Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets compare Gruden to Shanahan shall we?

F-16 CHIEF

Its ironic to me that Gruden seems to be a lead candidate for this job. Especially from watching the draft on NFL network and hearing his thoughts on the redskins team when they drafted Orakpo he sounded very enthusiastic about the skins. Heres the Link to the video.

It gets me excited for this guy posibbly being our coach.

Another reason I'm leaning more towards Shanny than Gruden is the things that Gruden has said this offseason. He's been studying the spread offense. Great he's being innovative, but his looking into the spread and wildcat combined with his west coast background scares me. It especially scares me because it means he's gonna take Tebow in the 1st or 2nd. I think if we get Gruden, we will have Collins, add another vet QB, Tebow and trade for Josh Johnson (playing ok, but TB just spent a 1st on Freeman).

Why would a spread offense with a little widcat mixed with a west coast style scare you ???

To me thats what this team needs, something different, something to score points. After watching Miami last night, and them using three different qbs in the final quarter, it made me realize just how vanilla our offense has become. no wonder other teams defenses have been able to figure out what plays we run.

Hell yea, bring in Gruden, someone with some innovative ideas.

And as for Tebow, I would trust Grudens football knowledge way more then anybody on this board, and if he thought that Tebow was going to be a franchise qb, then take him in the first round.

Let's throw in Holmgren as a comparison to these two..

Holmgren is the better coach of the 3 record wise. He also has been the most successful of the 3 building 2 different successful and winning teams as well as being one of 5 coaches to take two different NFL franchises to the Super Bowl.

The problem with Holmgren is he's 61 years old. It'll probably be another Gibbs II, where he's only around a short time and then having to find a new coach again.

I think either Gruden or Shanahan would right the ship here. I think the fact that those two, unlike some of the other big names that are available, never retired, but were forced out makes them more attractive candidatesbecause neither of them ever showed any hint of wanting out. With Cowher and Holmgren especially, it seems they'll always have one foot out the door. Once someone retires, they don't generally come back successfully.

Another thing I really think one thing that's being overlooked is Gruden's ability to be successful under Al Davis in Oakland. Right now, I think that is the single most important characteristic in his favor because it's the one thing that makes this job more difficult than any other in the league. If Gruden can come in here and as Jimmy Johnson said, take the decision-making away from Snyder but still make him feel like he's involved, that will be a huge win for the franchise.

I don't know that he'll necessarily be able to do that with Snyder but he's the only coach out there who has proven he can work with a meddling, irrational owner and be successful. Don't discount the importance of that.

I really do not want Gruden to become the coach. Look, he barely won more games than he lost. He only achieved success because the team he inherited was built really really well by Dungy. After that first season in TB, he didn't win a single playoff game. He made terrible personnel decisions and ran TB into the ground.

I'd rather have Shanny, but there's a difference anyway: he'll want full control. I don't sense that Gruden would (unless I missed something -- and I might have). As I've said before, if we fire Zorn, we have to bring in a new GM (Cerrato's fate has to be tied to Zorn) and if that new GM likes Gruden, fine.

In the 'Take it for what it is worth' department.

Per an interview with J Clayton on the Left Coast, none of the aforementioned would take a position because of the current ownership. Basically that DS was such an easy guy to dislike especially after he sued his own fans.

Not saying that I agree or disagree. That is just what was said. Maybe John has his own issues out there, I do not know but this is the kind of thing that we hear about well away from the DC area.

I don't think Clayton gets a lot of inside information right about the Skins.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/sources-gruden-atop-snyders-wish-list-284090.html

Sources close to Gruden say he's interested in the Redskins because of Snyder's free spending. Gruden felt undermined by Tampa Bay owners because they were $45 million under the salary cap in his final season. The NFL won't have a salary cap next year, leaving Snyder to spend freely for the free agents that Gruden prefers."

With the way these Republican Redskins beat up Campbell? Not gonna happen.Dungy would be called stupid , cannot coach , etc.Dungy built the Bucs from nothing.Gruden stepped in and he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.No way Dungy would want to work for such a bone-headed owner like Synder

That's about the dumbest thing that's been said on here.

Who cares what political affiliation people are? Dungy couldn't think for himself so he voted color instead. Who cares? He's not coaching the Redskins so forget about it.

Your blantant anti-white and anti-republican tirade shows what a child you are.

Yeah, we want Gruden because he's white. Clown.

I think Shanahan runs more of a finesse offense, and Gruden is more of a hit you in the mouth type coach, he's been part of much more physical teams than Shanny has.

So, depends which style you like, really.

Skins could use a little bit of both.

Why would a spread offense with a little widcat mixed with a west coast style scare you ???

To me thats what this team needs, something different, something to score points. After watching Miami last night, and them using three different qbs in the final quarter, it made me realize just how vanilla our offense has become. no wonder other teams defenses have been able to figure out what plays we run.

Hell yea, bring in Gruden, someone with some innovative ideas.

And as for Tebow, I would trust Grudens football knowledge way more then anybody on this board, and if he thought that Tebow was going to be a franchise qb, then take him in the first round.

This is a very good post. :applause::applause:

Fans are so used to mediocre around here, any change, large or small, scares the heck out of people.

This is exactly the type of imagination and innovation we need.

I really do not want Gruden to become the coach. Look, he barely won more games than he lost. He only achieved success because the team he inherited was built really really well by Dungy. After that first season in TB, he didn't win a single playoff game. He made terrible personnel decisions and ran TB into the ground.

God I don't know how many times I've seen anti-Gruden people use this argument. It's a well-known fact that TB had a weak front office and never spent money. What good draft picks had the Bucs had in the past few seasons? What big free agent signings have they had? Do you know how far under the cap the Bucs were after the SB?

Gruden had nothing to work with, and still managed to win three division titles with TB. Oh, and TB's GM was also fired. So who can you really blame it on?

With the way these Republican Redskins beat up Campbell? Not gonna happen.Dungy would be called stupid , cannot coach , etc.Dungy built the Bucs from nothing.Gruden stepped in and he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.No way Dungy would want to work for such a bone-headed owner like Synder

Dude, don't even go there. Your idiocy is remarkable.

The NFC South is a strong division. During his time the Falcons were strong with Michael Vick, The Panthers have been strong, and the Saints were good with Drew Brees. I know the Chiefs used to be one of the best teams in the NFL but they weren't for the last few years of Shanahan's career and Oakland was the worst franchise in the NFL for 6 of Shanahan's seasons. Also the Chargers were incredibly inept during the first half of Shanahan's career until they started to turn it around in 2004. I think the NFC South has been far more competitive top to bottom than the AFC West has this decade.

God I don't know how many times I've seen anti-Gruden people use this argument. It's a well-known fact that TB had a weak front office and never spent money. What good draft picks had the Bucs had in the past few seasons? What big free agent signings have they had? Do you know how far under the cap the Bucs were after the SB?

Gruden had nothing to work with, and still managed to win three division titles with TB. Oh, and TB's GM was also fired. So who can you really blame it on?

TB did have a weak front office, but that is the same story here in Washington except we spend money on players that usually don't play very well in there time here. My point was that Dungy built the team that Gruden was able to accomplish success with. Dungy would later go on a build another team, win a SB, and build that team in such a way that its still achieving success even though he is now gone.

Gruden hasn't WON a playoff game since his first season in TB. He only made the playoffs twice since that SB victory, and both times was bounced in the WILDCARD game.

The problem with Holmgren is he's 61 years old. It'll probably be another Gibbs II, where he's only around a short time and then having to find a new coach again.

Shanahan is 57 right now, so is Zorn. This makes them only 4 years older than Holmgren. This argument does not fly.

What needs to be done is you bring in Holmgren or Shanny, two guys that can build a modern (read, WCO) team, build on what Gibbs II accomplished and then when he's done coaching, move him up to the FO like Parcells in Miami. After that, have one of the assistant coaches (hopefully the OC) take over the team vis-a-vis what Dungy did with Caldwell.

Gruden may have the youth but there are serious issues with his style of coaching and management that would remind us all of the Ol'Ball Coach.

Shanahan is 57 right now, so is Zorn. This makes them only 4 years older than Holmgren. This argument does not fly.

Ok- I sure hope you meant it the other way around.........

It makes them 4 years younger then Holmgren :D

And gruden is 47 yrs old, that ten year younger then either Shanahan or Zorn.

What needs to be done is you bring in Holmgren or Shanny, two guys that can build a modern (read, WCO) team, build on what Gibbs II accomplished and then when he's done coaching, move him up to the FO like Parcells in Miami. After that, have one of the assistant coaches (hopefully the OC) take over the team vis-a-vis what Dungy did with Caldwell.

And in theory this idea is very good, but with the way coaches move to other teams, not likely.

I am guessing that the Giants thought Spags would eventually be HC.

Gruden may have the youth but there are serious issues with his style of coaching and management that would remind us all of the Ol'Ball Coach.

Now you are off on the deep end. Gruden puts in 20 hour days with the team, Spurrier wanted to go play golf. Be serious.

Gruden is now studying the spead formation offense, along with the wildcat. ( and he is not even coaching) Spurrier thought his best plays were, "you three guys go long and the qb will heave it to you.

Sorry, as much as I enjoy your posts, this one had to be written after way too many Coors lights. ;)

Archived