Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As bad as I feel today...is it accurate to say the real test is next week?

NoCalMike

I admit it, I feel downright awful right now. In the dumps. The Giants seem to control the game the majority of the time. The final score, although close, didn't seem to reflect the reality of the game.

However, as much as I feel bad right now, I must also remind myself that this is about exactly how we all felt last season at this time, and then we ended up at 6-2.

Lets not kid ourselves, the Giants are not a mid-level team, they are currently one of the NFL's elite teams. To me today proved that in Week 1 of the 2009 season we are not ready to defeat the the elite teams of the NFL, but at the same time that doesn't mean our team is necessarily horrible.

Is the true test next week when we play the St. Louis Rams at home? They are currently losing to the Rams 28-0. They are not even what you would call a medicore team. What does that mean to the Redskins?

To me the real test is how we react. Will our team take out it's aggression on a poor.....very poor team or will they struggle to a field goal contest with the Rams?

Week 2 is huge.

Is the true test next week when we play the St. Louis Rams at home? They are currently losing to the Rams 28-0.

There they go, beating themselves again. ;)

But yes, I agree with your post. We lost to the Rams last year in a game we had no business losing. If we come out and light the Rams up like a Christmas tree, I'll feel somewhat confident that we've made some progress since last year.

But if we let them hang around and the outcome is still up in the air by the start of the 4th quarter, I'll be VERY concerned about 2009. We need to beat the Rams with ease to show we're not the Skins of '08.

:hysterical: Next week?

Next week means nothing. Nothing at all.

The Rams aren't going to the playoffs or Superbowl.

You want to know if we are a real team.

You aren't going to find out anything against the Rams.

We won't know a thing about our team until game 12 or so. Then we will know how many offensive linemen are left.

No the real test is against decent competition not crap teams. Beating the Rams in week 2 won't prove a thing. 0-8 the last 2 years against teams who win 10 or more games. That stat likely moved to 0-9 after today.

On a positive note we averaged 7.5 points a game in that category last year. 17 points is less worthless than last year. Hooray! Story of the 2009 Redskins offense: We are slightly less worthless. Woo-hoo!

:hysterical: Next week?

Next week means nothing. Nothing at all.

The Rams aren't going to the playoffs or Superbowl.

You want to know if we are a real team.

You aren't going to find out anything against the Rams.

QFT.

I love how some fans totally blow off our performance against a legit contender and proclaim next week's game against a rebuilding program is the "real" test.

High comedy!! :laugh:

I agree that next week is the test. Redskins lost today because of a lot of bad mistakes and bad decisions that piled on over the course of the game to create the loss. They have the talent and ability to win and I'm confident they are better than this.

That said, they're only as good as their record shows. If they can't fix their mistakes for next week and the weeks after... then they fail. We'll see if they can make the necessary adjustments.

Of course it'll be a test. Am I the only one who remembers that we lost to the Rams last year?

Yes. We sure did.

Anybody remember the run up to that game last year, here on this board??

The Rams suck, easy win.

With the roll we're on, the Rams are an easy kill.

Cooley and Portis filming a video where they're "Ram hunting".

Test my ass. Today was THE test.

We failed.

I agree that to become an "elite" team, we need to beat other elite, teams, but before we become an elite team, we need to be able to handl the teams like the Rams, Bucs, Raiders etc etc etc.....

Even "above average" teams are beating those medicore teams, why should we be any different, if we think we are good?

NoCal, its just not beating the elite teams, but showing that you at least belong on the same field as them.

I could've been comfortable with a loss today if we had gone toe to toe with the Giants and they made some plays down the stretch to beat us.

But do you think they seriously felt threatened at all by us today?

We failed.

Every game is a test. As far as I'm concerned, the story of our '08 season was our inability to take seriously our inferior opponents, and it cost us a playoff berth. We're about to find out if we still have that problem.

I can't say this game will be any more of a test than any other game, but it'll be a test for sure.

Every game is a test. As far as I'm concerned, the story of our '08 season was our inability to take seriously our inferior opponents, and it cost us a playoff berth. We're about to find out if we still have that problem.

I can't say this game will be any more of a test than any other game, but it'll be a test for sure.

Exactly. This is my point pretty much. This is a week 1 loss to an upper-echalon team. It hurts, I will be feeling down until next sunday.

However, the bottomline is division games only make up SIX games of our entire schedule. If we can split against our division like we did last seaon, then making or not making the playoffs will come down to games like next week vs. the Rams, and tampa bay, oakland, etc etc etc.

Last season we were good enough against our division to be a playoff team. 3-3 against the NFC East is nothing to be mad or sad about, however what our team failed to do was beat those sub-.500 teams like the Rams, Bengals, & 49ers. If the Redskins handle those medicore teams, that is three more wins.....11-5 and a playoff berth.

Let me re-iterate. Losing always sucks, but losing to a team like the Giants should not be considered as bad as losing to teams like the Rams.

If we think our team is every going to be in contention, we should HANDLE the Rams next week AT HOME, no problem.

yes next week is the real test to see on what side of mediocrity this team is on, either a 8 win team or a 4 win team.

We need tocrush the Rams next week, but it wont be easy, Spag knows how best to shut down the predictable offence of the Skins better than anyone. My prediction is Skins 13, Rams 10, and that will signal the beginning of the end to the 09 season. I could see this team not being able to put up enough points to beat the Lions, better hope Stafford throws a pick 6, or fumbles deep in Lions territory if they hope to win.

Well yeah, if you don't beat some of these bottom-feeders on the early part of our schedule, you'll have no shot.

But ultimately its going to come down to those games at FedEx in late December against the Giants and Cowboys.

Still can't believe we followed up that Steelers game last season by laying an egg against Dallas.

Yes. We sure did.

The Rams suck, easy win.

We failed.

I think I picked the Rams to win that one.

I've found that if you go with our history its pretty easy to predict what happens.

We have to play FOUR more games now before you can tell anything. Beating teams by even 1 point who will end up with losing records is not special.

If the Skins can become 4-1 before playing Philly then we have a chance to make an impact with that Philly game. If we are 3-2 then we are going to end up a middle of the pack team eventually just like last year.

The formula for winning is simple but Snyder, Zorn, Blache simply refuse to follow it.

Yes. We sure did.

The Rams suck, easy win.

We failed.

screw that. We lost on a freak play last year to the Rams.

If you think the Skins failed some major test today then stop watching. Check the standing weekly, you can come back when we're elite.

Archived