Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider: Campbell's "Just Weathering the Storm'

Avic

per Redskin's Insider:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/campbells-just-weathering-the.html#more

Campbell's 'Just Weathering the Storm'

Although the regular season has not started, the heat already is intense on Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell. The media and fans have dissected Campbell's performance, and there still are two weeks remaining in the preseason.

"Right now, a lot of negative things are out there that are outweighing the positive," Campbell said today. "I know what's going on."

Campbell has the second-most high-profile gig in the area (President Obama still holds the top spot, though some Redskins fans might disagree), but the scrutiny he has faced after playing five series spanning two games seems somewhat ridiculous. As the main writer on Redskins games for our print edition, I focused on Campbell's outing in Saturday's 17-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field. He went 1 for 7 for only 10 yards as the first-team offense failed to score a touchdown for the second time in as many games. Those are the facts.

"I'm very confident and just weathering the storm at the moment," Campbell said. "I know that things will begin to happen."

I offered some perspective, I hope, by pointing out it is only the preseason. After the game, Coach Jim Zorn and Campbell explained Campbell made correct decisions in throwing away two passes on screens the Steelers read well.

Campbell was not in sync with wide receivers Santana Moss and Malcolm Kelly on deep balls, but again, that's why they play the preseason (and also so the league can make more money). After playing about the equivalent of a half in two games, Campbell has completed 30.8 percent of his passes and has a passer rating of 43.1. Obviously, those aren't pretty numbers.

"I watch film," Campbell said, "and for someone to think that I would want to be one for seven is crazy."

There's a lot at play here with the reaction to Campbell's performance and that of the first-team offense. The Redskins produced an average of only 16.6 points - ranking 28th in the 32-team league - last season. In the offseason, owner Daniel Snyder tried to trade for former Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler and considered drafting former Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez, whom the New York Jets selected with the fifth overall pick.

*Click Link for Rest*

Well, I hope JC produces as much as his talk leads me to believe. The fact he can't hit players mid stride CONSISTANTLY since he has been in the league discourages me. You have a guy like Flacco who is his second year in the LEAGUE and is doing it much better.

JC's accuracy is the biggest issue. I believe his decision making has gotten better.

People are just wishful thinking. They say "it's only preseason" because it makes them feel better about our chances. I've seen enough of JC to come to the conclusion that he's not very good.

Wow!

This is a surprise post from you!

Incredible.

You're the one with the inflated post count. But anyway, I really don't care what JC says, I want to see what he does.

Super.

I'll tell you what... I'm willing to suspend all posts about JC until the end of the season.

How about you?

"I watch film," Campbell said, "and for someone to think that I would want to be one for seven is crazy."
I am and have always been in Campbell's corner. I wish him the very best at leading our team to a championship.

But, I hate when players make comments on subjects that don't even exsist.

Who in the world ever said that Campbell "would want to be one for seven"?:doh:

I don't know, maybe I'm taking the comment wrong.

That 6-2 start that everybody seems to give JC credit for was won on the ground. JC had a couple of good passes that got us out of a hole but leading us to a 6-2 record?

I tend to think Portis and our offensive line blocking earned that rite. Not our passing game.

I am and have always been in Campbell's corner. I wish him the very best at leading our team to a championship.

But, I hate when players make comments on subjects that don't even exsist.

Who in the world ever said that Campbell "would want to be one for seven"?:doh:

I don't know, maybe I'm taking the comment wrong.

youre not taking it wrong at all. its clear hes in a corner and doesnt know what to say. notice how he didnt come out and just admit he played badly, he has to say "who thinks i would want to be one for seven?".

plenty of others have seen that as well.

and mark sanchez threw a TD against the ravens starters. lol

Do you really wanna go down this road? Because I can list 5 starters for the Ravens that were on the bench at the time Sanchez lead the TD drive. The biggest being Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and Ngata. But continue with the blind, factless bashing of Campbell you have become know for.

Archived