Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: What If Aaron Rogers/Campbell Picks Reversed, Skins get Aaron, Packers Jason

Redskinizzle

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You made a comment about Rodgers. Packers are my second favorite team. I offered some insight from someone who follows the team. It's not as complicated as you're making it.

You also say that JC isn't a problem on this offense so why should the other stuff be worth listening to?

Aaron Rodgers learned under Favre and was in the same system for 3 years before starting

System is correct. The Favre part is incorrect. When they drafted Rodgers, Favre has been quoted as saying something to the effect of "Im not here to be a mentor to anyone, Im here to win games".

You also say that JC isn't a problem on this offense so why should the other stuff be worth listening to?

Just because I analyze other things on the football field than the QB doesn't mean I don't place any blame on the QB. You've made comments that suggest you don't even watch the games so what makes anything you say worth listening to?

System is correct. The Favre part is incorrect. When they drafted Rodgers, Favre has been quoted as saying something to the effect of "Im not here to be a mentor to anyone, Im here to win games".

Yeah Favre didn't really take on the mentor role but Aaron was able to watch him very closely in practice, the film room, game preperation, etc. So he probably still benefited from him.

Yeah Favre didn't really take on the mentor role but Aaron was able to watch him very closely in practice, the film room, game preperation, etc. So he probably still benefited from him.

There is no doubt that having a stable system, one OC, and time to mature helps a young QB become a successful one.

However, the above doesn't magically make a frog into a prince or take a misfit for a system and turn him into a fit for it either.

There is no doubt that having a stable system, one OC, and time to mature helps a young QB become a successful one.

However, the above doesn't magically make a frog into a prince or take a misfit for a system and turn him into a fit for it either.

No doubt, but Green Bay definitely put Rodgers in the best possible situation to succeed. They have a deep WR corp, excellent pass catching TE's, and usually a reliable running game. Also a defense that forces a LOT of turnovers. And even though that OL is currently struggling it isn't due to lack of attention. Green Bay has been drafting young linemen steadily since Rodgers came there, in anticipation of their older vets moving on. Once that young OL gets it together*didn't allow a sack yesterday* that team is going to be among the best.

No doubt, but Green Bay definitely put Rodgers in the best possible situation to succeed. They have a deep WR corp, excellent pass catching TE's, and usually a reliable running game.

Their run game isn't anything special but is fed from their pass first mentality.

Their WR corps are deep but how much of that is the system and how much is the skill players? Their TE's are no better than Cooley and Davis, and may be worse.

Also a defense that forces a LOT of turnovers. And even though that OL is currently struggling it isn't due to lack of attention. Green Bay has been drafting young linemen steadily since Rodgers came there, in anticipation of their older vets moving on. Once that young OL gets it together*didn't allow a sack yesterday* that team is going to be among the best.

They have been smart about drafting young O-lineman. 4 of the 5 starters have 4 years or less in the NFL.

Their defense is another matter. It has been their Achilles heel for the last number of years, hence why they brought Dom Capers to turn it into a 3-4 defense.

Their run game isn't anything special but is fed from their pass first mentality.

Their WR corps are deep but how much of that is the system and how much is the skill players? Their TE's are no better than Cooley and Davis, and may be worse.

They have been smart about drafting young O-lineman. 4 of the 5 starters have 4 years or less in the NFL.

Their defense is another matter. It has been their Achilles heel for the last number of years, hence why they brought Dom Capers to turn it into a 3-4 defense.

Ryan Grant was a beast when he first took over the starting role. I think he was only second to Adrian Peterson with yards per game for those games. This year he's started slow but has picked it up. Yesterday he had 27 carries for nearly 150 yards. Rodgers only threw the ball 20 times.

As far as talent goes, they have a LOT of underrated players at the skill position. Donald Driver and Greg Jennings are both strong fast receivers with GREAT hands. James Jones and Jordy Nelson are both great route runners and good possesion receivers. Their TE's; Jermichael Finley is a beastly athlete with size, speed, and hands. Donald Lee is more of a blocking TE but he is a decent pass catcher.

On the OL they anticipated guys like Clifton and Wahle leaving or goingdown years ago and started drafted linemen left and right. It's paying off now and that OL will look much better against the Vikings next week.

The defense really had been solid before last year where they just fell apart. But coming into this year they were healthy and have awesome depth at all 3 levels, especially along the DL and LB positions, and that secondary gets INT's like crazy(at least 11 this year so far).

The overall point is that clearly Rodgers is/was a better QB prospect than Jason Cambell, but that Green Bay organization is light years ahead of the Redskins when it comes to building a team, and setting a young QB up for success.

I posted this in another thread but I figured it would also be appropriate here for those of you who don't understand the TOTAL difference in the situation the Packers have put Aaron Rodgers in. Plus, I had some more I wanted to add that is more appropriate for this thread.

Here are the Packers current starters and when they were drafted:

LT- TJ Lang (Rookie, 4th rd)

LG- Darren Colledge (2006, 2nd rd)

C- Jason Spitz (2006, 3rd rd)

RG- Josh Sitton (2008, 4th rd)

RT- Allen Barbre (2007, 4th rd)

So despite the Packers having one of the most solid olines when Rodgers was first drafted in 2005- with guys like Chad Clifton, Mike Wahle, and Mark Tauscher- the Packers steadily drafted OL since then. So now as their former starters go down from injury or just diminishing skills they have these young guys in place to protect Rodgers.

Their OL started the year with a lot of injuries and players changing positions, which is why the sacks were high, but this young group hs stepped in and is coming together well.

The Packers are the perfect example of how any franchise should build around their QB. Not only was their entire current starting OL brought in after Rodgers was drafted. They've also drafted Greg Jennings (WR, 2006, 2nd rd), James Jones (WR, 2007, 3rd rd), Jordy Nelson (WR, 2008, 2nd rd), and Jermichael Finley (TE, 2008, 3rd rd).

So they have steadily brought in talent around Rodgers since he was drafted, and they have the coaching and scheme in place that gets results out of these players.

Also the Packers have been able to rely on their running game when their OL has struggled to pass protect. The Packers have played in one LESS game than us, but here are there rushing numbers compared to ours.

Redskins: 654 yards, 3.9 per

Packers: 708 yards, 4.3 per

And remember they've played one less game.

Also their defense is GREAT at forcing turnovers as I stated earlier in this thread; giving Rodgers and the offense a short field or even SCORING THEMSELVES.

Redskins: 3 INT's (All by D. Hall)

Packers: 11 INT's (One ran in for a TD by Woodson, also one fumble return for a TD by Clay Mathews)

Again, this is in one less game.

Anyone should be able to see that the situation that Rodgers has been put in since being drafted is light years better than Campbell's with this disfunctional organization.

All the above. Its the O-Line that is terrible. Aaron would make plays here and there as JC does now. (My prediction, of coarse, no one can say for sure) But unless you Payton Manning your not going to have sucsess behind this TERRIBLE O-line. 7 out of 8 times there is tremendice pressure, not always leading to sacks, but at least hurried passes.

Regardless of whether we keep Campbell or choose another QB to lead us in the future, our team needs to load up on draft picks and bring in as much young talent around our QB as possible. And Bugel is a Redskins legend, but we need to consider getting position coach upgrades for him and Stan Hixon. They haven't developed any players in a while, and their units seem to lack fundamentals.

Regardless of whether we keep Campbell or choose another QB to lead us in the future, our team needs to load up on draft picks and bring in as much young talent around our QB as possible. And Bugel is a Redskins legend, but we need to consider getting position coach upgrades for him and Stan Hixon. They haven't developed any players in a while, and their units seem to lack fundamentals.

It's not Bugel's fault he can't turn UDFA's into All-Pro's. Bugel hasn't been given much to work with and our line is good if you consider who is starting on it.

I agree about Stan Hixon though.

Aaron Rodgers has been mentored by Favre, under the same system for 3 years, and has 2 of the best route running/sure handed receivers in the league (Donald Driver and Greg Jennings).

....and Jason was drafted to be in a system that runs the ball heavily and bombs it here and there when the defense is focused on the run and the secondary is thin.....then we switched to a WCO but failed to get a WCO QB.....and oddly did not draft any O lineman even though Samuels and Thomas are vets and have had a resume of serious surgeries.

I don't know how much better we'd be. Rodgers has shown he can be effective without a great OL though. The Packers OL is just terrible, might be worse than ours. On the other hand they have much better coaching. Our coaches would have probably ruined Rodgers by now. We don't exactly have a history of developing QBs.

I don't know how much better we'd be. Rodgers has shown he can be effective without a great OL though. The Packers OL is just terrible, might be worse than ours. On the other hand they have much better coaching. Our coaches would have probably ruined Rodgers by now. We don't exactly have a history of developing QBs.

Don't fall for the uninformed hype on this board. A few posts back I broke down the Packers oline situation and how they've addressed it.

Archived