Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder owes an apology to Jason Campbell

BnG4EVER

Snyder has given up two first round picks to get JC, on top of another pick. He GAVE him millions of dollars (because JC has not earned it in my book), and brought in a crappy coach just to help JC develop.

Snyder has wasted four seasons (I'm not counting the first one when JC was on the bench and no one knew just how un-NFL he was) on this guy. He has been given more chances and more time than ANY other Redskins QB with his numbers and issues in recent history.

Snyder owes JC NOTHING!!!!!!!

Snyder owes the fans. That's it. JC owes Snyder AND the fans.

Yeah, right. Gibbs may have been here, but you'd have to be delusional to believe that Vinny and Dan weren't driving.

Actually, that was Gibb's pick... that's well known. Campbell is the guy that Gibbs wanted to run his offense, Gibbs himself hand picked Campbell.

I was shocked when the Redskins jumped up to take Campbell. He QB'd an Auburn team with 2 first round running backs, a huge O-Line and a very good defense. I watched him live in the Sugar bowl when Va Tech took away the running game. JC had the worst day of his life when they had to try to live off of his arm. (VT wore down in the fourth quarter and Auburn won the game despite Jason Campbells efforts.)

JC is over his head on this team. If he had a great Oline and running game he could be minimally successfful, but that is not where we are. I believe both sides will be better off next year when he is gone.

I was shocked when the Redskins jumped up to take Campbell. He QB'd an Auburn team with 2 first round running backs, a huge O-Line and a very good defense. I watched him live in the Sugar bowl when Va Tech took away the running game. JC had the worst day of his life when they had to try to live off of his arm. (VT wore down in the fourth quarter and Auburn won the game despite Jason Campbells efforts.)

That's odd, he was MVP of that Sugar Bowl.

Cerrato can't properly evaluate NFL talent as shown by his 2008 draft class.

You also forgot to mention how Cerrato has yet to make a reasonable deal in a trade.

In retrospect, we should have gotten more for our 1st in 2008. That we gave picks back in that deal was ridiculous.

Then there was the debacle of not even waiting out the time this past draft. I love the Orakpo pick, but at least see what else is out there for trades. The guy aint freakin' Peyton Manning after all.

If it wasn't for our scouts like Scott Campbell making late round gem picks, we'd really be screwed.

What apology is needed? Campbell has been given many opportunities.

Campbell was worked into the starter's role midway through his second season; that's very reasonable by NFL standards. Before this last off-season, he's received public support as either the unquestioned QB starter or annointed as the heir-apparent in 2005-2006.

Jason's started a bunch of games -- and, until the 2009 off-season, he was considered as "unchallenged" by the coaches and FO for being our starting QB. And until last week, he's not been benched for bad play.

Most of Campbell's QB competition have not been very threatening to Campbell's long term prospects with the team. The aging Todd Collins was not intended as a replacement threat to Campbell's career-track as a Skins starter; Todd was originally intended as emergency/spot replacement at best, and to primarily help mentor Jason with the Saunders offense.

While it wasn't the best in the NFL, Campbell enjoyed roughly the same line-coverage as Collins in 2007. In 2006, he was protected by the same line that protected Brunell. He's been given personalized coaching by a lot of good coaches and one-on-one attention from OCs like Saunders, etc. One of the factors of finding an HC in 2008, was that the coach would use Campbell. That's support too.

And true there has been creeping deterioration on the O-line, and decline of Portis' running threat but Jason enjoyed years when those things were a in a little better shape. He was counted on to step in and guide the team to success as new talent was infused into the team. That's showing trust in your QB to develop at the team's leader.

Now things have soured in 2009, with the FO wanting Cutler or Sanchez -- but Campbell probably could have still turned it around with some decent games in the first 5 games.

Campbell played horribly in Al Saunders system, a system tailor made for strong armed QBs. Flacco running that system right now in Baltimore. Campbell isn't accurate at all on his deep passes. If he's not a fit for the shorter WCO, and can't hit deep passes, exactly what offense would suit him? The wildcat?

Correction. Saunders is a "consultant", not a "coordinator". Thats Cam Camerons job description...

He has been given more chances and more time than ANY other Redskins QB with his numbers and issues in recent history.

Yep, that's a really good point. Assuming he starts on Monday night, Campbell will have been given more regular season starts for this team than Mark Rypien. If he is still starting at the next Eagles game I believe he will have been given more starts than any Skins QB since Joe Theismann.

If any recent Skins QB needs and apology, it's Patrick Ramsey.

Please. After Gibbs retired, no one was a bigger Campbell guy than Snyder. Gibbs had given up on JC and told Snyder Collins should be the guy. Gregg Williams wanted Collins to start -- one of the things that cost him the job -- and even tried to get Todd to go to Jacksonville with him. In fact, Zorn was the only coach who would promise Snyder that JC would get the job no questions asked.

Campbell has not been helped by changing systems and the personnel around him. But other QBs have done more with less. Few QBS -- maybe not any in today's NFL -- have been given more chances or had more excuses made for him.

I always root for him to prove me wrong. I will Monday night.

But I think we'll see Todd by halftime.

Please. After Gibbs retired, no one was a bigger Campbell guy than Snyder. Gibbs had given up on JC and told Snyder Collins should be the guy. Gregg Williams wanted Collins to start -- one of the things that cost him the job -- and even tried to get Todd to go to Jacksonville with him. In fact, Zorn was the only coach who would promise Snyder that JC would get the job no questions asked.

Campbell has not been helped by changing systems and the personnel around him. But other QBs have done more with less. Few QBS -- maybe not any in today's NFL -- have been given more chances or had more excuses made for him.

I always root for him to prove me wrong. I will Monday night.

But I think we'll see Todd by halftime.

This is exactly how I feel, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Jason is lost on the field, can't hit the bombs, and even slow on timing routs. I pull for him every time he's on the field, but always get disappointed.

Zorn benched him a half, then told him he better produce on Monday Night. Sitting down a half is not going to make Jason any smarter, any more accurate, or better in any way. We will see the same ole Jason Campbell Monday Night, because that's who and what he is. There's a good chance we won't see him anymore after that.

This is exactly how I feel, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Jason is lost on the field, can't hit the bombs, and even slow on timing routs. I pull for him every time he's on the field, but always get disappointed.

Zorn benched him a half, then told him he better produce on Monday Night. Sitting down a half is not going to make Jason any smarter, any more accurate, or better in any way. We will see the same ole Jason Campbell Monday Night, because that's who and what he is. There's a good chance we won't see him anymore after that.

Well said!

Archived