Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama's Frightening Insensitivity Following Shooting

ThinSkin

I have no idea how someone comes away from that speech believing Obama was insensitive. He handled the situation perfectly by first addressing his reason for being there, then addressing the events at Ft Hood. It's better than not addressing it at all and continuing to read a book to children.

Nov 7, 2009 8:03 am US/Central

George W. Bush Visits Fort Hood, Wounded Soldiers

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) ― Former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura, visited wounded soldiers and their families near the site of the worst mass shooting on an Army post in the United States.

The Bushes made their private visit to Fort Hood's Darnall Army Medical Center on Friday night. Bush spokesman David Sherzer said in an e-mail that the couple thanked Fort Hood's military leaders and hospital staff for the "amazing care they are providing."

An Army psychiatrist, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, is accused of killing 13 people and wounding 30 in a shooting rampage Thursday at a Soldier Readiness Processing Center on the post.

Hasan was wounded by a civilian police officer and was taken into custody.

(© 2009 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

http://cbs11tv.com/wireapnewstx/George.W.Bush.2.1298076.html

I have no idea how someone comes away from that speech believing Obama was insensitive. He handled the situation perfectly by first addressing his reason for being there' date=' then addressing the events at Ft Hood. It's better than not addressing it at all and continuing to read a book to children.[/quote']

I dont fault him for what he said, but to claim he handled it "perfectly" is silly at best. perfectly, would have been to start his remarks with his statement about the tragedy, then to move on to thank yous and shout outs.

I see him as somewhat of a victim of poor judgement (on the part of his PR handlers) and bad timing.

.......He handled the situation perfectly by first addressing his reason for being there' date=' then addressing the events at Ft Hood.......[/quote']What I think he should have done....

"First Thing......I would like to say a few things about the shooting which took place at Ft Hood today.......

......We are responding according to plan and I would like to call for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."

What we got was........

"Let me FIRST thank Ken for this Conference

Shout Out to Joe.......(Smile and Wave)

You had a productive conference...thanks

I guarantee I will follow-up...this is a TOP PRIORITY...not just lip service

I am cutting my remarks short because....."

Whats First Obama?

You choose which response is more "Perfect"

The people were there for a conference. Obama was there to give a speech about the efforts of the conference. He spoke briefly about the conference then addressed the FT Hood situation. I rescind my "perfectly" comment because using the "shout-out" does not mesh with the situation, but to say he displayed "frightening insensitivity" is ridiculous, and borderline insane.

The people were there for a conference. Obama was there to give a speech about the efforts of the conference. He spoke briefly about the conference then addressed the FT Hood situation. I rescind my "perfectly" comment because using the "shout-out" does not mesh with the situation' date=' but to say he displayed "frightening insensitivity" is ridiculous, and borderline insane.[/quote']

definitely agree with your last sentence. more a case of poor judgement and timing from both the president and his handlers.

......I rescind my "perfectly" comment because using the "shout-out" does not mesh with the situation' date=' but to say he displayed "frightening insensitivity" is ridiculous, and borderline insane.[/quote']I agree...I do not think its a huge scandal

This is an example of Obama in campaign mode.....in my opinion

He needs his speach writers to set the priority for him

I agree...I do not think its a huge scandal

This is an example of Obama in campaign mode.....in my opinion

He needs his speech writers to set the priority for him

Only a cold, soulless individual would "need his speech writers to set the priority for him" at that somber time.

Only a cold, soulless individual would "need his speech writers to set the priority for him" at that somber time.

You are using the shooting to advance your opinions about the President of the United States.

Instead of futilely trying to convince others here that Obama is cold and soulless because he (IN YOUR OPINION) messed up on his speech, why don't we concentrate on the victims and the tragedy at hand?

Are you saying that every President is could and soulless for having speech writers set his priority for him as somber times, of which this country has had many?

OK

I think IHOP just found someone to the right of himself :yikes:

You might find a more sympathetic ear if you said Brainless....instead of Soulless :silly:

The Obama "Shout Out" does not seem cold......it appears insensitive or classless

Cold would better describe a carpet bagging senator from NY

He has been meeting with Native Americans, he was there to address those meetings first and foremost it looks like he cut it short to address the shooting. I don't think it was awkward. I think of it like an employee at a store handling the customer standing at the counter before picking up a phone call from another customer.

I'm sure people will tell me I'm just a blind democrat, but I'm currently registered as a Republican and I voted for Ron Paul. I'm just calling it like I see it. Even the Fox news guy didn't mention his "shout out" after the president's statement.

OK

I think IHOP just found someone to the right of himself :yikes:

You might find a more sympathetic ear if you said Brainless....instead of Soulless :silly:

The Obama "Shout Out" does not seem cold......it appears insensitive or classless

Cold would better describe a carpet bagging senator from NY

I hate to beat a dead horse,....but I feel compelled. Just on the first page of comments from the article I linked in the first post (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/politics/A-Disconnected-President.html), the word cold was bandied about several times, so it is certainly not my description solely. There's 1,500 more comments, if anyone's interested. To the best of my knowledge, this is not a right-wing website. It's always good to see what average people think, and not just what left-leaning ES thinks.

First page of comments:

ADM454 Well, what did you expect? Obama cares about no one but himself. 5:48 AM, 11.6.09

WilliamH was stunned when I heard this yesterday. Not sure how you blame his advisers. He is the President. The buck needs to stop with him.

He really appears to be a cold fish. This did not seem to touch him at all. 5:50 AM, 11.6.09

milkman I think this illustrates once more Mr. Obamas disdain for the military that protects us all. I was surprised to learn that today will be his first visit to Walter Reed hospital. That is something he should have done in his first few weeks in office.5:54 AM, 11.6.09

ACRScout Obama's astoundingly insensitive reaction to the killings at Fort Hood, is just one more indicator of his cold disregard and low opinion of military service members. The victims of this attack are the ones who voluntarily put their lives on the lne for us every day. To acknowledge their sacrifice, almost as an after thought to a domestice agency is eggregious.5:55 AM, 11.6.09

gobnait His behavior was odd to say the least. It seemed that he was more concerned about not somehow offending attending Native Americans by addressing the shooting before the Interior department assemblage. This guy is Clueless McCluelesson!5:59 AM, 11.6.09

Archived