Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Portis – it’s not like Madden out there

JimmiJo

Ofcourse its not like Madden dummy! Runs only to the left side of the the field , 2 runs in a row and a HB pass in the redzone would work in Madden. Maybe Zorn thinks he IS holding a damn controller.

Check out the NFL sights-and-sounds video for some insight on this question. It is better than speculating.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d812dca56/Sound-FX-A-QBs-tutelage

I'd like to accept Mr Portis offer and will attempt to execute those plays this weekend against Detroit. Of course, I'll expect his salary for this week.

If I mess up, and lets face it, an overweight 38 year old English dude is bound to mess up, I will not tweet, blog or cry about the boos. You can bring the boos on as I fly 1st class back to Blighty with that fat paycheck.

Watching Zorn on that NFL clip has given me a better insight and I don't feel quite so bad about some of the decisions he made Sunday.

:doh:

Please stop drinking. Now. The team we deserve? We are fans of a distinguished professional football team which spends an ungodly amount of money for allegedly talented players and coaches. We are fans who support this operation. We are fans who see a problem and WANT THE TEAM TO DO BETTER. We want the Redskins to beat up on the Lions. That is known as rooting for the team! Get it? We want them to do well. Very well. That's what fans do: root root root for the home team.

Now what in the hell are you talking about, "what we deserve." Complaining about how many people are discussing a topic on a DISCUSSION BOARD? We are discussing the teams performance. What would you rather we do? Talk about what shade of green their turf is this year?

Okay right ... these are the same fans that booed a team after a win . The players already know they must do better they are after all professional . I think people loose sight of the things these players put themselves through to get to this level - the sacrifice the commitment the discipline all of that for the sake of your entertainment . People go on and on about how these players are lucky to be in their situation . Night after night after early morning in the gym, on the practice field studying film working to get better and better forgoeing normal relationships and kicking back ...isn't luck . You look at London Fletcher 10 years in the league and one of the best in the league ... what physical attributes does he have that 100's of others of other people don't yet though his hard work he has stayed at that level of perfomance . Don't ***** and whine about players getting $$$$ that is something out of their control 90% of the players play for the love of the game . It just so happens millions upon millions of people want to watch them all over the world and that brings in revenue and quite rightly they get their share . I think the redskins fans are becoming more and more embaressing every day . How does booing a team after a win help ... how is that constructive . how is 50% of the stuff posted on this message board constructive ...its not a "discussion" . The team doesn't go out to suck ... they didn't suck last week they were 1 of 16 teams that sucked less than the other 16 teams . Seriously some of you all need to chill and get thicker skins .

We have no idea what is going on except what we see on gamedays..

Which is the Offense resembling a big, hairy, steamy pile of dog****.

He can talk all he wants, bring up stats, yardage and etcetera, but the bottom line is they don't score and this Defense is good, but not the '85 Bears or '00 Ravens. They can't be expected to bail out the Offense every week.

You look at London Fletcher 10 years in the league and one of the best in the league ... what physical attributes does he have that 100's of others of other people don't yet though his hard work he has stayed at that level of perfomance .

This was the only part worth quoting.

The thing is, if we had 53 London Fletchers, we'd never be beat. But we don't. We have Santana Moss having to be shown on the sideline by Zorn that he does in fact have plays coming for Moss so he'll stop pouting. We have Sellers droping easy catches, but then you wonder why is he running that route, etc.. A lot of these guys if they played for the love of the game as you say they wouldn't be playing here for the highest bidder.

OK fans - are you a professional? I don't mean lawyer/doctor/etc, I mean are you professional about your work? Do you "bring it" every day, every action, all year long? Are you reading this at work? Maybe you are not getting millions, but that really isn't the point is it? Someone is paying you to be professional.

Have you ever had one of your customers/bosses/random idiot "boo" you when you are busting your butt and getting the job done? "You can dig that hole faster." "You can teach those children better." etc.

Now, add an idiot with a microphone (and an agenda to get reaction from you) asking you what you think/feel?

Do you think something you say would provoke someone to call you a "crybaby"?

Give it a break people. Although I do like the irony of people whining and crying about whiners and crybabies.

:helmet: The Rook

exactly, all the players that want to speak or cry about how hard it is to be them.. blah blah..

try living off a "normal" salary... Instead of being the underachiever crying..

They're all ****y and top of their game when they are negotiating... Or demanding higher salaries... Then when they don't live up to it, whine whine whine...

is your argument their performance or the money they make compared to you......

Portis is one of the real problems on this team. he is old for a rRB he can;t make anyone miss and he looks slow and fat now.

Need totrade him. Moss, Campbell, and probaly Cooley he is slow and his stats are inflated because cAMPBELL ONLY SEES HIM, dAVIS IS ALOT FASTER

Liked the other Portis quote. This one is foolish.

Truth is, we all know what it's like to play football. We've all executed a play. We've all gotten smacked and had our bell rung, made winning catches and dropped sure things. Now, almost none of us have done at the level or pay that he has, but all of us whether in the backyard or high school or during gym class has played football.

He knows it better. He knows it at that level much more intimately. Those of us who have played and watched it for years are not ignornant. We get it. We know it's hard. If it was easy there wouldn't be a market to pay you millions to do it, but we have executed, we have run, hit, caught, kicked, tackled, been hurt, and continued.

So, we understand. That's one of the largest reasons why we both cheer and boo. Because we are a part of the game.

ya, you're part of the game, but he's right. i know you say you do understand since we've all played, and that it's a given he's at a higher level for a reason. but nfl football is a lot more complicated than backyard or high school football. he knows what he's talking about. of course we all understand football but we don't know the ins and outs to absolutely everything. he should've said the players should try coaching, not playing.

This is exactly what's wrong with this team. It's kind of like mouthing off at your parents; no respect and no discipline. This ain't the U. You are supposed to be a professional. I hope you invested your money wisely all these years. You won't make it a day out in the real working world. For now though, how about apologizing for your team's lackluster performance and promise you will work harder next game. Suck it up and show that you are the man, or a man.

Portis is one of the real problems on this team. he is old for a rRB he can;t make anyone miss and he looks slow and fat now.

Need totrade him. Moss, Campbell, and probaly Cooley he is slow and his stats are inflated because cAMPBELL ONLY SEES HIM, dAVIS IS ALOT FASTER

Lol, is this a joke? You think we're bad now?? Let's get rid of our 3 best offensive players, that'll work!

typical ignorant babble, absolutely clueless on what the point of the situation is...

I haven't read a single post on this site where a poster said they could execute our offense better than the current squad... I have read many post comparing our offense to other teams that can execute and wondering why we have not been able to duplicate or resemble their success with our current scheme, coaches, and players...

Definitely not like Madden..

I bust out 90yd runs and score 2 rushing touchdowns a game...

that never happens in real games..................lol.

portis needs to watch espn more and see what some of these other teams are actually doing on a week to week basis, and how normal scoring 20+ points is against any team.

i dont think expecting even average NFL offensive production is anywhere along the lines of expecting to see madden football out there.

20 teams last week scored 20 points or more.

exactly, all the players that want to speak or cry about how hard it is to be them.. blah blah..

try living off a "normal" salary... Instead of being the underachiever crying..

They're all ****y and top of their game when they are negotiating... Or demanding higher salaries... Then when they don't live up to it, whine whine whine...

Your calling Portis an underachiever. All I can do is laugh. Learn the game.

Your calling Portis an underachiever. All I can do is laugh. Learn the game.

while portis is far from an underachiever, he does need to shut up unless hes going to say something constructive. making excuses and claiming "its not madden" is pretty stupid. the majority of NFL teams have no problem scoring points, he should be able to recognize this and realize fans want to see points and wins.

it might have been the same interview but he also said something along the lines of he doesnt blame people for not wanting to watch because the offense is so lame.

hes obviously upset and the media is in his face so i can understand the frustration, but he'd be better off not saying dumb things from time to time. i love clinton being clinton (huntin.....is legul!) but making excuses is not usually something hes known for.

ya, you're part of the game, but he's right. i know you say you do understand since we've all played, and that it's a given he's at a higher level for a reason. but nfl football is a lot more complicated than backyard or high school football.

So when we had 4th and 1 at the Rams 3 or 4, just wanting to burn the clock down and Sellers and the OL made a hole big enough for him to get the first, but he broke outside into 3-5 defenders, he knew that was the correct decision to make?

:chair::chair::chair:

I guess if we were Pro's making the big bucks, not caring about a team win but just getting a TD for our own personal stats, we'd do the same thing.

Is that what you are saying?

Okay right ... these are the same fans that booed a team after a win . The players already know they must do better they are after all professional . I think people loose sight of the things these players put themselves through to get to this level - the sacrifice the commitment the discipline all of that for the sake of your entertainment . People go on and on about how these players are lucky to be in their situation . Night after night after early morning in the gym, on the practice field studying film working to get better and better forgoeing normal relationships and kicking back ...isn't luck . You look at London Fletcher 10 years in the league and one of the best in the league ... what physical attributes does he have that 100's of others of other people don't yet though his hard work he has stayed at that level of perfomance . Don't ***** and whine about players getting $$$$ that is something out of their control 90% of the players play for the love of the game . It just so happens millions upon millions of people want to watch them all over the world and that brings in revenue and quite rightly they get their share . I think the redskins fans are becoming more and more embaressing every day . How does booing a team after a win help ... how is that constructive . how is 50% of the stuff posted on this message board constructive ...its not a "discussion" . The team doesn't go out to suck ... they didn't suck last week they were 1 of 16 teams that sucked less than the other 16 teams . Seriously some of you all need to chill and get thicker skins .

LMFAO!!!!! What the players put themselves through? Please dude. They get paid huge money, and I will ***** and whine cause its relevant, to go to the Gym work out, play a game and pretty much get a free pass on almost everything. Oh man that is a horrible life. They chose this profession. Your age is not posted but I am going to assume that you are old enough to work. Please tell me, do you need to be patted on the back when you do a good job at work? Do you not expect to be critcized if you F up? No matter what this is still a job for these players and they shouldnt for a second think or be told different. The work ethic should translate into production on the field. So how well do you think their work ethic is? The fans, however, are not paid to cheer this team on. They pay to do it, and whether you like it or not it is their right to boo the crap out of this team whenever they want. Even the idiots who are up there making all sorts of noise when the offense is on the field have a right to do that. I think in your babbling you lose focus on the fact that these guys are highly compensated for the work they do (dont do). These arent people out their breaking their backs for nothing. Teachers, Cops, and other professions which require a lot of off duty time to be successful at making a difference in the community are the ones who are undercompensated, not NFL players.:) They are there for entertainment and entertainers make a lot of money.

And CP is right, its not Madden. But at the same time JZ is paid good money to develop a game plan that is effective. Something he has not done a very good job at on a consistent enough basis.

Archived