Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chucky and Bruce Allen as a Package

veteranskinsfan

He's a good friend of Snyder, has a decent-but not stellar personnel record, works well with Gruden.. That would be my second choice behind Shanahan. In Tampa they were kind of hamstrung by a cheap owner (usually $20-$30 million under the cap) so that won't be an issue. It would be interesting to see what they do with an owner willing to spend.

Agree 100% I want gruden over shanahan almost though

If the Redskins hired Chucky then Bruce Allen would be brought in as the General Manager. What do you think about George Allen's son? Would he be a good General Manager for us?

Casserly..or Bruce Alllen..Maybe Gruden but I also like Marty and believe he would seriously think about it..But Marty is no GM....HC only this time and there has to be a GM in place.

Fire Cerrato today!

Are those tampa fans still partying?
Not partying over being a bottom dwelling team at the moment, no, but they know they're rebuilding in a new direction and it'll take some time to hopefully turn things around. Of course they're not going to be good when they're re-tooling the entire team the way they are. They didn't even leave their Tampa-2 scheme intact.

But Gruden/Allen had them going in no direction, just putting band-aids over the same issues as the team was clearly beginning to go downhill.

I think I like the Gruden solution the best of all of them. Everybody else seems to be someone else's coach, shanahan is the broncos, Cowher is the Steelers, Holmgren is Seatle, Gruden is the only one that has hopped around enough to not really have a long legacy. Maybe we can make him on in DC.

So is Tom Coughlin still Jacksonville's after spending 10 yrs there? He's only been in NY like 5 or 6

Why would Shanny be ahead of Chucky on your list? Chucky did much more with less to work with than Shanny did, and Shanny would probably want complete control as HC/GM.

Well, I think Shanny is a better in game coach and game planner than Gruden. Shanahan's offenses have always been productive. His teams had a propensity for losing games they should win at times but I'd expect his firing was a wake up call and he's going to be a little different in some of the ways he approaches things.

One thing I like about both of them over Holmgren is that they've both been active, visiting teams, talking to coaches, studying tapes rather than taking a vacation.

didn't Allen get run out of Oakland and Tampa????? Bruce Allen Heck no... We should have tried Mckay. I like Chucky and would rather have Holgrem as GM. Bruce Allen is a failure and is not what we need right now. Other then his father being a Redskin what reason would somebody want him here????? What is on his resume????

This from a WP article back in January but there is a connection between Allen and Snyder:

Several sources who have worked for or with owner Daniel Snyder and/or Allen have said the men have much common ground and that Snyder has dabbled with hiring Allen in the past. They said that Allen's personality would be a good fit for Snyder - he would be cool with the ancillary things that usually come with working closely with Snyder, like jetting off to Vegas or Aspen or Europe, working very late hours sometimes, etc. Several sources who previously worked in Washington's front office thought it was a combination that makes sense and could see Snyder being interested in Allen - who previously worked as an agent and has steep history managing the salary cap as well.

We all know about the connection with Allen and Gruden but interesting "package" theory.

Let's try a real football guy as a GM. Is Bobby Mitchell available? The first major mistake this team made was promoting Casserly over Mitchell as replacement for Beathard. The second was selling the team to Snyder.

This organization either takes baby steps or refuses to do things that make sense. However, the concensus is that Holmgren, Shanny and Cowher would require GM responsibilities. Outside of Bellicheck (sp?) there really hasn't been any coach/GM that's been successful.

I think the point of the thread is maybe we "back" someone in to a GM position occupied by Allen, without calling them a GM, versus trying to get Dan to fire Vinny.

Yeah, we should totally make someone GM because he is George Allen's son. That's a smart way to choose candidates. :rolleyes:

That's not what I'm suggesting but the simple fact that Snyder knows this guy, who knows Gruden is further towards getting football guys in the front office than where we've been in 10 years.

Are you guys kidding me, he is 10X better then that joke terd Cerrato. FRED DAVIS....FRED DAVIS..what the hell was that!

I agree!!! Oh and Fred Davis was that guy we drafted for our AWESOME 2 TE sets, while there were Lineman to be had sitting on the table...:)

While Bruce Allen doenst "wow" me, I think people need to understand what Gruden brings to the table. As a proven winner and leader who gets the attention of his players he would be refreshing for this franchise. I also believe he has been aided by stepping away from coaching and doing MNF. This time has given him time off to reflect upon his previous coaching gigs and what he could better.

This link is an article written last month by a Tampa paper and gives great insight into Gruden as a coach and clears up some misconceptions including the "Dungy's Team" superbowl win.

http://www.bucem.com/2009/9/6/1012083/why-jon-gruden-didnt-work-out-in

:logo:

I really like the idea of Gruden becoming our next head coach. I believe that he will bring fire, heart, passion, and accountablity to this team which needs them all badly. I don't want a "player's" coach. I believe that this is a job for these players just like yours and mine and I know that my boss makes me accountable.

As somebody who lives in Tampa as a Redskins diehard, the idea of Gruden in DC both terrifies me and makes it move a little bit, too. The terrifying thing is Bruce Allen. Bruce Allen is Gruden's Vinny Cerrato. In other words, it would be like Gruden was the GM. Look at the moves that were made under Bruce Allen and you will see that the Bucs suck today because of the team he built then.

I say no to Bruce Allen even though his father was an amazing coach and great man. I just think the moves in Tampa were not just the results of a cheap owner, but Gruden having too much control over personel.

While Bruce Allen doenst "wow" me, I think people need to understand what Gruden brings to the table. As a proven winner and leader who gets the attention of his players he would be refreshing for this franchise. I also believe he has been aided by stepping away from coaching and doing MNF. This time has given him time off to reflect upon his previous coaching gigs and what he could better.

This link is an article written last month by a Tampa paper and gives great insight into Gruden as a coach and clears up some misconceptions including the "Dungy's Team" superbowl win.

http://www.bucem.com/2009/9/6/1012083/why-jon-gruden-didnt-work-out-in

:logo:

Nice find on the Article... Us West Coast Redskin fans saw what he brought to the table when he was coaching the Raiders. Took a chump team and turned them around.

didn't Allen get run out of Oakland and Tampa????? Bruce Allen Heck no... We should have tried Mckay. I like Chucky and would rather have Holgrem as GM. Bruce Allen is a failure and is not what we need right now. Other then his father being a Redskin what reason would somebody want him here????? What is on his resume????

I agree about Allen and McKay especially, but where do people keep getting the idea that Holmgren would be a good GM? He sucked at it in Seattle and was eventually told to either let go of responsibility for personnel or quit. He's s very good coach but a lousy GM.

This from a WP article back in January but there is a connection between Allen and Snyder:

Several sources who have worked for or with owner Daniel Snyder and/or Allen have said the men have much common ground and that Snyder has dabbled with hiring Allen in the past. They said that Allen's personality would be a good fit for Snyder - he would be cool with the ancillary things that usually come with working closely with Snyder, like jetting off to Vegas or Aspen or Europe, working very late hours sometimes, etc. Several sources who previously worked in Washington's front office thought it was a combination that makes sense and could see Snyder being interested in Allen - who previously worked as an agent and has steep history managing the salary cap as well.

We all know about the connection with Allen and Gruden but interesting "package" theory.

I'd like Gruden as our HC. However he never accomplished much without a decent QB. With his guy Allen as GM, Tampa's talent steadily eroded and Chucky was never able to find another good QB.

Allen sounds like Vinny part deux. :doh: I'd much rather we brought in McKay. If Gruden wouldn't work with him (IIRC think they didn't get along in Tampa) then Shanahan would be my first choice.

I understand some points about Allen...

To me though, if this actually happened (Gruden as head coach and Allen as GM) it would at least show us that Danny is willing to hire a GM other than Cerrato. At this point, it would be a lesser-of-two-evils scenario to me and I'd consider it a baby-step in the right direction. The consolation prize would also be having a 40-something, fiery head coach to kick this roster in the ass.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres an interesting article from the Tampa paper in regards to bruce allen-

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article968391.ece

I do find it interesting that in january of 2008 both Gruden and Allen were given contract extensions thru 2011. And then in January 2009 both were fired. Seems to me the Bucs ownership is alot like Dany Snyder in his early years.

Archived