Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie Sack Record!!

Dat Moss

Orakpo has been as good as advertised. He'll end up with 10 to 12 sacks which is fantastic.

Not even Snyderrato could blow that pick but I'll go ahead and give them a pat on the back for it anyway. I guess they could have gone insane and drafted Ayers or Other. So congrats guys, you actually made the right choice.

14.5 Jevon Kearse, Tennessee, 1999 13.0 Dwight Freeny, Indianapolis, 2002 12.5 Leslie O'Neal, San Diego, 1986

Simeon Rice, Arizona, 1996

So we got Rak In range of these guys with just under half of the season to go. Anyone think he gets it? I think if he was at end he would definetly get it but as of now im thinking around 12-13

I did not even realize when i first posted this, but all of these afore mentioned guys played DE, Anyone know who has had the Most as a rookie from the LB position? Im thinking maybe Merriman but im not sure

What position have his sacks come from this year?

I'm fairly certain he is having more success coming from the LB position.

Almost all of his sacks have come from the DE position, but his 1.5 sacks against Denver were from the LB position.

I think Orakpo has a good chance to sustain his production. It is so much easier to gameplan a speed rusher that predictably lines up at DE. You can chip him, roll away from him, double him with the TE, etc. Orakpo is a power player as much as a technique or a speed player. Teams aren't going to be able to study his tendencies and coach players just to stop a counter or a spin move if Orakpo is blowing tackles and guards 4 yards into the backfield. If an opposing player is too focused on the power rush though, Rak does have the speed to get to the corner, as well as a good inside counter.

It also says a lot about Orakpo that, as a rookie, he is the featured passrusher and not Carter who has been a very productive veteran. It's almost ridiculous to have a 260# DE that lines up at DE on the blindside, blitzes from OLB, and lines up at DT next to big Al and sometimes stunts and sometimes doesnt.

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought this thread was interesting, based on recent Orakpo events of the day. I have to say, gorebd82, AMAZING prediction my friend. I thought you were crazy when you said he'd get 3-4 sacks in a single game. You were RIGHT ON!

Only 3.5 sacks away from the rookie sack record, we'll see.

most sacks in a game is 6, i believe.

i think putting him into coverage his rookie season may have been a good move (in retrospect) being that it help developed him into a more versatile player, for one, but moe importantly to keep him "fresh" so to speak, keeping him from the constant pounding of fat ass olinemen, so that he would not be overwhelmed his first season.

this will lead me to believe he will not hit the sophy slump, but in fact be just as good if not better when he lines up as a full time DE in the near future

i think putting him into coverage his rookie season may have been a good move (in retrospect) being that it help developed him into a more versatile player, for one, but moe importantly to keep him "fresh" so to speak, keeping him from the constant pounding of fat ass olinemen, so that he would not be overwhelmed his first season.

this will lead me to believe he will not hit the sophy slump, but in fact be just as good if not better when he lines up as a full time DE in the near future

i couldn't agree more. i also see orakpo getting the rookie sack record

Orakpo needs four sacks in the next three games to set the rookie sack record. The only way that happens is if A) Haynesworth comes back and B) we score enough to force the other team into obvious passing situations.

Seeing as how we play the Giants, Cowboys, and Chargers...I just don't know if those two things will happen.

Derrick Thomas (RIP) holds the single game sack record at 7. He also holds the NFL record for 45 forced fumbles

...and you'll be disappointed? with a rookie LB getting 12.5 sacks? talk about hard to please.

there is *no way* to prove that he would have as many (let alone MORE) sacks if he had been playing DE all season. he has been in coverage a lot, yes, but he has also benefited from several favorable matchups that he would not have seen from the DE position.

basically, you decided that you don't like the decision even if it works out. bravo.

I think the Raiders game today just proved how effective he is at DE where he belongs!

I rest my case!

Derrick Thomas (RIP) holds the single game sack record at 7. He also holds the NFL record for 45 forced fumbles

D Thomas was one of my favorite players outside the Redskins. I was hurt when he passed away. Very unfortunate, because this dude was an absolute monster.

He recorded those sacks as a linebacker, how sick?

Orapko (as yesterdays announcer liked to call him :doh:) is a freagin beast. 11 sacks as a rookie is outrageous, and he still has 3 more games to break the record. I got my money gets it by season's end.

Is it possible that Carter and Orakpo make the pro-bowl together since they're the only two from the NFC among sack leaders, other than J.Allen of course? Carter as a DE and Orakpo as a LB?

It'll be tough to get 4 in these last 3 games given the opponents, but he did have his hands on Romo sits to pee a couple of times and failed to wrap up (including the game winning TD play) so hopefully if he gets that chance again he'll finish Romo sits to pee off this time.

I think he'll get one more before season's end and finish at 12.

Still an excellent rookie season and more than we could have hoped for.

D Thomas was one of my favorite players outside the Redskins. I was hurt when he passed away. Very unfortunate, because this dude was an absolute monster.

He recorded those sacks as a linebacker, how sick?

Orapko (as yesterdays announcer liked to call him :doh:) is a freagin beast. 11 sacks as a rookie is outrageous, and he still has 3 more games to break the record. I got my money gets it by season's end.

Is it possible that Carter and Orakpo make the pro-bowl together since they're the only two from the NFC among sack leaders, other than J.Allen of course? Carter as a DE and Orakpo as a LB?

As of right now, I think it should be Jared Allen and either Orakpo or Carter.

Archived