Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Five underrated NFL executives

Dirk Diggler

Mort's thoughts on the situation:

Until Cerrato is replaced with someone who is competent -- wouldn't firing Zorn, replacing Campbell, etc., etc. be tantamount to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic?

Chris Mortensen (11:15 AM) I am sure Dan Snyder will repeat what he did when he brought Joe Gibbs out of retirement - give that head coach the power to run the football operations. remember, a lot of these players were picked by Gibbs. And the roster isn't terrible. But that's what I expect will happen.

Why would these young, bright guys want to commit career suicide by coming here? This is the part I don't understand.

Because of the challenge of turning around a failing franchise is more of a prize then any money can buy. This league is full of coaches/GM's and coordinators who had little suceess with one team, but have had more sucess with another. Kinda explains why so many move around.

Man, does anyone else recognize that name -- "LIONEL VITAL" -- the way I do?

If I'm not mistaken, he was one of our strike players from the 1987 team that won all three games and helped make sure we stayed in the playoff hunt while the regulars were on strike.

Blast from the past.

Why would these young, bright guys want to commit career suicide by coming here? This is the part I don't understand.

You're not smart enough to realize that if someone turns the franchise around that would make them a 'front office czar' rather than someone committing career suicide? Man, the negativism some of you cats carry around is AMAZING! Why be a fan if you've determined that regardless of what happens it's going to fail?

I'd be all for a team of Floyd Reese and Nick Caserio. Reese is a proven NFL man with a very strong track record who would be able to manage dealing with Snyder (Bud Adams isn't the easiest man to work for either) and Caserio could replicate what Dimitroff has done in Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta for 14 years and that franchise, even when they went to the Super Bowl, was a joke. He's instilled a level of respectability I never thought I'd see for the Falcons.

You're not smart enough to realize that if someone turns the franchise around that would make them a 'front office czar' rather than someone committing career suicide? Man, the negativism some of you cats carry around is AMAZING! Why be a fan if you've determined that regardless of what happens it's going to fail?

Well, here's the thing. I can understand how Holmgren or someone with rings could pull off sharing power with Mr. Snyder assuming Mr. Snyder has learned a lesson.

But I can't see Snyder really handing over the reins to a young, bright guy for long. It would be way to easy too pull the reins back when he fell in love with the next big toy.

That's why I don't understand how a smaller name, younger guy would make that choice if he had other teams to choose from. Seems foolish to me from a long term view. I wouldn't do it.

I'd be all for a team of Floyd Reese and Nick Caserio. Reese is a proven NFL man with a very strong track record who would be able to manage dealing with Snyder (Bud Adams isn't the easiest man to work for either) and Caserio could replicate what Dimitroff has done in Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta for 14 years and that franchise, even when they went to the Super Bowl, was a joke. He's instilled a level of respectability I never thought I'd see for the Falcons.

Dude, Floyd Reese put the Titans in salary cap hell, they had to gut the team. He also drafted Pacman Jones and Vince Young.

Floyd Reese would be a great pick and is currently with the Pats as a consultant. The guys resume speaks for itself. But, I might like someone a bit younger like a Kevin Colbert (Dir of Football Ops for Steelers).

Dude, Floyd Reese put the Titans in salary cap hell, they had to gut the team. He also drafted Pacman Jones and Vince Young.

He also helped build a team that went to the Super Bowl, drafted Jevon Kearse, Albert Haynesworth, Cortland Finnegan, signed Kyle Vandenbosch and built a team that was consistently a playoff contender for the past 12 years. He's been gone a little over a year now, how's Tennessee doing without him?

BTW, I could totally understand an older GM making it work here, IF "Mr. Snyder" has finally learned something.

Figure a $25 million deal to help fund the grandkids' trusts. A guy that has enough of a name to be able to swing a contract that gives him more contractual control.

And if things go bad, an older guy with rings can still salvage his reputation. So his risk profile is just different than an up and coming guy.

That make sense to me.

No GM has had a perfect draft record but you can't just name a couple of busts without naming some of the great ones. For example, he drafted Eddie George, Jevon Kearse, Haynesworth, Steve McNair to name a few.

Archived