Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: NFL average ticket prices rise; thank the Dallas Cowboys

bubba9497

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/09/nfl-average-ticket-prices-rise-thank-the-dallas-cowboys/1

Click link for entire article

NFL average ticket prices rise; thank the Dallas Cowboys

Going to an NFL game this year? Prepare to pay more.

The average price of an NFL ticket rose 4% this season to $75. The increase was fueled largely by the steep prices at the Cowboys' new stadium, Team Marketing Report's survey of NFL ticket prices said. (See the full survey in a pdf here.)

Dallas surpassed New England and now has the most expensive tickets in the league. They average $160, an increase of 90% from last season. Twenty-four teams kept their ticket prices stable.

The sticker shock doesn't end with the cost of tickets, however. The Fan Cost Index -- what it takes to bring a family of four to a game -- is $759 in Dallas, by far the highest in the league.

The Patriots check in with the second-highest FCI at $597, and the league average is $412.

The biggest bargains in the NFL can be found in Buffalo, where tickets average $51 and the FCI is $304, and in Jacksonville, $57 and $310.

The Jaguars, despite the comparatively low prices, are bracing for the possibility of all of their home games being blacked out this year because of an inability to sell tickets.

Wait I don't get it....24 out of 32 teams kept their ticket prices stable.....so that means only 8 teams raised their prices...but an "average" ticket price in the NFL went up?...is this some new type of math? Sure if you are a fan of one of those 8 teams you will pay more but if you are a fan of the other 24 nothing changed

Wait I don't get it....24 out of 32 teams kept their ticket prices stable.....so that means only 8 teams raised their prices...but an "average" ticket price in the NFL went up?...is this some new type of math? Sure if you are a fan of one of those 8 teams you will pay more but if you are a fan of the other 24 nothing changed

Unless you attend games in more than one stadium, which a lot of peole do. Maybe not the majority, but a lot still do.

Man dude, don't sound so offended. It is what it is. Best thing to do is pay for Sunday Ticket and sit in your living room like I do. I will be going to 3 games this year, but that's rare for me.

Don't know if Texas Stadium had a club level, but the new Cowboys Stadium has one with 15,000 seats going at least $340 per game. That'll bump that average up quick.

Considering the hundreds of visiting fans I saw at Texas stadium when I went, I will guess that the new stadium is just a way for even more visiting fans to get in the door.

That is the downside to having such a huge number of seats, especially if the team is having an average year

The Fan Cost Index -- what it takes to bring a family of four to a game -- is $759 in Dallas, by far the highest in the league.

I call bull****. I've been looking at tickets for the 11/22 Skins game cause I'm going, and the cheapest I've seen for nosebleeds is around $180. That's $720 right there on tickets alone, to sit in the corner row 30. $39 for food to feed four people? BULL****!!

Average cost of a ticket takes the average price of each team's tickets and adds them together and then averages that out. They are not implying every team raised prices, just that the average cost of a ticket is more. It is not "new math", averages have been around for a long time.

What I find more disheartening, is that only 8 teams raised prices and caused the average to rise 4%. A 4% increase means, last year, the average price was about $72 a ticket average.

The math works out to about $3 a ticket over 32 teams, which doesn't sound bad. If you only look at the 8 teams that raised prices, then it works out to about $12 per ticket. That is about an average of 16% rise in ticket price for those teams. I am sure that Dallas has one of, if not the largest, increase in ticket prices.

My math may not be 100% accurate, but, it should be close enough to illustrate the point.

I call bull****. I've been looking at tickets for the 11/22 Skins game cause I'm going, and the cheapest I've seen for nosebleeds is around $180. That's $720 right there on tickets alone, to sit in the corner row 30. $39 for food to feed four people? BULL****!!
I don't know about the price of the tickets and all of that, but the Fan Cost Index doesn't just address the tickets and a couple snacks when it's calculating the "family of four" pricing.

It's the four tickets (two adult and two child), four small drinks, two "small" beers, four hot dogs, two programs, parking, and two hats.

I've been looking at tickets for the 11/22 Skins game cause I'm going, and the cheapest I've seen for nosebleeds is around $180. That's $720 right there on tickets alone, to sit in the corner row 30.

The average ticket in Dallas for the Redskins game in TX Stadium was about half of what people pay for that game at FedEx.

I suspect those high prices in Dallas will decline to true market value as the season progresses.

I've been watching the secondary ticket market around the league for several years. There's always sticker shock when you first see the price hikes in these new stadiums, but then the numbers fall as the season plays out and the hype fades. There hasn't even been a real game in Cowboys Stadium.

Not to mention all of the PSL holders currently looking to recover some of their costs in the secondary market, given the economy. They'll soon learn that the PSLs don't pay for themselves.

I highly doubt Jerruh sold every PSL seat in the house. There might be thousands of vacant seats the Cowboys ticket office will have to consign to brokers. Probably plenty of free comps to corporate partners, just like the Redskins do with their unsold seats.

No, it's old math.

That's why it's called an Average.

You do the math. Oh wait, I just noticed your user name.

Man dude, don't sound so offended. It is what it is. Best thing to do is pay for Sunday Ticket and sit in your living room like I do. I will be going to 3 games this year, but that's rare for me.

Bingo. 65" High definition Television, Sweet surround sound, Wings, Soda, No traffic, grill in my back yard ... What more could you want?

I love seeing live football, but I would much rather see the entire game then be stuck in the nose bleeds missing out!!!

Our tickets in section 319 are ~$125 apiece.

I assume they are only factoring in face value of the tickets, not the secondary market markup.

Archived