Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Capitals 09-10 Offseason Thread (Thread Closed; mods please lock)

Sticksboi05

he made the team last year but was sent down (and lost on waivers) because of salary cap issues. I think this will be the season that makes or breaks his career.

Really? I know they hated to see him go, and I haven't seen enough of him in the minors to know for a fact he'll make it. Anything you can tell me/us about him that makes you believe this? Curiosity, not arguing.

Only stats I can pull quickly off of last season are from the Pens:

20 GP

0 G

3 A

3 Pts

-4 +/-

Granted, he's only 24, but I don't think he's shown half of what Perreault has shown. But, like I said, didn't really watch him at all last season.

Really? I know they hated to see him go, and I haven't seen enough of him in the minors to know for a fact he'll make it. Anything you can tell me/us about him that makes you believe this? Curiosity, not arguing.

I'm not predicting any sort of success, I just think he'll find his way on the 23 man roster like he did last year. What he does if he does make the team? I really don't know. He could be a bench warmer or he may be able to provide some spark on the 3rd or 4th line. I really don't have any inside knowledge on him, but I just have a hunch based on how I think the organization sees him and on his AHL Playoff MVP performance.

Perreault, I have been very impressed by from what I saw in his time with the big club.

I'm not predicting any sort of success, I just think he'll find his way on the 23 man roster like he did last year. What he does if he does make the team? I really don't know. He could be a bench warmer or he may be able to provide some spark on the 3rd or 4th line. I really don't have any inside knowledge on him, but I just have a hunch based on how I think the organization sees him and on his AHL Playoff MVP performance.

Perreault, I have been very impressed by from what I saw in his time with the big club.

Read up on him a little. Didn't realize he's only 5'7" (which means he's probably 5'6"). Any reason they can't sign him and put him back on Hershey? Don't see him making the big's roster, but I'm wrong more often than not. Forgot when he was drafted. I think 3 years in the big's is the limit without having to clear, but don't remember.

EDIT: 10 games? 30 days? Damn, the NHL doesn't keep it easy on figuring it out. Age drafted.....Bleh.

If Bourque makes this team it'd be pretty dumb, especially if he makes it over Andrew Gordon for some reason. For those that have watched Bourque in Hershey, it's pretty obvious that the guy doesn't have the chops to be a full time NHL player. The production is amazing, but if you actually look at how he does it, there's nothing there to suggest it will translate to the NHL game.

He's flat out better than other guys at the AHL level. His speed is elite at that level, it's average for the NHL. He basically skates around guys and wheels wherever he wants to in the offensive zone at will. Slow or otherwise inexperienced Defensemen have a really hard time doing anything about it. His size is not really an issue there because Defensemen aren't quick enough to put their hands on him; they most certainly are in the NHL.

His shot is good enough for the NHL, but he isn't able to get the space to get it off consistently in the NHL; it was apparent in his games with Pittsburgh. The style he plays in the AHL is akin to a ringer in a men's rec league. He does what he wants. That's impressive enough, but when he gets out there with guys that are much bigger than him, just as fast, and just as smart, he's neutralized. A perennial AHL all-star isn't a bad way to go through life, but that's probably as good as it's going to get for him.

Eric Fehr re-signed to a two-year deal averaging out to $2.2 million a year. That leaves us with $6.94 million to sign Fleischmann and bring up 3 depth players. Going with my previous assumptions, that Fehr deal was $300,000 less than the estimate, leading me to believe we may have about $2 million in cap space when we've got our 23 man roster.

In other news, Development camp is set to start on Sunday. We'll get our first looks at 2010 draft picks Evgeny Kuznetsov, Stanislav Galiev, Phillip Grubauer, Samuel Carrier, and Caleb Herbert.

Some other names to watch out for:

Marcus Johansson- there's been talks from the organization that he'll be competing for a job in Washington

Dmitri Orlov- He really impressed last year in camp and there's been speculation that he'll jump straight from the KHL to NHL this season.

Anton Gustaffson- He's a legacy.

Joe Finley- He a 6'7" 250 pound (see him listed as 6'8" some places now) defenseman. That alone makes him worth watching.

Braden Holtby- Impressive young goalie that completed a 38 save shut-out in only his second AHL game against the ever-hated Baby-Penguins.

Cody Eaken- Another talented young center said to be competing for a job in Washington.

There are a few more prospects out there that could open eyes, but I don't wanna list the entire Development camp roster.

No full-season plans :(

There ARE sports packs (half-Wiz, half-Caps), but the best games aren't available (Chicago/Philly/Pitt; Lakers/Celtics/LeBron's team) :kickcan:

There ARE partial plans, but I'll have to see if we can choose our own games for those...

My dad is set to referee the development camp scrimmage on Thursday, I believe. A couple years ago when officiating one of these, he had an unfortunate accident where a skate or two flew up and took a chunk of flesh out of his hand between his thumb and index finger.

There ARE partial plans, but I'll have to see if we can choose our own games for those...
Nope :(

Guess I'll have to :fingersx: with Craigslist/Stubhub again (though I did pretty well with that last season).

My dad is set to referee the development camp scrimmage on Thursday, I believe. A couple years ago when officiating one of these, he had an unfortunate accident where a skate or two flew up and took a chunk of flesh out of his hand between his thumb and index finger.

Holy S that had to hurt like a M'fer.

Nope :(

Guess I'll have to :fingersx: with Craigslist/Stubhub again (though I did pretty well with that last season).

Check out my thread in the Caps forum. In case you haven't heard, if you don't get your season tix this season (e.g. some open up inexplicably), you lose your place in line for next season. There's no continuation of the waitlist from this season to next. How stupid is that? Highly recommend you call your ticket agent and file a complaint. I've already done it with mine.

Check out my thread in the Caps forum. In case you haven't heard, if you don't get your season tix this season (e.g. some open up inexplicably), you lose your place in line for next season. There's no continuation of the waitlist from this season to next. How stupid is that? Highly recommend you call your ticket agent and file a complaint. I've already done it with mine.
?

I talked to my guy this morning. He said that you can roll your deposit over enxt season, and first come first serve.

Let me know what your guy says; if what you said's correct, I'll just get my $500 back.

?

I talked to my guy this morning. He said that you can roll your deposit over enxt season, and first come first serve.

Let me know what your guy says; if what you said's correct, I'll just get my $500 back.

Here's his response when I asked about it:

"We can certainly keep the money on your account for next year. The only issue is it would need to be re-applied to a deposit for 2011-12 season tickets. I see no reason we shouldn’t be able to apply it the first possible day in March of 2011.

With the wait list, we never established a number associated with your spot on the list it was all based on the date you placed the deposit.

Once you know what it is you would like to do, please let me know. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to give me a call."

To me, this means there's no difference between leaving my money with them for a year (and getting nothing out of it) and just taking my money back and ensuring I put down a deposit at the first opportunity next year. Pretty stupid, huh? Let me know what your agent says about this.

Here's his response when I asked about it:

"We can certainly keep the money on your account for next year. The only issue is it would need to be re-applied to a deposit for 2011-12 season tickets. I see no reason we shouldn’t be able to apply it the first possible day in March of 2011.

With the wait list, we never established a number associated with your spot on the list it was all based on the date you placed the deposit.

Once you know what it is you would like to do, please let me know. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to give me a call."

To me, this means there's no difference between leaving my money with them for a year (and getting nothing out of it) and just taking my money back and ensuring I put down a deposit at the first opportunity next year. Pretty stupid, huh? Let me know what your agent says about this.

My guy said pretty much the same thing. :censored:

A few things of note.

Capitals signed vet (and former Cap) Brian Willsie. He'll likely be playing in Hershey.

First scrimmage of camp took place today. Wasn't there, but heard some interesting things. Big Joe Finley, who I earlier thought was 6'7 ~250 has actually gotten bigger since we last saw him and is now 6'8" 262. He took out two forwards behind the net at one time, and he gave Zach Miskovic a bit of a knee sprain (Zach tried to avoid the hit making it a knee on knee) which lead to Joe having to drop the gloves:

82UG4TFLa0o

I'll probably be going to the scrimmage tomorrow (the one my dad's officiating) so I can get a first-hand look at these guys.

Just got back from the scrimmage.

Joe Finley is huge. I mean god damn, he's so big. As a result, I didn't really notice his defensive partner, Dmitri Orlov, 'cause my attention was always drawn to him when he was on the ice. He looked pretty good out there, although he did blow a defensive assignment leaving Marcus Johannson open on the back door to score a goal. He skates pretty well for someone his size.

Another really big guy on the ice is Jake Hauswirth (6'5" 210) and he was not afraid to throw around his body. I liked what I saw from him getting physical and scored a couple goals (although one of them was practically an empty netter as Braden Holtby went out to play the puck before the offense got there, but in doing so, the puck found its way to Jake's stick with no goalie in the net). He could very well be in Hershey next year.

Sticking with big guys, there's another big defenseman in Dustin Stevenson. I wasn't on his defensive side for two periods, so I didn't see much of him, but he's got a bit of a nasty side. Kuznetsov was attacking him on a forecheck (a bit late if you ask me) and Stevenson gave him a little shot to the face. Not sure if it was intentional; could've just been getting his hands up to make contact.

At one point, I saw Johannson hit with a hip-check or something. I'm really not sure what exactly happened, but the end result was that he slowly flipped over the other guy and landed on his face. :ols: He also got clipped with a high stick in the 3rd period (right on the glass directly in front of me). He didn't look too hurt by it. Dropped his stick in surprise, but his face looked fine from up close. He got right back into the play

I took notice of Cody Eakin, a kid who's likely stuck in the juniors this upcoming season because he's not NHL ready, and too young to play in the minors. He's not very big (Matthieu Perreault deux?) but he's got some moves, good vision, speed, and hockey smarts. He was knocked down charging the net, and rather than get up immediately, he looked around for the puck, and saw his teammate ready to fire the puck so from his back he got his stick in there to tip the puck in for a goal.

Anton Gustafsson looked decent out there. Had some nifty moves with the puck and some nice passes. I was disappointed when I saw him pull up instead of going for the body on a guy along the boards. Its possible he didn't want to hurt the guy, though, as he was stationary, had his head down, and really had nowhere to go.

1st round pick Evgeny Kuznetsov looked really good. He lead a lot of offensive rushes and had a bit of a jump in his step and mixed in some nice dangles and passes.

3rd round pick Stanislav Galiev also had a few good plays, scoring a goal in regulation and in the shootout.

4th round pick Phillip Grubauer showed some talent. A couple pucks got under him, but he showed some good movement, a nice glove hand, and some good flexibility. It should be interesting to see what comes of him. He made a really nice stop on a Stanislav Galiev breakaway where he went almost into full-splits and sat on the puck.

6th round pick defenseman Samuel Carrier I hadn't noticed much in the defensive zone (he was only on my side in the 2nd period) but I had noticed that he's got some good offensive presence from the point. Some good passing, stick-handling, and a pretty good shot.

I noticed an undrafted invitee Andy Miele had some pretty good hands and he moved the puck pretty well a few times.

Anthony Pisano is another huge player (he's the dude that fought Finley yesterday) and he's a rough customer.

well, that's about all I can think of right now. I may be posting pictures later.

Archived