gruden off the market), Zorn may get another year.

I hope he gets another year. The good organizations gave their guys time to produce. I was shocked that the Giants kept sticking with Coughlin, but he paid off. I thought that team was going to mutiny on him.

While I really would like our next HC to have experience at all phases of the coaching structure, can you imagine a person who would be more motivated to prove himself and succeed than Russ Grimm?

Returning to the team where he was part of a legendary unit, with fans that he knows will be expecting another "glory days" style run, after being passed up for a head coaching job by the Steelers where he was reportedly getting the job before he got Rooney'd?

I'm not sure you could find a better candidate from a desire-to-prove-everyone-wrong standpoint.

Archived