Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official espn 30 for 30 thread

Spaceman Spiff

These documentaries have been great, I know a lot of people watched the Gretzky one and I've seen them mentioned in other threads. I thought the one on the USFL was especially good.

Tonight they're showing the Len Bias one so it seems like a good time to start a thread to discuss all of them.

For those of you who don't know they're on every Tuesday at 8pm. IMO, this is when espn is at its best.

I just remember hearing his name over and over, I had to be about 5. I think that was the first time I'd heard about drugs, my parents were pretty upset and I don't think anyone could have hid me from it. So that was the moment I decided I'd never do cocaine. I figured early on if it could happen to someone that famous could die from it, I could to. That was all I needed to know.

This is the shady part of the story. The use of the near pure coke, that is inconceivable to me that him and his college buddies had nearly pure cocaine and were recreationally using it. I always thought and still do think that part of the story is missing as to how deep Len was into this. Really a sad and terrible story.

Man. I was 13 or 14 in Charlottesville, watched Bias all the time on TV and probably at UHall. I remember being really confused when it was announced that it was a heart attack. Guess I just wasn't aware that coke could cause that. I feel sorry for all involved, even those like his roommate who could be seen as bearing a lot of the responsibility.

The docus have been great so far, my favorite is the Colts. I think they're doing one on Hank Gathers too, his death and Loyola-Marymount's reaction to it (and possible blame) is really compelling. Can't wait for that one.

What'd everyone think of the Bias documentary? One of my good friends worked on promoting that movie because Kirk Fraser, the director, is his cousin. I saw a few responses but I'm sure he'd like for me to tell him what people thought about it on here.

I would have watched it but I had to study for neurophys instead. Balls.

What'd everyone think of the Bias documentary? One of my good friends worked on promoting that movie because Kirk Fraser, the director, is his cousin. I saw a few responses but I'm sure he'd like for me to tell him what people thought about it on here.

Pretty amazing. The footage and the photos were incredible. The cast of people he interviewed was great. It touched on all the important angles that were impacted by his death. I don't think anyone could have done better.

Here is a list of 26 of the 30 docs. Most of them look really compelling and I will try and watch them all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

ooh, thanks for that list!

Strongly looking forward to:

Loyola-Marymount

Evert & Navratilova

Reggie Miller

Not looking forward to:

Michael Jordan in the minor leagues (who cares? not me)

Tupac Shakur (okay, friends with Tyson but does that justify it as a sports docu? Big WTF is my early reaction)

Pretty amazing. The footage and the photos were incredible. The cast of people he interviewed was great. It touched on all the important angles that were impacted by his death. I don't think anyone could have done better.

I'll definitely catch it tomorrow when it re-airs on ESPN2. I promised my friend I'd watch it today, but school got in the way. He also invited me to the premiere at Hoff Theatre, and couldn't make it then either.

Can't blow him off 3 times, haha. He also said that they want to come out with a feature film sometime depicting this story, but not sure at all about the timeline for that. Look out for it though.

It was spectacular. It was done fabulously and really intertwined old footage and people actually around Len at that time to tell the story. It had every major player involved. I would bet that it also will drum up the controversy surrounding his death (many believe someone spiked his coke or that Tribble gave him a lethal dose of pure cocaine). Overall it is great and I really admire Fraser's work, he did the Lil Kim thing for BET and also did the American Gangster series which was fabulous.

Archived