Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Maese via Twitter: Portis Questionable for Sunday?!

MattFancy

Even if you incorrectly believe that Portis, with his 68 yards a game cannot possibly be replaced, let's be realistic.

Portis 68 yards a game when healthy. Against teams like the Rams, 49ers and Bengals to name a few.

Now he has bad ankles.

This isn't even a question. This is a huge opportunity for our franchise.

1. Thank God we kept Betts. I saw a lot of ridiculous posts suggesting that he be traded. Now, with Portis down, who would have stepped in?:doh:

2. Start Betts. Don't even think about anything but that. Mason/Alridge as third down backs.

Rack up the points, and get ready to watch our best offensive performance in the last year.

And let Portis get healthy. No reason to play him this week.

I don't believe a RB should be blocking more than the absolute miminum necessary. Much better to have them go out for a pass.

Was Barry Sanders a good blocker?

How about AD in Minnesota? Would you want him blocking?

Sproles? How good can he block?

Exactly. It doesn't matter.

Linemen block. Star RBs score.

payton1.jpg

That man disagree's with you

I think he'll probably play but obviously I don't have any inside information the rest of you don't. I think teams are going to be more careful with the injury reports to prevent any Brett-Favre-esque fines. As has been said already in this thread, Portis has played with worse. If we do decide to sit him I'm not panicked because I think the combination of Betts/Mason/Alridge will give us a solid run game especially against Detroit. If we want to give Clinton an early bye week to keep him fresh this is the week to do it. I would much rather have him get healthy now than let him break down like we did last season. We need Portis in December much more than we need him this week in Detroit.

LOL.

Portis hasn't broken 100 yards in his last 8 games.

Through that stretch, he has averaged roughly 68 yards a game.

Even Rock Cartwright could do that.

And against Detroit, we shouldn't be missing any blocking from Portis.

Start Betts, and make Mason/Alridge the 3rd down back.

Watch Betts go for 150 yards and three touchdowns.

Monday, come back onto the site, and tell everyone Betts went for 150 and 3 because Detroit sucks.

And then quietly hope that Portis needs another week to get over the injury.:)

Get back to me when the OL improves their run blocking, which has been an issue over that time period. I also don't think it is going to be easy to run against Detroit because they actually have decent DTs.

Betts might have a decent receiving day, but I don't expect much from him on the ground.

Get back to me when the OL improves their run blocking, which has been an issue over that time period. I also don't think it is going to be easy to run against Detroit because they actually have decent DTs.

Betts might have a decent receiving day, but I don't expect much from him on the ground.

And what if.....by crazy chance Betts puts up 150 and 3?

What will be the excuse?

Are we going to hear that it was because our line, without Randy Thomas, was much improved?

Hope they rest Portis....and get ready for insane offense this week.

What will be the excuse?

Are we going to hear that it was because our line, without Randy Thomas, was much improved?

In Ladell Betts' best season he totalled 5 total touchdowns, and you're talking about him putting up three this week? Look I hope Betts scores 100 touchdowns this weekend. Zorn has already stated he expects Clinton to play so I severely doubt Betts will overcome both his backup status and allergies to the endzone this week.

1. Thank God we kept Betts. I saw a lot of ridiculous posts suggesting that he be traded. Now, with Portis down, who would have stepped in?:doh:

2. Start Betts. Don't even think about anything but that. Mason/Alridge as third down backs.

Rack up the points, and get ready to watch our best offensive performance in the last year.

I absolutely agree that Betts should be the starter if Portis is out. Betts has a nice burst, good power, and decent speed for a power back. However, you are kidding yourself if you think our offense will improve by leaps and bounds if Betts is in on Sunday. Perhaps they will perform better, but it won't be because Betts will have replaced Portis. Betts was far from a TD machine in 2006 and our offense wasn't lighting up scoreboards during that period either. Moreover, he has ball-security issues (see, e.g., the Rams game in which he fumbled the ball, and the game, away after getting caught from behind by Otogwe).

I absolutely agree that Betts should be the starter if Portis is out. Betts has a nice burst, good power, and decent speed for a power back. However, you are kidding yourself if you think our offense will improve by leaps and bounds if Betts is in on Sunday. Perhaps they will perform better, but it won't be because Betts will have replaced Portis. Betts was far from a TD machine in 2006 and our offense wasn't lighting up scoreboards during that period either. Moreover, he has ball-security issues (see, e.g., the Rams game in which he fumbled the ball, and the game, away after getting caught from behind by Otogwe).

Get your popcorn ready.

It has been so long, I am not sure what offense looks like anymore.

In Ladell Betts' best season he totalled 5 total touchdowns, and you're talking about him putting up three this week? Look I hope Betts scores 100 touchdowns this weekend. Zorn has already stated he expects Clinton to play so I severely doubt Betts will overcome both his backup status and allergies to the endzone this week.

those 5 TD's were in only 9 starts that season. he also had 1100+ yards. the TD's aren't impressive, but he had a good year, especially since he was filling in for a seriously injured portis.

i'm not gun-ho on betts being a great back, but give the man his credit, he stepped in quite nicely that year.

What will be the excuse?

Moot point, because it does sound like they are planning on Portis to play. Even if he wasn't, I would expect a lot of carries for Mason and/or Alridge.

Perhaps Clinton is using his spare time away from practice to audition for ESPN.

Hey! If he can't go ... No big deal. We have done well without him. Ladell, Mason, and Alrdige can handle the load without any significant drop off.

that dude is overrated...has been for a few years now. So there is no significant loss if he doesn't play
I'm afraid you're going to eat those words if Portis doesn't play this weekend.

Let's hope Betts or Mason can step up if it happens!

On another note. I can't believe Portis is suffering injuries already this season. The expiration date on RBs is shorter than other positions. :(

Archived