Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official espn 30 for 30 thread

Spaceman Spiff

it definitely shines a much more positive light onto his foray into baseball.

Also Terry Francona said that if MJ dedicated a few years to baseball he could have made the Majors eventually so I find that pretty remarkable.

Especially being a first year player at 31!! I could see 25 or 28, but 31? That's insane...

• 2 weeks later...
This documentary on Reggie Miller is very entertaining. Amazing how much more physical the NBA was back then. Nowadays you get thrown out for what they did all the time in the 90's. Don't know why.

Best is 80's...the Kurt Rambis incident.

As for Reggie, Spike Lee STFU.

Does anyone realize that Mike Tyson didn't fight anyone tough during his prime (pre-prison)?

It's not really his fault since the era he fought in was weak for heavyweights. He destroyed everyone in his path. Here are the ring magazine rankings from the end of 1986 (right after he beat Berbick win the strap) and when he was considered his most dominant:

Michael Spinks, Champion- Tyson wins in 91 seconds

1. Mike Tyson

2. James (Bonecrusher) Smith- Tyson won a wide UD

3. Pinklon Thomas- Tyson stops in 6 rounds

4. Tim Witherspoon- never fought

5. Tony Tubbs- Tyson stops in 2 rounds

6. Trevor Berbick- Tyson already stopped in 2 rounds

7. James (Buster) Douglas- Tyson lost

8. Tony Tucker- Tyson wins a UD

9. Frank Bruno- Tyson stops in 5

10. Tyrell Biggs- Tyson stops in 7

• 1 month later...

Tonights was on Nascar diver Tim Richmond, I knew about him a little bit, since I didn't get into Nascar until Joe Gibbs became a owner and I didn't follow it back then I didn't know the whole story. What I tragedy. Always sad to see somebody die in there prime. Another thing I got from this was remembering the absolute overwhelming fear that AIDS and the HIV virus had put over the entire country back then. The film even referenced Brian White, the boy how was kicked out of school out of fear that other children would get the virus from just being near White. Living with the virus and knowing that if anyone found out he had it, the certainty of being ostracize must have been equally hard to live with.

I have no clue who Tim Richmond is. Sounds like an intriguing story though. Sad

Last week's was pretty good too, on Vlade Divac and Petrovic. It showed how politics tore a country and friendship apart.

Politics and manipulation played a huge role in escalating Serb-Croat tensions, and Divac's treatment of the Croat flag (which some still consider insult to this very day) was overhyped by media and manipulated for propoganda by both Croats and Serbs. It was ridiculous to see how a guy who really had no allegiance, who just wanted to see a team unified without political strife, suddenly became a political symbol without his consent.

Even today, Divac is still a hated figure in Croatia. The movie showed his return to Zagreb where Petrovic is from. He did not get a very welcome reception. I always thought that, if Petrovic's mother and brother could forgive Divac (they live in Zagreb, Croatia), why can't the rest of Croatia? Why must man continue to hate on his fellow man for political reasons, to kill other people because of disagreements about politics? The movie really made you think about how polarizing civil war is, how politics destroys friendships, how media manipulates events to their own advantage.

I strongly recommend this movie, some have even called it the best 30 for 30 movie so far, it was so well-done and so moving. It is on Youtube at least for the time being, if you are interested in watching it.

Anyone who considers themselves a sports fan should do themselves a favor and watch these. I have no real interest in NASCAR, but the Tim Richmond episode was fantastic. He was truly in between a rock and a hard place in that day and age, especially given his profession.

Anyone who considers themselves a sports fan should do themselves a favor and watch these. I have no real interest in NASCAR, but the Tim Richmond episode was fantastic. He was truly in between a rock and a hard place in that day and age, especially given his profession.

Yeah, as I said, I was ignorant before, and when the previews came up for the movie I was like "Forget that, not interested"

Now that others have pretty much debunked my prejudiced opinion I am willing to give the movie a shot when it's put up online later.

Yeah, those three shows are great. It's the only places on ESPN where you seem to get real, hard hitting journalism.

E:60 is like ESPN'S "60 Minutes" and OTL is hosted by Bob Ley, so you know it's going to be good.

These movies on 30 for 30 are just incredible, too.

I've watched one of these all the way through so far (Barry Levinson's one on the Baltimore Colts Marching Band - excellent), I caught most of the one on the marketing of the Oakland Raiders in their heyday, and I've seen snippets of others. Everything I've seen has been excellent. Does ESPN have a schedule of when they are to be aired, or Is there a place to see them online? I haven't made them "Appointment TV", so the only time I'll watch is if I happen to stumble on them while channel surfing.

I have no clue who Tim Richmond is. Sounds like an intriguing story though. Sad
Tim Richmond was Jeff Gordon with personality. He could have been a top 5 driver all-time. Him and Earnhardt had a good little rivalry going early, before Dale became the Man in Black and was driving the Wrangler car. 30 for 30 did a fantastic job of illustrating how talented he was, how much of a playboy he was, and how much of a non-good ole boy he was. People didn't like him at first (Jeff Gordon) because he was an outsider (Jeff Gordon). But Rick Hendrick put him with a great crew chief (Jeff Gordon) and he started winning races (Jeff Gordon). Eventually he became a crowd favorite based on his talent (Jeff Gordon) and earned respect in the garage (Jeff Gordon). Minus getting HIV/AIDS, it is eerie how similar Tim Richmond's and Jeff Gordon's early career went. Sad too....

the 30-4-30 with vlade divac was really a very good documentary. It moved me, thats for sure. terribly sad how those guys fell out with each other and even sadder that divac was never able to reconcile with drazen before his very unfortunate passing. I never heard anything about petrovic when i was growing up and it was really very interesting how talented he was. He seems lke he could have been a star for years.

• 11 months later...

Just Watched "Catching Hell" about the Steve Bartman incident in game 6 of the NCLS. I have been waiting for this one for a long time. It was pretty freaking good. One of the best ones they did, you just feel so bad for the guy and how Cubs nation turned on him just a easy as can be. They also said he has been offered hundreds of thousands of dollars to speak and never took a dime. Seems like a good dude.

Just Watched "Catching Hell" about the Steve Bartman incident in game 6 of the NCLS. I have been waiting for this one for a long time. It was pretty freaking good. One of the best ones they did, you just feel so bad for the guy and how Cubs nation turned on him just a easy as can be. They also said he has been offered hundreds of thousands of dollars to speak and never took a dime. Seems like a good dude.

Yes, and it was especially therapeutic to watch a night after seeing the Skins lose a tough game versus Dallas.

Don't want to give much away about the show, but I thought it was cool how they weaved in the Buckner incident.

Archived