Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Question about Blache and the Defense

darrelgreenie

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

From my observations a simple breakdown of Blache's main defensive schemes are(feel free add/comment/correct):

Edit: Don't forget**Watch the clip about the zone blitz at the bottom of post**

Base D:

Cover 3 Zone

CB playing off and FS playing deep

SS, MLB and WLB splitting the underneath coverage into zones

SAM blitzing

Cover 3 Man

CB match-up man-to-man usually in off coverage but sometimes press.

SS/SAM on the TE the other blitzes

MLB and WLB take the backs

Change up defensive:

Cover 2 Zone

This is not a bash Blache thread.

His defense forced the highest number of 3 and outs in the NFL.

Its was the 4th ranked defense in the NFL.

6th in points allowed.

Top 10 against the run.

Its hard to argue with those numbers.

But Blaches defense doesn't attempt any of this:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d812541e6/Under-pressure

^^WATCH THIS VIDEO CLIP^^

Alright, enough with the preamble:

Do you think Blache's schemes maximize our defensive personnel? (and why?)

my only complaint is that they stick landry so far back, its impossible for him to regularly make big plays.

i say this as a huge landry fan, who has his authetic jersey... i want to see him make bigger plays, i didn't spend 300$ on a shirt for nothing :(

my only complaint is that they stick landry so far back, its impossible for him to regularly make big plays.

i say this as a huge landry fan, who has his authetic jersey... i want to see him make bigger plays, i didn't spend 300$ on a shirt for nothing :(

not just landry , even the corners play too far back imo. Seemed like the entire pre-season they were giving 10 yards of space between the receiver. which didn't work out well

Blache has the tendency to force players to play in unfamiliar positions rather than leveraging their natural talent and making them beasts in their respective position.

Some rotation is good, but thing like coverting a good DE like Orakpo into a SAM , just because we don't have good LBs, is mind numbing.

Our defense was /is good ... But, we did/do have a tendecy to give up big plays. We also don't put nearly as much pressure on the QBs with exotic blitzes and such as some of the other defenses.

Gregg Williams got more production with lesser talent.

not just landry , even the corners play too far back imo. Seemed like the entire pre-season they were giving 10 yards of space between the receiver. which didn't work out well

apparently they didn't play far enuff back because Moss caught TWO touchdowns against them and got behind Landry and Hall on both plays and the week before a receiver got behind Tryon and Doughty.

Blache has the tendency to force players to play in unfamiliar positions rather than leveraging their natural talent and making them beasts in their respective position.

Some rotation is good, but thing like coverting a good DE like Orakpo into a SAM , just because we don't have good LBs, is mind numbing.

Our defense was /is good ... But, we did/do have a tendecy to give up big plays. We also don't put nearly as much pressure on the QBs with exotic blitzes and such as some of the other defenses.

Gregg Williams got more production with lesser talent.

completley agree. Redskins blitz but they just come to the line and stand there. why do we never see 8 men at the line and then 5 or 6 come and the rest back off. But not just ONE time. Do that consistently with DIFFERENT guys coming and DIFFERENT guys dropping off into coverage. Thats what Pittsburg and Baltimore do and it has nothing to do with 3-4 or 4-3 defenses it just has to do with creativity. Blache doesn't have that.

apparently they didn't play far enuff back because Moss caught TWO touchdowns against them and got behind Landry and Hall on both plays and the week before a receiver got behind Tryon and Doughty.

Maybe I saw I different game, but I remember Hall being step for step with Moss, he just got blocked out by a big bodied reciever who made a good play on the ball. He did get behind Landry on the 2nd play and that was very obvious.

Sorry for the hijack.

Scheme is about putting your guys in the right place to maximize their talents, but at the end of the day, 75% of football is execution not design. We've gotten the most out of a group of solid but unspectacular players through coaching. Cornelius Griffin is the perfect example of this--a good DT who can be outstanding when the talent is around him, but not an elite player who can change a game by himself. We haven't had a lot of elite players on the team recently, outside of Lavar and Taylor and Landry. It's refreshing to see that change with the addition of Orakpo, Haynesworth, and Hall. Those guys dictate what an offense can do because of their athleticism. Now we should start seeing the solid veterans like McIntosh, Griffin, and Carter shine in their mismatches--even if we change very little about our scheme.

Also, the coaches design the scheme around the personnel.

Dont the Ravens play Ed Reed a good 20-30yds off the ball most times? And we did Play ST a good 20-30yds deep too.

I like the depth at which Landry plays, its about him being able to recognize and have instinct to where a QB, or a play may be going, and that comes with experience, I say he puts it together this year and you will come to love Landry playing that deep middle.

What's disturbing is we have POOR blitzers, outside of Landry ( I know a conundrum because I want him deep) If ANYTHING I'd like to see Blache coach up the LB's and DB's on blitzing angles, and timing. A good blitzer is alot like a running back, running to where the play is "blocked" (stunts and games by DL), being instinctual, and fighting through.

The large cushions our corners give are to compensate for the weak pass rush. If they played press coverage the last few years, you'd see them getting toasted when the quarterback has all day to throw. More cushions allows for the occasional slant pass but it works well if you have linebackers who can drop back quick and cover the short inside routes. The drawback of press coverage is that if the blitz or the four man front fails to do it's job then the corners more often than not are completely screwed.

We'll see more press coverage with Haynesworth and Orakpo wreaking havoc (hopefully).

Scheme is about putting your guys in the right place to maximize their talents, but at the end of the day, 75% of football is execution not design. We've gotten the most out of a group of solid but unspectacular players through coaching. Cornelius Griffin is the perfect example of this--a good DT who can be outstanding when the talent is around him, but not an elite player who can change a game by himself. We haven't had a lot of elite players on the team recently, outside of Lavar and Taylor and Landry. It's refreshing to see that change with the addition of Orakpo, Haynesworth, and Hall. Those guys dictate what an offense can do because of their athleticism. Now we should start seeing the solid veterans like McIntosh, Griffin, and Carter shine in their mismatches--even if we change very little about our scheme.

I agree with this post 100%...

Dont the Ravens play Ed Reed a good 20-30yds off the ball most times? And we did Play ST a good 20-30yds deep too.

I like the depth at which Landry plays, its about him being able to recognize and have instinct to where a QB, or a play may be going, and that comes with experience, I say he puts it together this year and you will come to love Landry playing that deep middle.

What's disturbing is we have POOR blitzers, outside of Landry ( I know a conundrum because I want him deep) If ANYTHING I'd like to see Blache coach up the LB's and DB's on blitzing angles, and timing. A good blitzer is alot like a running back, running to where the play is "blocked" (stunts and games by DL), being instinctual, and fighting through.

I agree Landry's problem is he never comes out of the post, ST when he played that "Angel" FS position had 5 picks in less than half a season in 07'...Landry has got to study offenses and formations more so he can react quicker to plays and begin to make plays on the ball.

I've been saying the same thing for a looong time here...It's not the scheme. We probably have had the poorest group of blitzing LB's in the league for awhile. It's like they weren't blitzing to get to the QB, but that they were blitzing right into blocks, and once they were blocked they stayed blocked. I think with Orakpo, and Wilson in the fold at LB we will see LB blitzes that actually get to the QB...

Scheme is about putting your guys in the right place to maximize their talents, but at the end of the day, 75% of football is execution not design.

But what happens when the scheme is executed correctly but the offense has the answer to that scheme?

I think this is what happens to our defense.

Blache shows an offense the same looks and eventually they'll figure it out.

The defense can work effectively for awhile but lack of variation in Blache's defensive game-calling limits its effectiveness.

It doesn't seem as if Blache has any zone-blitzing in his play book.

And he doesn't mix up coverages that often.

It seems for the most part defenses know what they're gonna get.

We haven't had a lot of elite players on the team recently, outside of Lavar and Taylor and Landry. It's refreshing to see that change with the addition of Orakpo, Haynesworth, and Hall. Those guys dictate what an offense can do because of their athleticism. Now we should start seeing the solid veterans like McIntosh, Griffin, and Carter shine in their mismatches--even if we change very little about our scheme.

I agree with you on the elite talent issue.

I think this defense would be great if we had our corners could play press man. (But then again so would most defenses)

I'm just not sure we'll be much more effective running the same schemes.

Teams can still use the same concepts to beat the schemes.

I agree with this post 100%...

I agree Landry's problem is he never comes out of the post, ST when he played that "Angel" FS position had 5 picks in less than half a season in 07'...Landry has got to study offenses and formations more so he can react quicker to plays and begin to make plays on the ball.

I've been saying the same thing for a looong time here...It's not the scheme. We probably have had the poorest group of blitzing LB's in the league for awhile. It's like they weren't blitzing to get to the QB, but that they were blitzing right into blocks, and once they were blocked they stayed blocked. I think with Orakpo, and Wilson in the fold at LB we will see LB blitzes that actually get to the QB...[

I get what you are saying ,but its just not that easy for LL..Sean just made it look Easy!!

Maybe I saw I different game, but I remember Hall being step for step with Moss, he just got blocked out by a big bodied reciever who made a good play on the ball. He did get behind Landry on the 2nd play and that was very obvious.

Sorry for the hijack.

Perhaps you don't remember but Moss was in the endzone before Hall. Actually Hall was behind Moss and trying to reach around to swat the ball out. If Hall had stayed ahead of Moss at all times then he would have to had to come up and make a play on the ball but he was back behind Moss.

We both saw the same game I just watched the replay more.

Archived