Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Annual ESPN predictions!! (HAHA nobody loves us)

Farbod21

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/news/story?id=4424374

Every team in the NFC East has been chosen to win the division except the Skins. Also we weren't picked by anyone to make the playoffs. The only mention of us was a few people picked Orakpo to win DROY.

Can't wait for the season to start :)

I was doing some reading the other night and noticed that the Skins have never had a DPOY in it's entire history. EVER!

We were #4 in 2008 and on the couch in January.

We're not good and haven't been good for a long time. Why are people expecting "love" from anyone?

In the past 4 years we've had a losing record one time. We've made the playoffs twice, once winning a game on the road. We have a terrific Defense on paper and on the field last year. We have offensive weapons and have some continuity from last year. I am not saying we are world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, but its not doom and gloom like you portray either.

In the past 4 years we've had a losing record one time. We've made the playoffs twice, once winning a game on the road. We have a terrific Defense on paper and on the field last year. We have offensive weapons and have some continuity from last year. I am not saying we are world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, but its not doom and gloom like you portray either.

It took a Hall of Fame coach two miracle playoff runs to do anything. We're not under Joe Gibbs anymore; we're under a second-year coach. We're 16-0 "on paper" every year.

I don't know about you, but I'm sick of waiting for us to be consistently good. Not "Whew, snuck into the playoffs again!" good. I'm talking Colts, Steelers, Patriots good.

I'm not mocking your optimism; I am extremely envious of it.

It took a Hall of Fame coach two miracle playoff runs to do anything. We're not under Joe Gibbs anymore; we're under a second-year coach. We're 16-0 "on paper" every year.

I don't know about you, but I'm sick of waiting for us to be consistently good. Not "Whew, snuck into the playoffs again!" good. I'm talking Colts, Steelers, Patriots good.

No one will lose any sleep if you go somewhere else.

You just made me realize that the Colts have had 12 or more wins the past 6 seasons straight.

You just made me realize that the Colts have had 12 or more wins the past 6 seasons straight.

You want to be that good for that long? Get a Hall of Fame QB. Only way to do it. Show me a team that has been that good for that long and didnt have a top 20 all time QB at the helm. Teams like Baltimore, Tampa and the 85 Bears do happen on occasion, but to be a team that wins 10+ games for 5+ years, you need a stud QB. Once we find that, we can be one of those teams.

8-8 playing in the beast with a top 5 defense doesnt deserve respect?

No. Not at all actually. We finished last.

I like what someone else said, for all the outrage I wonder how many would put real money down on the skins winning the division. I doubt that many would. The skins have to be consistent winners before they get respect in the media. Bram was recently interviewed on redskins radio and he said his biggest surprise was the the redskins are simply not discussed at ESPN, we aren't even on the map. It's worse than hate, amongst sports writers the Redskins are irrelevant.

When is the last time the redskins won the NFC East? I think it was 10 years ago when the Cardinals were still in our division.

8-8 playing in the beast with a top 5 defense doesnt deserve respect?

NO - keep in mind we actually split the 'beast' last year - (3-3) and managed to finish last in the division anyway. It's pretty pathetic to be asking for respect for a .500 team regardless.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/news/story?id=4424374

Every team in the NFC East has been chosen to win the division except the Skins. Also we weren't picked by anyone to make the playoffs. The only mention of us was a few people picked Orakpo to win DROY.

Can't wait for the season to start :)

Are they supposed to love the Skins and expect them to win the whole thing? I truly despise the inferiority complex we, as a fanbase, portray.

Just to keep everything in perspective, here are these same "expert" predictions for 2008:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/news/story?id=3552727

Only one of them picked the Skins for the playoffs! ****ing haters! We sure showed them last season.

You want to be that good for that long? Get a Hall of Fame QB. Only way to do it. Show me a team that has been that good for that long and didnt have a top 20 all time QB at the helm. Teams like Baltimore, Tampa and the 85 Bears do happen on occasion, but to be a team that wins 10+ games for 5+ years, you need a stud QB. Once we find that, we can be one of those teams.

Baloney. Is Donovan McNabb a "top 20 all time QB"? I'd say no. Heck, during the 'skins glory years, what "top 20 all time QB" did they have? Yes, a stud QB is a huge part of the puzzle, but it's not the only part by far. Otherwise, why would Trent Dilfer, Jim Pluckett, and Brad Johnson have more rings than Dan Marino?

It took a Hall of Fame coach two miracle playoff runs to do anything.

Why is winning 4 or 5 a games in a row considered a "miracle"? They weren't winning those games off of hail mary passes with time expired. They weren't making 57 yard field goals in OT to clinch the victory. They weren't catcthing teams with their starting QB on the bench due to injury.

In EACH of those 9 games mentioned, the Skins played extremely solid, well-rounded football (except maybe for the Cardinals game in 2005). There was nothing "miraculous" about those finishes...those were games where the team excelled EXACTLY at the point where good teams tend to excel.

Why we continue to diminish the successes of our "favorite" team is beyond me.

Why we continue to diminish the successes of our "favorite" team is beyond me.

It's not so much diminishing them as it's choosing not to overinflate them, as some do here. Look at these "successes" - over the past ten years, we as fans can brag about a grand total of 3 playoff "runs" (not even consecutive!), none of which got past the divisional round and only one of which was the result of a division title. That's it! In between, there's been more losses than wins, and few signs (yet) of some sort of structural stability. Sure, that's more playoff wins than teams like the Cowboys, Browns, Texans, or Lions can point to, and we're still not the league joke the Raiders have become, but is that what we've sunk to? Saying "We're better than the Lions!"?? How you define success reflects your history and your expectations - 8-8 would be a lousy year if you're a Patriots fan, but a great year if you're a Lions fan. As a 'skins fan, I choose to expect better.

:hysterical: hahaha QFT...who cares what predictions are....those who make the predictions do not play the game and often just go with what the general consensus is.

Bingo. How many of those "experts" predicted last year either Atlanta or Miami were going to the playoffs? I have no clue but I bet none of them. These predictions are stupid and hardly ever right.

It's not so much diminishing them as it's choosing not to overinflate them, as some do here. Look at these "successes" - over the past ten years, we as fans can brag about a grand total of 3 playoff "runs" (not even consecutive!), none of which got past the divisional round and only one of which was the result of a division title. That's it! In between, there's been more losses than wins, and few signs (yet) of some sort of structural stability. Sure, that's more playoff wins than teams like the Cowboys, Browns, Texans, or Lions can point to, and we're still not the league joke the Raiders have become, but is that what we've sunk to? Saying "We're better than the Lions!"?? How you define success reflects your history and your expectations - 8-8 would be a lousy year if you're a Patriots fan, but a great year if you're a Lions fan. As a 'skins fan, I choose to expect better.

I think we have to stop going so far back and making it look worse than it is. I think we are moving in the right direction but it takes time. You rarely go from sucky to consistently good instantly. I think it's more gradual.

Before (say in 2003) you had to say only 1 playoffs and no semblance of being really good since 91. Now you have the seasons of 05 and 07 in your way.

I know if I was trying to make progress and I had made genuine progress albeit not amazing I'd be angry if someone tried to bring up something I did 10 years ago.

Bingo. How many of those "experts" predicted last year either Atlanta or Miami were going to the playoffs? I have no clue but I bet none of them. These predictions are stupid and hardly ever right.

The truth, basically, which is why getting so wound up about them is a waste of time. Sure, we can all be fairly certain the Super Bowl won't be Lions vs. Raiders, but outside of that, it's mostly just guessing. We can't know who will be injured, who will slack off, who will step up, and what teams Lady Luck will favor the most. The NFL is a wild, wacky world - you've got the 9-7 Cardinals(!) in the Super Bowl and the 11-5 Patriots not even making the playoffs! Huh?!? What?!?! But that's why I love it.

Archived