Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets compare Gruden to Shanahan shall we?

F-16 CHIEF

someone who realizes that its time to get rid of some players and build up the team! these patch jobs are not working.. if it comes down to trading cooley for a 1st and 3rd then so be it... we need to start from the o-line n d-line and fill in the rest to what is available in the draft.. someone who will stand up to synder and be like sit down shut up and wait 2-3 years! and buy the players that i want! not what you want.

I like Gruden b/c he has passion which I think the Redskins sorely need. Not only passion, but Gruden's also got a good head for the game - unlike our current coach who can only diagnose if Campbell's footwork is off...

My firm belief is that the Redskins need a leader and Gruden can fill that role and work within Snyder's framework to accomplish it.

Shanny wants too much control and I don't see Snyder giving it to him. On the plus side, he can probably institute a cheap, crack blocking scheme to make our shambles of an o-line look super awesome. Sorry, not a big fan of Shanahan especially in his post-Elway years.

While I'd love Cowher - didn't he already turn down the job b/c he thinks Snyder is a joke? Though of the bunch, I'd love for Cowher to come and give this team an identity.

Holmgren would be awesome, but is he really in returning?

In the 'Take it for what it is worth' department.

Per an interview with J Clayton on the Left Coast, none of the aforementioned would take a position because of the current ownership. Basically that DS was such an easy guy to dislike especially after he sued his own fans.

Not saying that I agree or disagree. That is just what was said. Maybe John has his own issues out there, I do not know but this is the kind of thing that we hear about well away from the DC area.

gruden scares me because if you look at his run at tampa, specifically the offense, it is extremely unimpressive and billick-esque in that their success stemmed from a dominant D which he had nothing to do with... he was also never able to identify a suitable QB during his entire reign there...

I think shanahan, as long as he is not in charge of our draft, would be a better fit for our team...

Ability to build a team:

Shanny: PASS

Gruden: FAIL

Why does Gruden get a Fail? Gruden built the terrible Raiders into Super Bowl contenders. When Gruden took Tampa to the playoffs, who did they play? HIS TEAM!

Yeah, forgot to mention that Gruden also inherited a Tony Dungy built team in Tampa Bay.

This "Dungy built the Bucs" argument is rediculous. Dungy built a team that he couldn't take to the Super Bowl. Is it really a surprise that Gruden came in and within one year took them all the way, where Dungy couldn't do it for YEARS?

Also the OP's stats are skewed. Shannahan coached for three more seasons than Gruden has.

gruden scares me because if you look at his run at tampa, specifically the offense, it is extremely unimpressive and billick-esque in that their success stemmed from a dominant D which he had nothing to do with... he was also never able to identify a suitable QB during his entire reign there...

I think shanahan, as long as he is not in charge of our draft, would be a better fit for our team...

Oh yeah dont even worry about that. Vinny has the draft covered........:doh:

Would rather Gruden. He is younger, wouldn't cater to the star players, and IMO would be less prone to come here just for a paycheck.

Both are solid coaches but Shanny didn't do much without Elway, one of the greatest QBs of all time. Plus he is questionable at personnel decisions, which he might require authority over in order to come to DC. Although he couldn't be any worse than Dan/Vinny in that position.

Yeah, forgot to mention that Gruden also inherited a Tony Dungy built team in Tampa Bay.

Which he used to win a World Title beating the the Raiders team HE had built in the Super Bowl.

On balance I'd take Gruden, younger and we need some attitude to shake things up around here. Love to see Portis try to tell Gruden when to put him in or take him out.

The caveat on that is he renounces his Tim Tebow man crush and promises not to use our likely top 10 draft pick on an option QB who will probably not pan out in the NFL.

Let's throw in Holmgren as a comparison to these two..

Holmgren is the better coach of the 3 record wise. He also has been the most successful of the 3 building 2 different successful and winning teams as well as being one of 5 coaches to take two different NFL franchises to the Super Bowl.

Oldskool just comes in a slams down a varying counter-argument!

I wanted to look up both coaches to see who we should get to replace Jimmy. Here's what I found.

Record:

Gruden 95-81

Shanahan 138-90

Division Titles:

Gruden 5

Shanny 3

Playoff Appearances:

Gruden 5

Shanahan 7

Winning seasons

Gruden 6

Shanny 9

Losing seasons

Gruden 3

Shanny 3

It's a tough call, but I want Shanny. Here's why. Offense. I'm sick of this joke. The last 10 years have been a joke. I'd rather loose 36-35 then the way we play now.

Gruden. Of his winning season, only 4 were double digit. Meaning a bunch of 9-7. Shanny had 7 double digit winning seasons.

One of those division titles for Gruden was in a weak division. The winning record was 9-7. The Broncos won all their division titles with double digit win totals.

Shanny has a better post season record as well.

I'm not a stats only guy, but Tampa never had much offense and they looked better than they were due to a weak division.

My vote is for Shanny. And you?

Shanahan has coached more games than Gruden, and only has 3 more double digit winning seasons. It is ignorant to base your selection on that. Gruden has the ability to turn around programs i like him.

Although Shanahan had offensive scoring ability, he had no defense. He couldn't even bring in someone who would do anything with the defesive side of the ball.

My concern is I think Shanahan is a players coach like Norv, Spurrier, and Zorn. I'd rather see a coach who is not afraid to put a player in his place like Gibbs1, Schottenheimer and Gruden.

This team needs discipline. It's been club med for too long. Get rid of the primidana's and bring in hard working players.

Many are assuming that all of these coaches might actually want the job. That's a misguided assumption.

My guess in Shanahan goes to Dallas. As I recall, Cowboys always scrimmaged Broncos in Shanahan's days. Jones likes him, I bet. Dallas is closer to Denver.

Cowher is waiting for the Carolina job.

That leaves Gruden and Holmgren. I'm guessing we have a better shot at Holmgren, who might want Zorn to stay on. Zorn might even be willing to stay...he's that nice, and maybe even forgiving. Maybe that's why he not such a good head coach.

My guess is that Gruden thinks he has time to wait for the right job. Holmgren may not have that luxury, given his age.

I'm not a big Holmgren fan, but he might be our best option.

Many are assuming that all of these coaches might actually want the job. That's a misguided assumption.

My guess in Shanahan goes to Dallas. As I recall, Cowboys always scrimmaged Broncos in Shanahan's days. Jones likes him, I bet. Dallas is closer to Denver.

Cowher is waiting for the Carolina job.

That leaves Gruden and Holmgren. I'm guessing we have a better shot at Holmgren, who might want Zorn to stay on. Zorn might even be willing to stay...he's that nice, and maybe even forgiving. Maybe that's why he not such a good head coach.

My guess is that Gruden thinks he has time to wait for the right job. Holmgren may not have that luxury, given his age.

I'm not a big Holmgren fan, but he might be our best option.

I like Holmgren to, but I want a coach who REALLY wants to coach. I dont want us to get a coach who is going to be on retirement watch every season. I want a coach who is ready to run this squad for atleast another 7-8 years. One of the reason I like Gruden is because he is still young....

I like Holmgren to, but I want a coach who REALLY wants to coach. I dont want us to get a coach who is going to be on retirement watch every season. I want a coach who is ready to run this squad for atleast another 7-8 years. One of the reason I like Gruden is because he is still young....

Holmgren needed a break, and wasn't on 'retirement watch' year after year like he was the HC equivalent of Favre.

Gruden may be young but youth in and of itself doesn't do squat. He has so many negatives against him being a HC again anytime soon it's not worth bringing him in.

In theory I like Gruden. The other coaches are at the tail end of their careers, Gruden is almost 10 years younger than Zorn. He can do this job for more than 5 years, not sure its the same with Holmgren, and Shanny.

Not that motivational skills IMO is the be all and end all but this team at times seems to need someone like that and that's more Gruden's style than Shanny.

Zorn talks about liking to go home and not always obsess about football. Gruden is Gibbs like in his work ethic (according to a book I read) he's a 16 to 18 hr day workaholic.

Archived