Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouring Practice Squads

method man

It annoys me to have old guys like Renaldo Wynn week after week on the inactives list. I'd rather have young guys who could potentially make an impact down the road on these lists. I've taken a look at some of the practice squads in the league right now and I feel there are guys out there who could help us.

Mitch King (DE) Titans- This guy is a big defensive end who could be Jarmon's backup in the future (Cut Wynn for this guy)

AJ Trapaso (P) Titans - With Hunter the Punter out with injury, we are going to need to bring in a punter for a week or two. This guy was decent in preseason

Andrew Crummey (G/C) Texans - This guy was in camp for us last year and actually made our practice squad before being claimed by the Bengals. Rabach is nearing the end and should be let go this offseason I don't think we can afford to spend a high pick on a center so we should analyze whether Crummey could contribute more to our team in the future than Edwin Williams or Will Montgomery

Mike Hart (RB) Colts - This guy was a beast in college and he is a guy who has been hindered by injuries here and there. If we are looking for a back of the future, I think we'd be better off with this guy than Marcus Mason

There are others out there as well.

I agree with you that a younger guy would be better than an inactive Wynn every week. I'm sure Danny Smith can bring in a solid punter for 1-2 weeks if Hunter Smith has to miss some time.

As to Crummey, he got waived for a reason from us. He didn't really show much. I'm more comfortable with Edwin Williams and Will Montgomery than Crummey.

We also have had quite a few RBs in to try to establish some young presence. Hart hasn't shown anything in the NFL. It's unlikely that'll change with coming to the Redskins. He's a guy that put up better numbers in the Big 10 than what he'd face with NFL competition. At 5-9, 200 lbs, he's small. Also, he doesn't have the explosiveness of other small backs like a Sproles. He ran a high 4.6 at the combine or his pro day I think. I'd rather see more of Mason as an all-around back, or Aldridge as the speedster.

I agree with you that a younger guy would be better than an inactive Wynn every week. I'm sure Danny Smith can bring in a solid punter for 1-2 weeks if Hunter Smith has to miss some time.

As to Crummey, he got waived for a reason from us. He didn't really show much. I'm more comfortable with Edwin Williams and Will Montgomery than Crummey.

We also have had quite a few RBs in to try to establish some young presence. Hart hasn't shown anything in the NFL. It's unlikely that'll change with coming to the Redskins. He's a guy that put up better numbers in the Big 10 than what he'd face with NFL competition. At 5-9, 200 lbs, he's small. Also, he doesn't have the explosiveness of other small backs like a Sproles. He ran a high 4.6 at the combine or his pro day I think. I'd rather see more of Mason as an all-around back, or Aldridge as the speedster.

Crummy was only "waived" so he could be placed on the practice squad, where he was picked up by the Bengals after a couple weeks. The coaches liked Gesienger better, who was let go after this year. Crummey would be a good lineman to develop.

Crummy was only "waived" so he could be placed on the practice squad, where he was picked up by the Bengals after a couple weeks. The coaches liked Gesienger better, who was let go after this year. Crummey would be a good lineman to develop.

Crummey was a beast in college. He had an injury and as a result his draft stock dropped. But, he is a talent.

Mike Hart (RB) Colts - This guy was a beast in college and he is a guy who has been hindered by injuries here and there. If we are looking for a back of the future, I think we'd be better off with this guy than Marcus Mason

Hart's on the Colts' active roster. He played today. Had a huge block on a return.

I like how you are thinking; it's never too early to look at guys for next year. I'd go right to the best teams in football and look at there practice squads because they would be the toughest rosters to make. I'd look at the Giants, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Colts, etc. and see who they have stashed away. Offensive linemen would be the top priority.

Well, for our team, it would make sense to promote Jackson to the active roster and cut Wynn so that he would have an opportunity to potentially play in some games.

Except that Jackson would be sitting inactive, just like Wynn is. It wouldn't be any different than his current status.

Personally, I find it amazing that when we DO have depth, people want to get rid of it to sign players who didn't make the active roster of their respective teams. People seem to view Wynn as a useless appendage when he's a solid veteran player who can step in if anyone gets hurt on the defensive line. To say that Jackson is an upgrade over Wynn is kinda silly when Jackson doesn't have near the NFL experience that Wynn has.

Archived