Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Annual ESPN predictions!! (HAHA nobody loves us)

Farbod21

Are they supposed to love the Skins and expect them to win the whole thing? I truly despise the inferiority complex we, as a fanbase, portray.

Only one of them picked the Skins for the playoffs! ****ing haters! We sure showed them last season.

Dallas sure showed them as well!

Read my sig. It's a sad commentary of the fans when they look at 9-7 or 10-6 with a "playoff" appearance here and there. What happened to the days when nothing less than 11-5, a division title and at least a deep playoff run was expected? When did we get so satisfied with a wild card playoff appearance on the road? I mean, we haven't had a "home" playoff game since Brad Johnson was at the helm.

We're the only NFC East team without a division title this decade. We're the only NFC East team without a home playoff game this decade. We're the only NFC East team that hasn't won 12 games or more this decade. Two NFC East teams have been to/won a SB. The 3rd won has won at least 13 games, a division title and been a #1 seed (even though they haven't won a playoff game). The last one hasn't done any of that, nor have they been higher than a 6 seed.

My god, what happened to our fans? Are we that deperate for validation that we'll jump for joy over 9 wins and a wild card appearance? Makes me sad man, very sad. Any Redskins fans that says they don't want to be like the Patriots, Colts, Eagles or any other consistant franchise, is foolish.

It's not so much diminishing them as it's choosing not to overinflate them, as some do here.

Calling them "miracle finishes" is indeed diminishing them. The team, in both instances (the 2005 finish and the 2007 finish) played EXCELLENT football, the best of the season both years during those winning streaks. To call it anything that takes away from their performance is diminishing their play in my eyes. And it's unnecessary...

Look at these "successes" - over the past ten years, we as fans can brag about a grand total of 3 playoff "runs" (not even consecutive!), none of which got past the divisional round and only one of which was the result of a division title. That's it! In between, there's been more losses than wins, and few signs (yet) of some sort of structural stability. Sure, that's more playoff wins than teams like the Cowboys, Browns, Texans, or Lions can point to, and we're still not the league joke the Raiders have become, but is that what we've sunk to? Saying "We're better than the Lions!"?? How you define success reflects your history and your expectations - 8-8 would be a lousy year if you're a Patriots fan, but a great year if you're a Lions fan. As a 'skins fan, I choose to expect better.

None of that is the point, though (at least not my point lol)...it's that the negatives that the team has gone through should not automatically make us as fans brush off the positives. I've seen it happen here WAY more than it should. It's like harping on the Archuleeta, Lloyd and Ducket signings, and then claiming that the Portis, Moss and Fletcher signings were due to "luck". It's also like harping on the Taylor Jacobs, Patrick Ramsey and Lloyd Harrison draft picks...and brushing off the Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley and Chris Sameuls picks as simply "No brainers". And for the record, I've seen both of those things done numerous times on here.

I've also seen Portis' yardage totals each year diminished as due to nothing more than "giving Portis 350 carries a season...any back would have that same yardage if we gave them 350 carries per season!"...God forbid we actually acknowledge that Portis' yardage totals are worthy of praise and NOT something that just "any running back" could achieve...that it takes more than simply getting the ball 350 times a season to accomplish what that man accomplishes...no, we can't do that, need to make sure that NOTHING about the Redskins is seen as too successful...

Not saying you said this, but again, I do witness this trend way too much around here...and not sure what the hell causes it other than an immature refusal to admit that Vinny, Snyder, and the team overall have all done well in areas.

None of that is the point, though (at least not my point lol)...it's that the negatives that the team has gone through should not automatically make us as fans brush off the positives. I've seen it happen here WAY more than it should. It's like harping on the Archuleeta, Lloyd and Ducket signings, and then claiming that the Portis, Moss and Fletcher signings were due to "luck". It's also like harping on the Taylor Jacobs, Patrick Ramsey and Lloyd Harrison draft picks...and brushing off the Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley and Chris Sameuls picks as simply "No brainers". And for the record, I've seen both of those things done numerous times on here.

I've also seen Portis' yardage totals each year diminished as due to nothing more than "giving Portis 350 carries a season...any back would have that same yardage if we gave them 350 carries per season!"...God forbid we actually acknowledge that Portis' yardage totals are worthy of praise and NOT something that just "any running back" could achieve...that it takes more than simply getting the ball 350 times a season to accomplish what that man accomplishes...no, we can't do that, need to make sure that NOTHING about the Redskins is seen as too successful...

Not saying you said this, but again, I do witness this trend way too much around here...and not sure what the hell causes it other than an immature refusal to admit that Vinny, Snyder, and the team overall have all done well in areas.

:1stplace::groupwave:

While those are individual success and very good ones at that (See I can give them praise), the name of the game is winning and winning SB's. It's the team and the end result (won/loss record) that counts when all is said and done. We're the playoff runs a hint of success? Sure. It was nice and all, but if that's the best we can do or expect, it's pretty low standards as a fanbase.

We get absolutely no respect.

We don't really deserve it... YET

Experts are bandwagoners. Alot of the so called experts dont want to go out on a limb. Why would they pick us?

Would you pick the Texans to win their division?

Point is we are Redskins fans and we believe we will do it. Nothing Else Matters as Metalica once said.

While those are individual success and very good ones at that (See I can give them praise), the name of the game is winning and winning SB's. It's the team and the end result (won/loss record) that counts when all is said and done. We're the playoff runs a hint of success? Sure. It was nice and all, but if that's the best we can do or expect, it's pretty low standards as a fanbase.

There's where the mistake is, though...in thnking that praising individual player's performances or a unit's performance automatically equates to "I'm satisfied, we don't need to do any better"....or in saying that the two playoff runs were not "flukes", "luck" or "miracles" and that the team played excellent football down the stretch (which is what you want your team to do, btw) somehow equates to "I don't need anything else, a 6th seed and an immediate exit from the playoffs is good enough for me, thank you!" lol...

Nothing could be further from the truth. It's just that many of us don't need to wait until the Skins win another Super Bowl before we praise the very real efforts, progress and accomplishments we see occuring on our favorite team.

There's where the mistake is, though...in thnking that praising individual player's performances or a unit's performance automatically equates to "I'm satisfied, we don't need to do any better"....or in saying that the two playoff runs were not "flukes", "luck" or "miracles" and that the team played excellent football down the stretch (which is what you want your team to do, btw) somehow equates to "I don't need anything else, a 6th seed and an immediate exit from the playoffs is good enough for me, thank you!" lol...

Nothing could be further from the truth. It's just that many of us don't need to wait until the Skins win another Super Bowl before we praise the very real efforts, progress and accomplishments we see occuring on our favorite team.

Normally don't agree with most of your posts, but we are on the same page here.

Just look at the NFC the past 5 years. Arizona beats the Eagles in the NFC championship last year. Eagles had almost no chance to make the playoffs a month earlier and the Cardinals were underdogs at home in the playoffs.

The year before, the Giants were talking about firing Coughlin, but end up winning the SB as a wildcard. The Bears and Seahawks were not powerhouse teams the two prior years.

Reality is the NFC is mediocre. All it takes is for a team to finish strong to have a chance to go to the SB. Last year showed the trend is actually leaning even further away from the relevance of playoff seeding resulting in SB appearances in the NFC.

In 2005, if Rogers doesn't drop the pick 6 who knows what would have taken place. In 2007 if Cooley catches the TD in the 4th quarter we walk out with a W and march through Dallas. The team is not that far away relative to the rest of the NFC. With our D and CP, I wouldn't count us out of anything.

Read my sig. It's a sad commentary of the fans when they look at 9-7 or 10-6 with a "playoff" appearance here and there. What happened to the days when nothing less than 11-5, a division title and at least a deep playoff run was expected? When did we get so satisfied with a wild card playoff appearance on the road? I mean, we haven't had a "home" playoff game since Brad Johnson was at the helm.

We're the only NFC East team without a division title this decade. We're the only NFC East team without a home playoff game this decade. We're the only NFC East team that hasn't won 12 games or more this decade. Two NFC East teams have been to/won a SB. The 3rd won has won at least 13 games, a division title and been a #1 seed (even though they haven't won a playoff game). The last one hasn't done any of that, nor have they been higher than a 6 seed.

My god, what happened to our fans? Are we that deperate for validation that we'll jump for joy over 9 wins and a wild card appearance? Makes me sad man, very sad. Any Redskins fans that says they don't want to be like the Patriots, Colts, Eagles or any other consistant franchise, is foolish.

I completely agree with your point and your sig. I don't understand either why the expectations of the fans have lowered so much. When the schedule comes out each year, I too hope for at least 11 wins and competing for the division title. I think most fans are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and maybe that will propel this team to a SB title. I think, but it will be a gradual transition, fans will eventually change their expectations of this team year to the point where the Skins will be thought of as an annual contender for the NFC East title, as well as the Super Bowl.

Just look at the NFC the past 5 years. Arizona beats the Eagles in the NFC championship last year. Eagles had almost no chance to make the playoffs a month earlier and the Cardinals were underdogs at home in the playoffs.

The year before, the Giants were talking about firing Coughlin, but end up winning the SB as a wildcard. The Bears and Seahawks were not powerhouse teams the two prior years.

Reality is the NFC is mediocre. All it takes is for a team to finish strong to have a chance to go to the SB. Last year showed the trend is actually leaning even further away from the relevance of playoff seeding resulting in SB appearances in the NFC.

In 2005, if Rogers doesn't drop the pick 6 who knows what would have taken place. In 2007 if Cooley catches the TD in the 4th quarter we walk out with a W and march through Dallas. The team is not that far away relative to the rest of the NFC. With our D and CP, I wouldn't count us out of anything.

I agree 100 percent with this post. Redskins can go deep in the playoffs. Also possible we go 5 and 11. But as a fan and this could be our only optomistic moment of the year, Im saying bring on the Giants for an but whoopin

I get one right every once and awhile, huh? lol :cool:...

Definitely true :yes:...

Absolutely agree SoCal, and I don't necessarily think that many think we're that far back from the rest of the teams in the division. However, if you had to pick the favorites to represent the division in the playoffs, based on recent results, you gotta take Philly and the Giants. Maybe we come along and surprise this year and take the division. Maybe it wouldn't be a GREAT surprise, but would be one nonetheless.

Absolutely agree SoCal, and I don't necessarily think that many think we're that far back from the rest of the teams in the division. However, if you had to pick the favorites to represent the division in the playoffs, based on recent results, you gotta take Philly and the Giants. Maybe we come along and surprise this year and take the division. Maybe it wouldn't be a GREAT surprise, but would be one nonetheless.

You are right. If I had to bet say kids life even though I dont have kids I would not pick us for the playoffs but a part of me would want to!

Yep - every year ES members say they like the underdog role - until they realize why the Skins were made underdogs.

Yeah, and every year the "media" picks us to do well... we end up looking like Rutgers did the other day against Cinci... all hype.. no bite.

This is a surprise team... has been since 91... thats the only time i can ever remember that the team stepped up and played to and above positive expectations. Ever since then, they pick us to be a powerhouse and we go 5 - 11... they pick us to flop and we get to the playoffs.

I see what you are saying, but I guess I should be more specific with my goals for the team. I would love to win a SB, but the reality is, we are a "yo-yo" team. Up and down, up and down. Take (just for instance-not busting on Joe Gibbs) the 4 years Gibbs was here. 6-10, 10-6, 5-11, 9-7. A more realistic view to see that the team was improving would be going from 6-10, to 8-8, to 11-5 to 13-3. That's progress. We have had some great individual seasons from players and there have been some really exciting games (Dallass 35-7 beatdown, 14-13 game, beating the Saints last year, the runs of 2005 and 2007), but nothing firm or substantial.

Progress is moving forward. We progress, regress, then progress again. Really just spinning our wheels if you ask me. I won't be a basher and say, aww, we suck, we're just like the Lions, etc. But when you compare us to the rest of the NFC East, we have nothing to brag about. Especially when we are constantly predicted to finish 4th year after year. That's not media hate, that's being truthful. And by the way, nothing about the 2005 or 2007 runs were luck or flukes. You either win or lose and we played tough football to win those games.

Bad thing is, if the NFC is so mediocre or bad, what does that say about us? I do agree with you that we were a pick 6 away from playing in Dallass if Carlos holds on, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Bad thing is, if the NFC is so mediocre or bad, what does that say about us? I do agree with you that we were a pick 6 away from playing in Dallass if Carlos holds on, but it just wasn't in the cards.

We would have played in Carolina if Rogers holds on. Cooley's drop kept us from Dallas.

Archived