Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts from Ramsfan09

ramsfan09

Well the game was what I expected and what I said on this board prior to the game: I didn't expect to win it but it was certainly a winnable game. The Rams threw the game away at the end with the Avery fumble, if we have that first down on the 3 yard line we most likely score with Jackson and win the game.

Dumb mistakes led to our loss. I think that both defenses played very well. But, the Rams turned the ball over and had 7 dropped balls and the Redskins drove the ball fine, but the Rams red zone defense shut them down. Different problems but the same results: not many points were scored.

For all the controvery between Brown/Haynesworth I think they handled Hanyesworth very well on the pass but not so much on the run. It wasn't until late in the second when Steven started getting ANY yardage, although by the end of the game he had a good day.

Like I said here last week, I was surprised by how many breaks Haynesworth got and how little Portis was used. Portis was getting big yardage every down so I was surprised when they didn't use him more. The Rams DL was awful and gave Campbell all day to throw, in that light I was glad by how our secondary performed. Campbell rarely found anyone down field even with excessive time to throw the ball and got the football to Cooley. The Rams seemed to limit the passes to Cooley with some half time adjustments (our LBers did a poor job covering him) and we limited the Skins offense a lot more.

Overall I thought the Skins DL line did a very good job in pass rushing. Bulger took a beating, after one hit I thought Bulger was going to be taken out but he limped back to the huddle anyway. For my sake, I hope the Redskins DL is really that good and that our OL just isn't as bad. WIth the awful drops and fumble by Avery/McMicheal I think that our passing game was OK overall. Hall doesn't impress me at all as a cornerback. Our WR Laurent Robinson seems to be a steal ofa trade with the Falcons this off season, but Hall getting schooled by a guy without any NFL time really would be concerning to me if I was a Redskins fan.

Positives

Rams: Secondary, Jackson, Robinson, Bulger

Redskins: Portis, Cooley, DL, OL

Negatives

Rams: OL, DL (in the pass rush, stopping the run wasn't that bad against a good back), Avery, McMicheal

Redskins: Secondary, receivers (beyond the one great catch by El) and quarterback (decent game statistically, but with zero pressure from the Rams DL is was a disappointing performance overall).

Dumb mistakes led to our loss. I think that both defenses played very well. But, the Rams turned the ball over and had 7 dropped balls and the Redskins drove the ball fine, but the Rams red zone defense shut them down.

For all the controvery between Brown/Haynesworth I think they handled Hanyesworth very well on the pass but not so much on the run. It wasn't until late in the second when Steven started getting ANY yardage, although by the end of the game he had a good day.

Like I said here last week, I was surprised by how many breaks Haynesworth got and how little Portis was used. Portis was getting big yardage every down so I was surprised when they didn't use him more.

Positives

Rams: Secondary, Jackson, Robinson, Bulger

Redskins: Portis, Cooley, DL, OL

Negatives

Rams: OL, DL (in the pass rush, stopping the run wasn't that bad against a good back), Avery, McMicheal

Redskins: Secondary, receivers (beyond the one great catch by El) and quarterback (decent game statistically, but with zero pressure from the Rams DL is was a disappointing performance overall).

You say dumb mistakes led to the Rams loss, but dumb mistakes by the Skins allowed the Rams to stay in the game. If Thomas and Sellers catch those 2 passes in the end zone, then the Skins are up 14-0 and the Rams are deflated, and the game is basically over; however, the Skins allowed the Rams to stay in the game by committing dumb mistakes.

Also, you say Campbell performed poorly? Yes, Campbell had time in the pocket, but he drove the team down the field and into the red zone 3 times, and was on his way for a 4th drive into the red zone until Moss fumbled the ball at the end of the first half.

I agree that Portis wasn't used enough, but I think Zorn is afraid of Portis breaking down later in the season and is trying to keep him healthy, but there's a huge difference between Portis rushing the ball and the Betts and Mason rushing the ball. I think Zorn may be getting too fancy here, and it may bite him in the ass in a game later in the season, I hope I'm wrong. The Skins need a young change of pace back now, but us fans will be lucky if the Skins find one next offseason.

you mention the Avery turnover but you don't mention the Santana Moss fumble that negated a score on our end... or the gift roughing call you got to negate the turnover in the first quarter. Not to even mention the two dropped TD's.

The game wasn't as close as you describe. I'm not saying that as a fan, I'm just saying it as an observer.

Now that said, I think the Rams have a few pieces to build around and they could probably surprise a few people if they get it together a bit. They obviously believe in their coach and I think they're on a better path than the skins are right now. So as a Rams fan you should be excited about that. Good game

Actually, the Skins o-line did a fairly decent job blocking yesterday. I would have expected a lot of exotic blitzes from Spags seeing as how he knows us so well. Anyway, your d-line did come with some pressure so I wouldn't say JC had all day. He seemed to get rid of the ball quicker this week or run his way out.

I expect to see your D make huge strides this year under the little guy and you already have a good RB and QB. Good luck with the rest of the season and beat the crap out of the rest of the NFCE.

Ramsfan, thanks for the perspective. It's nice to hear something from someone who is not part of our QB controversy, with no axe to grind. Good luck with the rest of your season, especially if you play the Cow patties.

I do think the non-call in the endzone because the ball was "uncatchable" should have been defensive holding or, at least, assault.

Archived