Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Zorn should try Marvin Lewis's "Team Concept" method

Durant35

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/03/marvin-lewis-orders-nameless-numberless-jerseys/

Marvin Lewis orders nameless, numberless jerseys

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 3, 2009 12:54 PM ET

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has been in Cincinnati long enough to know when his team might start feeling full of itself. This team has not often handled big wins well.

After a road win in Green Bay and a home win over the Steelers, Lewis didn't want the Bengals to lose sight of the team-first mantra he's been selling all offseaosn.

So he pulled into his bag of mental/motivational tricks and had the entire team practice in nameless, numberless jerseys all week. The team's equipment "had to work overtime" to special order the jerseys.

"It doesn't matter what your name and number is, it's football and focus on what your assignments are," Lewis said earlier in the week. "It's just where we are right now and what we have ahead of us. It's important as we go forward."

Whether ploys like this make a difference is debatable. But Lewis' message, that it's not just about Cincy's stars, is true.

Carson Palmer has not really played his best yet, and the team isn't stretching the field at all. Instead, the team has shown a knack for timely drives and constant defensive pressure.

Now the young Bengals team will have to show they can beat a Browns squad that most of Cleveland probably wishes would just turn in a;; their jerseys for the rest of the year.

Marvin Lewis was on the hot seat the past two years. Now he has his franchise QB healthy and the Bengals are winning games again. It's as simple as that sometimes.

I agree with you. The Redskins went into the season 100% healthy for the first time in a long time. Perhaps, we don't have a franchise Quarterback like the Bengals but we did go 6-2 to start last year becuase we were a football "team".

Snyder and Cerrato are not going anywhere any time soon so I feel like right now the best thing the Redskins need are some methods like this to bring them back to the cohesive unit they started as in 2008

Marvin Lewis was on the hot seat the past two years. Now he has his franchise QB healthy and the Bengals are winning games again. It's as simple as that sometimes.

Simple as that? If Palmer wasn't being battered and abused by defenses how did he get to be unhealthy in the first place?

Give me a break, Marvin Lewis has done a terrible job containing his players ego's.. Don't think we should take any notes from him.

Getting rid of TJ Housh is the best thing they ever did.

Why Housh?? I think Chad Johnson tends to be more of a distraction than Housh...

One of the things that I liked about Zorn before his first game was that rookies had to earn the emblems on their helmets. That was pretty cool and seemed to, at the time, show that respect from the new big cheese had to be earned by the players.

A year later he may not have learned that it goes both ways, but still, I thought that was a pretty good idea.

I love when coaches show their personalities through practice gimmicks. Remember what Gregg Williams's first play was in 11 on 11s? A suicide, eleven-man blitz. That gave him so much credibility with his players because it showed that he believed in how tough that they would be. Too bad Zorn didn't just line up five wide in the shotgun and have Rabach say, "I dare you to cover this!"

Housh and Chad have been teammates since college.

If you noticed during games they always sat together and kinda fed off of eachothers anger and disdain when things weren't going well... Chad was just the one to snap and be a prima donna.

Just one of those things where it's better that one or the other left, could have been either one.

I think I heard Housh making comments in Seattle now that he's open they just can't get him the ball.

Zorn's motivational speech: 'We're a good football team. In fact, we're the best team to have been beaten by Detroit this year!', or 'We're the best last placed team in our division!'.

Over the next three weeks, let's just hope we're not the best team to have been beaten by Tampa, Carolina or the Chiefs!

Antwan Odom has been a one man wrecking crew this season. 7 sacks in 3 games. If you've watched any of the Bengal games (which I have to being in Ohio) you would know that these numbers aren't fluky. He put on 20 lbs on muscle this off-season and it shows.

Serious explosiveness. Definitely been a key piece in the turnaround.

Is this when the coach acts really arrogant and always blames the players' execution?
I think Zorn is still too candid with the media -- but some players haven't been executing thier roles very well.

We've got players talking to the media, and they're throwing players and coaches under the bus. Unfortunately, when Snyder starting handing out "immunity" to some of his favorite players --that undermined Zorn's ability to rein this team in.

Zorn should be able to sit players down who aren't executing well. But you saw what happened with Portis? So, maybe Zorn's candor to the media is about all that is left for him to spur his players into action.

One thing I've noted is that this team doesn't seem to have a team leader among all the Skins players. Portis tends to set himself up as a "leader for the opposition" and that doesn't help. Campbell may be trying to fill that on the field leadership role, but I wonder how effective he actually is at that. I haven't seen him motivate the team much so far.

I like watching him. Have from the start and still do. I would have loved to have been paid to be coached by Zorn, man I'd have run through brick walls. You know with Zorn that if you put the effort in and get on a roll it's gonna be fun. Look at how many 4th and... we go for now (and we currently stink and Zorn is playing too conservatively).

I don't see everything but from what I do see I like him :whoknows:

Archived