Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DP: Mike Sellers getting a lot of hate...

mzkp54

It is time to CUT sellers and give his spot to a team player

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_13227326

This is the only mention of it in the article, but the full article is linked above.

QBs Brady, Campbell put on air show

The Denver Post and wire services

Posted: 08/29/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Quote:

"In an unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette, Redskins fullback Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, linebacker Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf."

Alot of people are really mad about this, calling for fines and suspension and such. I think they're overreacting, wondering what ES thinks...

Also, I didn't see this happen, did anyone actually see and can clarify what happened?

If he broke the flag in half, then be outraged. If he threw it to the ground just shut up. Learn to get over things.

Maybe you should learn what the flag actually means before running your trap & telling people that they should just shut up & get over it. It's not just some scrap of cloth. People have served for & died for our flag to protect your freedom & ability for you to be able to post like a jackass from the safety of your home. Or mom's basement. Or whatever.

I don't think Caveman meant anything by this and I agree it needs to be put to rest. I'm tired of seeing it pasted all over front pages of ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Yahoo! Sports.

Granted he should know better and I think everyone learned a lesson on proper flag bearer etiquette.

-----------

This reminds me of a Cubs game I went to last year when the O's were in town. The salty Cubs fans cried and moaned when a few hundred Orioles fans yelled "O" during the National Anthem. Get over it. We won the series too!

Maybe you should learn what the flag actually means before running your trap & telling people that they should just shut up & get over it. It's not just some scrap of cloth. People have served for & died for our flag to protect your freedom & ability for you to be able to post like a jackass from the safety of your home. Or mom's basement. Or whatever.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I agree 100% with TK on this one. As I said before, Mike might not have realized what he had done, we all do stupid stuff in moments. Messing up with the flag is a little different. However being from a military family he should have known better.

I would have expected this from someone who was never educated much or something along that line.

I think it an act of disrespect to have a football player run out of the team tunnel flinging the flag around like a damned prop. Put the flag on a pole at the top of the stadium or outside at the main entrance and leave it out of the pre-game hype.

I also can't stand people improvising when singing the National Anthem. Sing it straight and leave all the errant vocalizations at home please! It is written in 3/4 time for a reason. Sing it correctly!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I agree 100% with TK on this one. As I said before, Mike might not have realized what he had done, we all do stupid stuff in moments. Messing up with the flag is a little different. However being from a military family he should have known better.

I would have expected this from someone who was never educated much or something along that line.

Sellers certainly meant no disrespect. He is not that type of person. However, this isn't a highschool game. The team is in a professional league and this was a widely-followed, nationally-broadcast sporting event from which the team made a large profit. The team (not Sellers) chose to make the flag a part of its opening entertainment, which is not a requirement, but was an attempt by the team to wrap its image in a blanket of patriotism. It had a responsibility to make sure that the flag was treated properly and should have taken steps to ensure that all participants understood what needed to be done. I do not blame Sellers for this, and believe him completely when he said he was just not thinking in the excitement of the game. But I think the Redskins employees who put on the pre-game show should be disciplined. This incident has cast a bright light on the team and on Sellers, and that is unfortunate.

Does he have any trade value?

I don't think Caveman meant anything by this and I agree it needs to be put to rest. I'm tired of seeing it pasted all over front pages of ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Yahoo! Sports.

Granted he should know better and I think everyone learned a lesson on proper flag bearer etiquette.

-----------

This reminds me of a Cubs game I went to last year when the O's were in town. The salty Cubs fans cried and moaned when a few hundred Orioles fans yelled "O" during the National Anthem. Get over it. We won the series too!

Im glad he did it.

Go Sellers!

Man.

You know what? The mods don't usually ban people for content but this is the most idiotic statement I have ever seen on this board. That, my friend, is definitely saying something.

Feel how you want to feel. Nobody can stop you. But if you want to come on here and blatantly show that type of disrespect then you better think twice.

Unbelievable.

Man.

You know what? The mods don't usually ban people for content but this is the most idiotic statement I have ever seen on this board. That, my friend, is definitely saying something.

Feel how you want to feel. Nobody can stop you. But if you want to come on here and blatantly show that type of disrespect then you better think twice.

Unbelievable.

Toe Jam, I think PapaBear's "I am glad he did it" was referring to Sellers' apology, not Sellers' dropping of the flag.

• 2 weeks later...
Man.

Unbelievable.

Oh so your saying I'm an idiot becuase I have a different opinion? or is it you and everyone else who is dumb enough not to look at the whole picture? So please explain why it was idiotic kind sir.

What do you mean by think twice? You gonna kick my ass online or something? :chair: <-----There you go now its your turn

Oh so your saying I'm an idiot becuase I have a different opinion? or is it you and everyone else who is dumb enough not to look at the whole picture? So please explain why it was idiotic kind sir.

What do you mean by think twice? You gonna kick my ass online or something? :chair: <-----There you go now its your turn

It's simple.

Why would you come in here and say "I'm glad he did it" when you knew what kind of response it was going to draw?

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

That's all I was trying to say. No reason to lose your head over it.

It seemed like you were the one that got upset and no matter what kind of response it got I will still post exactly what I feel.

Now if I said it JUST to piss people off I could understand, but don't say I shouldnt post something because it's not what everyone else agrees with.

Thank you. <3

Overreacting big time. I am ex military. Guarantee The American flag gets dropped hundreds of times or is allowed to grace the floor. I've seen the color guard hang it upside down. When my father passed a few months ago (20 years retired military) I received his flag and the honor guard about dropped that. Let alone it took them literally 15 minutes to fold, unfold, refold it and it looked awful when they presented it to me. But no big deal. These guys practice this all the time. I'm sure Big Mike isn't in the flag handling business. And I'm pretty sure it was an accident. Hell it took months to get Obama to cross his heart of wear a flag on his lapel.

I am truly sorry to hear about your dad's passing. You have my condolences.

I can empathize with your predicament. My dad passed on a few years ago ...and, it has been a difficult emotional ride.

I am naturalized US citizen, and it irks me that folks have these pre-conceived notion about treating the flag and patriotism. Flags do get dropped, it's the intention that counts. Was it done deliberately to be disrepectful? I don't think so.

Mike hadn't handled the flag and didn't know what to do with it ... once the kick-off was about to take place.

-----------

Now here is the irony! At one time, when you were naturalize as a US citizen, you were given an official flag. This is no longer the case. If the flag serves such a big fabric of being American ... why get rid of this policy?

If he keeps beasting out, I couldn't care less if he dropped trou at the 50 and took a huge dump on it.

I agree with the majority of posters, hopefully he learned a lesson, lets move on.

The post I quoted is very idiotic and very disrespectful, hopefully one day you will learn to put OUR country in front of the Redskins and their players.

The flag represents a lot of things, many people have died fighting under those colors so you can have the right to make ignorant statements like these. You should apprecite that instead of encouraging disrespect.

I agree with the majority of posters, hopefully he learned a lesson, lets move on.

The post I quoted is very idiotic and very disrespectful, hopefully one day you will learn to put OUR country in front of the Redskins and their players.

The flag represents a lot of things, many people have died fighting under those colors so you can have the right to make ignorant statements like these. You should apprecite that instead of encouraging disrespect.

Thank you for correcting me. Please let me know what other views I should hold regarding free speech and the importance of national symbols over the expression of the ideals that the symbols represent. I look forward to being informed into the correct position on these things.

Regards!

Archived