Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider: Campbell's "Just Weathering the Storm'

Avic

shoulda coulda woulda

we didnt.

hilarious now you wanna pin the reason we didnt get to the playoffs on our #4 ranked defense. so awesome.

They didn't do enough. The league is afraid of Campbell, but that Defense... man, they just couldn't hold up their end.

shoulda coulda woulda

we didnt.

hilarious now you wanna pin the reason we didnt get to the playoffs on our #4 ranked defense. so awesome.

its hlarious stats only matter to you when they prove your point. yea we had a #4 ranked defense but they couldn't get off the field in games when it mattered most (last drive of the game) and it cost us games.

same thing could be said for JC. his stats aren't nearly as bad as you make them sound, but that doesn't matter b/c at times when it mattered most he couldn't always get the job done.

did or did sellers not fumble on the goal line?

Yes he did. And if he doesn't we might have tied the Bengals.

Campbell's 167 yards and 1TD were all that we could possibly ask from him against one of the worst teams in the NFL. He was outplayed by Ryan Fitzpatrick that day. That is beyond sad.

did or did sellers not fumble on the goal line?

actually he didnt, it was a terrible call and should have been blown dead. but lets take a stroll down memory lane shall we?

that play happened with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. and you might ask yourself, how many chances did campbell have to lead us to another TD? and id answer 3. 3 more possessions to get something done. heres how those turned out:

6 plays 19 yards - PUNT

6 plays 17 yards - PUNT

3 plays 0 yards - FG

oh, and after that heres campbells stat line when we needed him to step up the most:

4/8 32 yards 0 TD, 0 INT

32 yards on three drives. 32 yards. thats a good pass for phillip rivers. LOL

the reason we had any chance at all to make the playoffs last season is because we had the number 4 defense..

pitt's offense ain't all that good either.. (although Ben is always able to make the big play when it counts)... but they had the number 1 defense.

only difference between us and Pitt last year..

ben can make the big play when it counts.. (he's good in the red zone)

Jason doesn't

and their defense created turnovers and QB pressure

ours didn't

we fixed one thing... not the other.

brunell threw 23 TDs in 05 the last time we had a really good offense.

7 were to sellers in the redzone, who is still on the team.

7 were to cooley in the redzone, who is still on the team.

3 were to moss in the redzone, who is still on the team

thats 17 TDs in the redzone to guys that are all still on the team. if mark brunell can throw TDs in the redzone to these guys, why cant campbell?

and of course you cant find any comments about JC.

Gotta say I really liked this breakdown, wanted to look at it more from both sides. To me 17 out of 23 passing TDs in the RZ classifies the passing attack as not a deep threat, but very effective in close. 7 TDs to Sellers in the RZ - that's just gross. Without any more data, that screams play-action working like a champ, and plays most likely run from inside the 5. While that means Brunell is selling the fake, and the D respects the run, it also means your pass pro is good enough to send Sellers out. To be fair and balanced, I'd like to see how many attempts Campbell made inside the 5 last season, and how many went to Sellers, and maybe how many he stayed in to block during.

One other request BLC if possible - do you have access to find out if any of these TDs were on rollouts? That's just another forgotten aspect of football so far in this offense. Don't know if that's not in the playbook, or if Zorn doesn't think Jason can do it... but I'd like to know if Brunell & Gibbs used it in 05.

They didn't do enough. The league is afraid of Campbell, but that Defense... man, they just couldn't hold up their end.

the defense is so bad, how did they hold the cowboys, a team that scores 22 points per game, to 14 points? we need to blow up the defense, if theyre gonna keep blowing games like this for campbell we need to improve here.

not to mention that two of the games we "blew in the 4th" were on FG at the buzzer. the only legit game was the cowboys game where we let barber run all over us, yet scoring 10 points should have been enough for some of you.

Gotta say I really liked this breakdown, wanted to look at it more from both sides. To me 17 out of 23 passing TDs in the RZ classifies the passing attack as not a deep threat, but very effective in close. 7 TDs to Sellers in the RZ - that's just gross. Without any more data, that screams play-action working like a champ, and plays most likely run from inside the 5. While that means Brunell is selling the fake, and the D respects the run, it also means your pass pro is good enough to send Sellers out. To be fair and balanced, I'd like to see how many attempts Campbell made inside the 5 last season, and how many went to Sellers, and maybe how many he stayed in to block during.

One other request BLC if possible - do you have access to find out if any of these TDs were on rollouts? That's just another forgotten aspect of football so far in this offense. Don't know if that's not in the playbook, or if Zorn doesn't think Jason can do it... but I'd like to know if Brunell & Gibbs used it in 05.

couldnt tell you about the roll outs, but moss caught 6 of his 9 TDs on bombs, 5 from brunell 1 from ramsey when he came in during the 2nd giants game.

brunell also hit two more TDs, both in the RZ if i remember correctly, one to royal and one to betts. and portis threw one TD that season dont remember who it was to, so brunell had i think 18 RZ TDs in total.

Archived