Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CHFF: Bold and useless predictions (NFC East)

darklight1216

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2798_Bold_and_useless_predictions%3A_NFC_edition.html

NFC East

Bold prediction! New York fans will turn on Eli Manning and his $93 million contract when he struggles with his typical 75 passer rating this season.

Useless prediction! No NFC East quarterbacks will be jailed following a dog-fighting scandal this year.

• Cowboys Cold, Hard Football Fact: Tony Romo sits to pee has the same career passer rating as Peyton Manning (94.7).
  • Giants Cold, Hard Football Fact: The Giants averaged an abysmal 4.8 yards per pass attempt after Plaxico Burress went out in November. The Giants went 1-4 over those final five games. To put that figure into perspective, consider that the Panthers averaged 4.8 yards per rush attempt in 2008.
  • Eagles Cold, Hard Football Fact: Philly ranked second in our all-important Defensive Hog Index last year, behind only the Super Bowl champion Steelers.
  • Redskins Cold, Hard Football Fact: The Redskins surrendered just 3.83 yards per rush attempt in 2008 and added stonewall Albert Haynesworth to the defensive front this year.

They review the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants, but who cares? Here's what CHFF says about the Redskins:

The Redskins made the curious move this off-season of packing its already stout defense with Albert Haynesworth and spending beaucoup bucks in the process (beaucoup is French for "Dan Snyder is out of his mind"). This decision comes at the detriment, we believe, of an offense that was in much greater need of that kind of injection of talent.

The Redskins still do not have a franchise quarterback – which almost always spells trouble in the NFL. Neither one of the long-shot QBs of the future – prolific college gunslingers Colt Brennan and Chase Daniel – will be on the team this year. Daniel was cut the other day. Brennan was placed on IR. That leaves Todd Collins – who is 811 years old in football years – the No. 2 man behind Jason Campbell. Neither will inspire confidence and the lack of a premier quarterback will haunt the Redskins once again in 2009.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

They pick the Eagles to win the division, but as they said, it is useless.

However, I thought some of their comments were kind of funny, and the stats are interesting.

Do you agree with their assessments?

the problem we have to many pieces on offense. We had four WR who's be competing for playing time this year. Drafting one high doesn't make sense. We've got to much money in the RB position to tie up more for a guy who might not see the playing field much considering Portis hasn't yet slowed down. Drafting a QB is a crapshoot. Maybe they could have done a bit more for the O-line but were there that many young guys to sign as free agents.

For all the problems on O there was no position that really screamed for help.

edit: and for anyone who says otherwise please tell me which position and which available player you would slap in there?

edit: and for anyone who says otherwise please tell me which position and which available player you would slap in there?

Personally: Offensive lineman

But since this is a CHFF article, I decided to dig up what they said before the draft:

"Don’t be shocked to see the team grab a quarterback with its No. 1 pick...You cannot reasonably expect to make a title run in the NFL with an offense that ranks 24th in Passing Yards per Attempt and 31st in Scoreability. And the improvements in these areas start with the guy taking the snaps. "

After the draft they admitted: "We failed miserably to identify Washington’s battle plan. But that’s probably a problem with their efforts, and not our analysis. Their picks this year represent a classic example of a team drafting to add to its existing strengths and not drafting to shore up its statistical weaknesses. We should have weighed the Snyder Ego Index more heavily."

I wonder how their December and January QB ratings compare? I have a feeling it is worlds apart.

Time for some more cold, hard, football facts:

You know the other story, too: the knock on Manning has always been that he’s not the same quarterback in the playoffs as he is in the regular season. And it’s literally impossible to argue with that assessment. Manning’s Colts are 117-59 (.665) in the regular season, which makes him one of the winningest quarterbacks in the history of the game. Yet Manning’s Colts are a mere 7-8 (.467) in the postseason and have so many one-and-dones (a shocking six) that the organization should take out a patent on them. The Colts, for example, are 25-7 over the past two seasons – and failed to win a single playoff game.

Manning has also reserved the worst games of his career for the playoffs, dropping statistical clunkers in the 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006 postseasons. His fans exhibit the same symptoms displayed by members of the Cult of Dan, crediting Manning for all of Indy's regular-season success and blaming everybody else for the team's poor postseason record. But even Indy fans, and factless Manning nut-scrubbers like Pete Prisco, can't explain away the dreadful 13.6 PPG the Colts have scored in their eight Manning Era playoff losses.

• Giants Cold, Hard Football Fact: The Giants averaged an abysmal 4.8 yards per pass attempt after Plaxico Burress went out in November. The Giants went 1-4 over those final five games. To put that figure into perspective, consider that the Panthers averaged 4.8 yards per rush attempt in 2008.

This makes no sense. 4.8 yards is abysmal?

Bold Prediction: Jason Campbell will have a better year than Eli Manning, producing more yards, more TDs, less INTS, and subsequently a better QB rating.

Honestly, that's really not that "bold" a prediction.

Last year was JC's first season where he played all 16 games. He threw 13 TD's, 6 INT's, 3200+ yds, rating of 84.3. If he doesn't get hurt, the O-line holds together, Kelly steps up and CP has 1200-1300 yards (I know, a lot of "if's") I think JC could throw around 20 TD's and have around 3500 yards. If even one of the "if's" fails, he could have the same or a disastrous season.

Eli numbers last year (which he was Plaxico-less for part of) - 21 TD's, 10 INT's, 3200+ yds, rating of 86.4. His numbers the year they won the Super Bowl weren't that much better -- 3 more TD's, threw more INT's and his rating was lower,...all with Plaxico playing. My point is -- Eli's just an above average QB. So JC potentially having a better year numbers-wise isn't a stretch IMO.

LOL! 811 years experience!!! at least our QB is rested!!!!

Well rested and very very very experienced :hysterical:

I still say he's good enough to get us back to the playoffs, but from what I'm seeing of Campbell, if he stays healthy and stays attacking defenses, there's no way in hell this teams sitting at the bottom of the east.

We should have drafted Oher. Not saying Orakpo wont be great but adding him to a number 4 defense that had already aquired Haynesworth and Deangelo Hall in the offseason is like trying to kill an ant with a sledgehammer.

I think Oher would have given us the opportunity for a stronger more balanced team rather than a one sided, albeit extremely dominant, one. Again, I love Orakpo and hes been nothing but awesome for us, just wonder if it was the right pick for us based on where we are as a team

Bold Prediction: Jason Campbell will have a better year than Eli Manning, producing more yards, more TDs, less INTS, and subsequently a better QB rating.

Useless prediction: Michael Vick will have no impact on the Eagles 2009 season.

+ 1 :laugh:

This makes no sense. 4.8 yards is abysmal?

Considering the average ypa was about 7.0... yes, it is abysmal.

For all the problems on O there was no position that really screamed for help.

Well the problem position on offense is clearly RT. RG could be trouble too if Thomas goes down, and we could use a better Center. At least we got a good fix on LG.

The problem with addressing those clear needs is that it would have come at the expense of our ability to obtain better players at other positions. The only great tackle option available to us this offseason was Jordan Gross but that would have cost us a first rounder+ and a huge contract to get him from the Panthers, and I don't think there was ever a realistic chance of us getting him. Vernon Cary was a decent option I might have considered but again we'd probably have had to overpay him and I like the Haynesworth-Hall-Dockery trio of signings better. That pretty much leaves the draft for an OT. I definitely like picking Orakpo over Oher. But man o man would it have been nice to get a mulligan on that Jason Taylor trade so we could have had our second rounder back. We could have used it on a couple of really sound prospects, particularly William Beatty who ended up slipping all of the way to the Giants.

As for G and C, there were almost no good FAs available except Jason Brown and I know we didn't have the money for him. He went for a lot of money for a center, and we were better off keeping Rabach and spending on DT, CB, and LG. Eric Wood was a guy I would have loved to get but he ended up going way higher than I expected at the end of the first round. If he had been there in the mid second, I would have considered trading to get him somehow (but I wouldn't have given up next year's first).

Other than that, I definitely would have used my 5th round pick on a guy like Duke Robinson, Jamon Meredith, Fenuki Tupou, or A.Q. Shipley instead of on Cody Glenn. It looks like the FO did well in passing on Shipley and getting Edwin Williams undrafted later on so props to them for that. But the other three names I mentioned could have been depth with promise at positions of need at the very least.

That's the one spot where I can point to and say that the FO screwed up this offseason. Cody Glenn was a bad pick and I've thought so all along. But that's a pretty minor mistake all things considered. The rest of the offseason transactions look like runaway success.

We should have drafted Oher. Not saying Orakpo wont be great but adding him to a number 4 defense that had already aquired Haynesworth and Deangelo Hall in the offseason is like trying to kill an ant with a sledgehammer.

Well maybe now that friggin ant will cough up some turnovers :mad:

Archived