Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official espn 30 for 30 thread

Spaceman Spiff

I'll definitely catch it tomorrow when it re-airs on ESPN2. I promised my friend I'd watch it today, but school got in the way. He also invited me to the premiere at Hoff Theatre, and couldn't make it then either.

Can't blow him off 3 times, haha. He also said that they want to come out with a feature film sometime depicting this story, but not sure at all about the timeline for that. Look out for it though.

Word is he is working on a full-length feature film of the Len Bias story, according to the ESPN blurb they had of the director. He did a very nice job with this one.

It was spectacular. It was done fabulously and really intertwined old footage and people actually around Len at that time to tell the story. It had every major player involved. I would bet that it also will drum up the controversy surrounding his death (many believe someone spiked his coke or that Tribble gave him a lethal dose of pure cocaine). Overall it is great and I really admire Fraser's work, he did the Lil Kim thing for BET and also did the American Gangster series which was fabulous.

Yeah it was a really good docu, and it stuck straight to the salient points. Thought-provoking, illuminating, and emotional. I didn't know he was involved in American Gangster, those are really good too.

Word is he is working on a full-length feature film of the Len Bias story, according to the ESPN blurb they had of the director. He did a very nice job with this one.

Check out my post. Broke the news before you. ;) jk!

I was talking to my buddy and I was asking whether making an actual feature film of the story would take away from the documentary or the story itself. I'm not sure how much justice it would do, but hey that's why I'm not a director!

What if someone can prove those rumors that Jordan was secretly suspended that year for gambling? Then it'll be appointment viewing. :cool2:

Dunno, I think it'd be cool to see regardless. There are only a couple on that list that I wouldn't totally be interested in but then again the trailers haven't launched yet.

What if someone can prove those rumors that Jordan was secretly suspended that year for gambling? Then it'll be appointment viewing. :cool2:

oh, I'd forgotten about those rumors! Okay, I might look forward to that one :silly:

• 2 weeks later...

Barry Levinson's film on the Baltimore Colts band, "The Band That Wouldn't Die," was REALLY well done.

Do they repeat these? There are several that look good, but I've missed them. ESPN should be commended for producing these...

Barry Levinson's film on the Baltimore Colts band, "The Band That Wouldn't Die," was REALLY well done.

Do they repeat these? There are several that look good, but I've missed them. ESPN should be commended for producing these...

On Christmas they play them all, in order.

The Colts band one was the only one I haven't seen, looking forward to the re-airing of it. I'm particularly enjoying these because they're sort of an education fo rme as I was too young to remember things like Bias's death and the USFL. The Ali/Holmes one was particularly interesting as well because while I had seen many old great Ali fights and seen him in his current state, I had never seen him between the greatness and the frail state he's in like he was in that film.

Looking forward to all the rest.

I thought Jimmy the Greek was good. Interesting to learn about that guy...all I knew about him prior was that he said some racist comments in the late 80's and lost his job because of it. Had no idea he was responsible for bringing sports gambling to the forefront of American culture.

Kinda bummed we have to wait till Dec 12 for the next one. It's about "The U", the trailer looks pretty cool.

If you're really 31, you didn't see that one. Doubtful that you'd remember Holmes/Ali either.

Huh? I meant ESPN recently aired the fight again and I watched that. I think it's part of their 30 for 30 specials that they're running these days.

Huh? I meant ESPN recently aired the fight again and I watched that. I think it's part of their 30 for 30 specials that they're running these days.

Oh, I thought you meant that you saw it live. I know there's some people who claim to remember their own births, but it would be really hard to remember seeing something before your birth.

These fights are replayed quite frequently, and usually stop me dead in my tracks for the next hour.

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote on another forum about the U documentary last night.

I think what the documentary did the best was elaborate from the view of the player and coaches their views on what happened during that decade. Are some of the things they did classless, brash, and rude? Yes. But they were kids. They were disrespected kids, playing a game they grew up playing in the 'hood. They were superstars. It was them against the world. This kind of brash behavior was to be expected, when the whole world hates what you do. And some would argue the world hated them because of their behavior, but it was them against the world even before they arrived at Miami, when they were growing up.

This was in a day before the overly-sensitive PC era took over. I guess one could say, as the documentary pointed out, it was the U who would help spurn this current NCAA policy of strict disapproval upon any type of emotion being shown. The U didn't take no ****. They were brawling, they were putting ears to helmets as they high stepped into the end zone, it was just pure comedy. And then you compare that to the draconian era of NFL and NCAA sports we have now, when such celebration is not encouraged. Call me crazy, but I want the old times back.

I guess the documentary helped if anything to shed light upon the life of the Miami player. I used to be one of those who was uneducated about the program and insulted them for fighting and trying to stomp on other players. I'll still insult them when necessary but I kind of see where the players are coming from.

Next ESPN 30 for 30 film is about Reggie Miller in 1995. Shame they don't have playoffs like those anymore, the rivalry, the intensity. Won't play until March.

1995 Flashback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCEsVa3ZBZA

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Bumped again because there was an intriguing documentary again on Jordan riding the bus

We all know of what Jordan did in basketball, but what he did in baseball is not as well known, and the documentary explores more into his time in MiLB

Wish I could have seen it, I will end up watching it online somehow ;)

I had no idea that Terry Francona was his minor league manager. That's pretty cool.

Yeah I thought that was cool too...

I swear... I saw MJ play SOMEWHERE... I was living in Atlanta at the time, and possibly went down to Florida for Spring Training... I'll have to ask my dad...

Archived