Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thomas Claims Starting Spot from Kelly

SIXX99

Didn't see this posted.....

Devin Thomas has moved ahead of Malcolm Kelly on the depth chart and into the starting lineup, Jim Zorn said on Thursday.

“Right now that is a permanent move,” Zorn said. “I wasn’t getting enough out of Malcolm as I felt like we needed to.”

Thomas and Kelly, both 2008 second-round draft picks, have struggled to make an impact on the Redskins’ offense.

Thomas, who started last Sunday vs. Kansas City, has just four catches for 31 yards.

Kelly, who started the first five games of the season, has seven catches for 73 yards.

No matter who starts, both Thomas and Kelly are expected to see plenty of playing time, along with Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El, in the Redskins’ passing game.

“I like what Devin is doing,” Zorn said. “I like the effort he is putting in. He is concentrating. The biggest improvement I have seen with him is the lack of errors on the field. He knows much more about the offense and he has more confidence.”

Kelly impressed during preseason and won the starting job heading into Week 1.

He has struggled to get open, though.

Kelly spent most of 2008 rehabbing an injured knee, so in some respects coaches regard this season as his rookie year.

“Malcolm knows where he’s headed as far as what he needs to improve,” Zorn said. “He’s got a great attitude. Devin kept getting better and better...I have to make a chance if the production is not there.”

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/News___Notes__Thomas_Claims_Starting_Job_72427.jsp

But seriously, I don't really care. Both have been disappointments. Hopefully Sherm will do something with them that Zorn was unable to do, but I've lost faith.

I don't think Shem is gonna be able to help them, I think they just don't get open.

I think they may be trying to cover or keep a Kelly knee injury or issue as quiet as possible... thats just me though, and nothing more then pure premature speculation.

Didn't think of that, I love a conspiracy theroy. But I would just imagine that is becasue he has done NOTHING all season.

I don't think Shem is gonna be able to help them, I think they just don't get open.

See, I still think that Sherm is gonna be doing Hixon's job. Maybe not yet, but when he sees that they can't run a slant or a fade route, I can see him getting more active in practice and saying WTF are you teaching them.

See, I still think that Sherm is gonna be doing Hixon's job. Maybe not yet, but when he sees that they can't run a slant or a fade route, I can see him getting more active in practice and saying WTF are you teaching them.

Good point. Last week I was at the game and I was sitting above the endzone and I would try to watch the recievers and see how they got open, the view was kind of like you were playing madden so you got a good look. And the only person who was consistently open was Cooley. So maybe its just something the coaches are telling these guys because its hard to believe we drafted the two worst recievers out of that round.

great... more touchdown passes and deep balls to be dropped

Thomas caught the deep ball thrown to him out of bounds by JC last week....the one he dropped he was actually tackled at his feet before the ball got there. He has been open but never looked at by JC.

This just make Zorn look more of an idiot imo.... Yea there has been plays Ive seen that Kelly couldnt get seperation, but then theres been plays ive seen wide open.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD ZORN ITS THE FREAKING QB!!!

And Srsly why not Mitchell.... he prob will do better then both Kelly and Thomas

They gave Kelly and chance and he did nothing, now it's time for Devin to step up and make to most of his opportunity.

Or its Thomas' chance to do nothing.:doh: Seriously I hope at least one of them steps it up this year. But if they don't this year; all the chaos cannot help. They must step up next year. Period.

Thomas caught the deep ball thrown to him out of bounds by JC last week....the one he dropped he was actually tackled at his feet before the ball got there. He has been open but never looked at by JC.

Don't you dare defend our players with facts!

Archived