Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official espn 30 for 30 thread

Spaceman Spiff

I saw it and it was very good piece. Loving the 30 for 30 shows. Pretty sad that his life went crashing down for doing something pretty much anyone would do at a baseball game if the ball was hit in their direction. Pretty insane story

The whole incident is a pretty sad state of affairs when it comes to sports fandom.

It's a game! That's all it is. In the grand scheme of things, it means nothing. From people throwing beers and pizza at Bartman, to fans fighting in the stands, to people beaten in a coma in the parking lot of a stadium. Why? It's a goddamned game.

• 11 months later...

They're coming back. IMO, the only reason to watch anything on espn outside of sportscenter.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/espn-announces-fall-30-for-30-schedule-adds-ghosts-of-ole-miss-theres-no-place-like-home-and-9-79#

Here's a link to the 10 minute short "Arnold's Blueprint" http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8424161/the-first-short-new-30-30-documentary-series

Watched Arnolds Blueprint the other day. For all the hate the guy gets (and some of it is deserved, specifically the womanizing aspect of his image) you really cant deny that he made himself out of nothing and got to where he is off of sheer ambition and determination.

looks like some interesting stories, I know I am interested in the 9.79* one to see if they soley villify Ben Johnson, or point out how other men in that race either later tested positive or "missed" the post race drug test. Every sprinter, from 1988 to 1996 and probably beyond, was dirty in one way shape or form, and I wonder how they will address that or if they will at all.

The Pete Rose, Bo Jackson & Broke ones look pretty interesting as well, hope TSN up here puts them on soon, we had to wait a while for some of the original ones. I can't swing a dead cat without TSN replaying the Wayne Gretzky 30 for 30 (Kings Ransom?) hopefully they will show some of these new ones instead of the Wayne one over and over again.

• 1 month later...

This is very powerful stuff, indeed. I felt my blood boiling watching that pep rally thing earlier in the movie. I have a lot of feelings about the old south and the Civil War. Many of them would get me banned if I shared them on this board, many of them I'm not proud of.

I can tell this is going to be an intense experience for me.

This is very powerful stuff, indeed. I felt my blood boiling watching that pep rally thing earlier in the movie. I have a lot of feelings about the old south and the Civil War. Many of them would get me banned if I shared them on this board, many of them I'm not proud of.

I can tell this is going to be an intense experience for me.

Yea, some of the images are unreal. How easy we all forget.

Overall, thought it was pretty good. Not the best in the series, but very good. The images of the entire white stadium screaming and waving Confederate flags was stunning.

didnt watch tonight's, but Benji's last week is top 3 for me in this series. I actually cried for this one. I didnt cry for Without Bias.

It was a brilliant doc, great story telling. It didnt do the obvious thing, which I liked a lot.

Benji was good. That law that forced gun shot victims to go the the closest hospital, instead of the local trauma hospital, was infuriating. I had no idea about that part of the story.

Benji was good. That law that forced gun shot victims to go the the closest hospital, instead of the local trauma hospital, was infuriating. I had no idea about that part of the story.

the City of Chicago did not care about black kids dying. That will probably upset people, but its the only reason. There is no other reason.

If he was taken to a real hospital, he probably still lives.

I liked how they let the killer tell his side of the story too. Its very believable as well. Glad dude turned his life around, and im sad that his friend went back.

The Ole Miss 30for30 last night was good. I think the director did a good job framing the issues while acknowledging that he has emotional attachments to certain parts of Ole Miss' history that have nothing to do with those issues -- but he completely understands why those traditions stir the fears of racism in minorities.

I remember growing up and identifying with those supporting keeping the Stars and Bars and Colonel Rebel. Then I joined the Army and was exposed to the other side of the argument. Ole Miss is still Ole Miss, and having a Rebel Black Bear and a red M with white stars as the new logo hold onto enough of the heritage to satisfy the traditionalists while also changing enough.

The Ole Miss 30for30 last night was good. I think the director did a good job framing the issues while acknowledging that he has emotional attachments to certain parts of Ole Miss' history that have nothing to do with those issues -- but he completely understands why those traditions stir the fears of racism in minorities.

I remember growing up and identifying with those supporting keeping the Stars and Bars and Colonel Rebel. Then I joined the Army and was exposed to the other side of the argument. Ole Miss is still Ole Miss, and having a Rebel Black Bear and a red M with white stars as the new logo hold onto enough of the heritage to satisfy the traditionalists while also changing enough.

This was the first 30 for 30 that I didn't really like. I feel like they made the football team out to be some kind of heroes for making it through their season despite everything else that was going on, however I never felt as though the team was really victimized in any way or that they really did anything heroic. If they had told the story differently, I might have enjoyed it more.

This was the first 30 for 30 that I didn't really like. I feel like they made the football team out to be some kind of heroes for making it through their season despite everything else that was going on, however I never felt as though the team was really victimized in any way or that they really did anything heroic. If they had told the story differently, I might have enjoyed it more.
If Ole Miss had gone undefeated in any other season, they likely would have been crowned National Champions. But since it happened in 1962, and the riots were national news, and the Governor was refusing to integrate Ole Miss, enough voters refused to vote Ole Miss as #1 that the finished ranked #3. USC was voted #1 at 11-0-0. Wisconsin was voted #2 at 8-2-0. Ole Miss was voted #3 at 10-0-0, getting jumped in the final poll by #2Wisconsin despite the fact that Wisconsin had a loss.

USC

#8Duke

@SMU

@Iowa

Cal

@Illinois

#9Washington

@Stanford

Navy

@UCLA

Notre Dame

#2Wisconsin (Rose Bowl)

Wisconsin

NMSU

Indiana

Notre Dame

@Iowa

@Ohio St (Lost)

@Michigan

@#1Northwestern

@Illinois

#5Minnesota

#1USC (Lost in Rose Bowl)

Ole Miss

@Memphis

Kentucky

Houston

Tulane

@Vanderbuilt

@#4LSU

Tennessee-Chattanooga

@Tennessee

Mississippi St

#6Arkansas (Sugar Bowl)

Voting for National Champions took place after the final regular season game, and before bowl games. So an undefeated team from the SEC was bypassed for a 1 loss Big 10 team, and finished 3rd in the polls. Meanwhile, in 1961 Ole Miss finished #5 (9-1), in 1960 Ole Miss finished #2 (10-0-1 - with Minnesota crowned National Champions with 2 losses). Ole Miss lost out on being crowned National Champion because of what was happening in Oxford. So One could make the argument they were victimized by what was going on.

Voting for National Champions took place after the final regular season game, and before bowl games. So an undefeated team from the SEC was bypassed for a 1 loss Big 10 team, and finished 3rd in the polls. Meanwhile, in 1961 Ole Miss finished #5 (9-1), in 1960 Ole Miss finished #2 (10-0-1 - with Minnesota crowned National Champions with 2 losses). Ole Miss lost out on being crowned National Champion because of what was happening in Oxford. So One could make the argument they were victimized by what was going on.

I guess I just don't think the story was told from the right perspective, then. There was a lot of time spent telling the story about the riots, which some of the players and a large number of the students participated in. Then they'd jump to a game and talk about how it was something positive to bring students together, but given that the students and some of the players were the ones perpetuating the riots, it just seemed weird to act like they needed to be brought together among themselves. The students and players weren't some innocent bystanders to the riots, they were the ones participating. Even if the team were just bystanders, the story didn't portray the team or the program as victims of anything, it seemed to try to portray them as some kind of saviors which they were not.

I get being a great team but being passed up because of circumstances off the field, I just don't think the story was told very well to get that perspective across. The film itself didn't leave me feeling much empathy at all for the team, program, or school.

Archived