Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wex: Colt vs Chase/The 'big' man on campus

PCS

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Colt-vs-Chase-54632162.html

Got a story running tomorrow about Chase Daniel and Colt Brennan.

Here are a few thoughts on their competition.

1. Chase Daniel is not ready to be on a 53-man roster.

I like the kid a lot; has a toughness to him and he knows that all he's done is have a good series or two. He's humble. He hasn't exactly lit it up on the practice field, either. Daniel has a decent arm, but nobody knows yet whether he can stand in the pocket and read a defense. If you put him on a practice squad, nobody likely would claim him.

2. Daniel's size hurts him.

I'm about 5-foot-10 in my shoes; it feels like I'm looking straight at Daniel's eyes during interviews. The Redskins insist he's 6-feet; that's what he was measured at the combine. But there's no one who has interviewed him who buys that height. Daniel deserves a ton of credit for making it this far given his stature. But it would be an issue in the NFL. He would not have big passing lanes to look through. He's also not the athlete Doug Flutie was, though he did have a nice run the other night.

---------------

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/The-_big_-man-on-campus-8152211-54636562.html

The 'big' man on campus

By: John Keim

Examiner Staff Writer

August 25, 2009

Daniel is giving Colt a scare for No. 3 QB job

ASHBURN - The newest hot quarterback stood off to the side, answering questions about: how many text messages he got; if he understands the fuss being made over him; if he can win a roster spot. Four cameras pointed at him; another five or so reporters gathered around Chase Daniel. The new "It" guy.

Meanwhile, the old hot quarterback was forced to answer questions about his sputtering preseason. A couple reporters gathered around Colt Brennan. Is he now the old "It" guy?

Saturday, Daniel, the undrafted free agent, made his preseason debut completing six of eight passes for 58 yards and two touchdowns.

Meanwhile, Brennan completed three of five passes with one ill-advised pass that was intercepted. And in his first game he posted a 10.1 passer rating.

All of which means there's a developing battle for the No. 3 quarterback job, once thought to be secured by Brennan. It still may be, but it's not a gimme.

"It will be a hard decision," Redskins coach Jim Zorn said.

*Click links for rest*

"The first two weeks didn't go the way I wanted them to," Brennan said. "I won't let that deter me or discourage me at all. I have two more opportunities to make something happen. That's what preseason is about. You go in and have two great drives and that's all everyone gets to see and that's all everyone comments on. If I have a good drive and throw a pick, everyone remembers the pick.

Uh, really Colt? Because last year everyone was in love with you because of those two great drives that are clearly a shot at Daniel. As for the last sentence, welcome to the NFL. Man up.

Still ****y even when it's inarguable that he doesn't deserve to be so.

I think the love affair with Chase is more of a reflection of how the media/fans in the this area loves the backup QB and under values the starter. I mean wasn't it just last year that folks were calling for Colt to start after having a similiar outing as Chase. Or what about when Campbell was throwing TDs to Farris when Brunnel was starting. Or when Brunnel was destroying second stringers when Ramsey was the starter. It's actually pretty funny to watch.

Spot on.

When Brennan actually accomplishes something, then I won't mind the swagga. Until then, it should be put up or shut up.

It's pretty obvious you don't know Colt very well, so you think he's being ****y. Well, I don't know you very well and you come off as being pretty ****y as well. Does that make you a person I don't want to get to know? Not at all. Trying doing some more research on Colt. Try running into Colt in the public and see if he is as ****y as you say he is. You'll find out that he isn't and that he'll give you the time of day. I can point out a few people that have met Colt, even more that have seen Colt do more with his actions than actually talk about his actions. Seems that you're more pissed at the Cult than you are about Colt.

I think the love affair with Chase is more of a reflection of how the media/fans in the this area loves the backup QB and under values the starter. I mean wasn't it just last year that folks were calling for Colt to start after having a similiar outing as Chase. Or what about when Campbell was throwing TDs to Farris when Brunnel was starting. Or when Brunnel was destroying second stringers when Ramsey was the starter. It's actually pretty funny to watch.

pretty much what you said couldn't be closer to the truth.

It's pretty obvious you don't know Colt very well, so you think he's being ****y. Well, I don't know you very well and you come off as being pretty ****y as well. Does that make you a person I don't want to get to know? Not at all. Trying doing some more research on Colt. Try running into Colt in the public and see if he is as ****y as you say he is. You'll find out that he isn't and that he'll give you the time of day. I can point out a few people that have met Colt, even more that have seen Colt done more with his actions than actually talk about his actions. Seems that you're more pissed at the Cult than you are about Colt.

I don't care about the Cult. It's not very high on my "things i'm pissed off at" list.

But I'll tell you what does piss me off. People that obviously can't be objective but yet post like they are.

Let's be real, okay? You attacked me because I said something negative about Colt.

Of course I don't know Colt very well. He's a football player. I don't know him personally. Do you?

I made the judgment he's ****y because there have been plenty of times when he's demonstrated a certain type of "swagga". Especially after last year in the preseason. A certain level of that is okay but if you want to take this somewhere, we can look at the Cult and a majority of the posters elude to this ****iness in their posts. It's way over the line of being acceptable and okay.

Isn't that ironic?

When Colt demonstrates something in a regular season game, then he will have every right to boast. Until then he really doesn't have a right.

You say ****y, I say confidence.

Also, don't forget Keim's comment about the kid:

"He is not a difficult guy to deal with by any means"

Confidence is fine, but is it really necessary for Colt to take what seems like a shot at Daniel for playing well and then in the next sentence talking about his crappy play in the prior preseason game and allude to it as actually GOOD play but it was just that people only remember the INTs?

Confidence is fine, but is it really necessary for Colt to take what seems like a shot at Daniel for playing well and then in the next sentence talking about his crappy play in the prior preseason game and allude to it as actually GOOD play but it was just that people only remember the INTs?

I don't see why you folks think what Colt said to Keim is some kind of disguised "shot" at Chase. What Colt said is what everyone already knows which is people generally remember TDs and INTs.

By the way, in case you missed it, this is what Colt said about Chase:

“He did a great job man. He made that first completion, you could see him start to gain his confidence and everything, and then all of a sudden he hit a couple more completions and he found some rhythm and he was rolling. And then by the time we got that turnover, he was just pounding it in there, so it was a good thing for Chase. For his first game, that’s a great feeling.

The Chase support is driven more by the JC support faction as payback for the Cult of Colt' date=' Daniels is not an NFL QB, he's just a convenient thorn in the side of the Cult for the time being. Daniels ain't happening mark it down![/quote']

Exactly. The JC apologists automatically hate Colt b/c there are people who support him. So in turn, they support Daniel and root against Brennan. It's really pretty childish. Mark me down as hopeful that any of our QBs are the right guy, but also that I don't believe any of them are. If only we had gotten Cutler...

All I know is Colt should look better than Chase but that hasn't been the case. I hope Chase makes the practice squad because he has potential to be our 2 oe 3 next year. Collins will not return. I am a little disappointed that Colt has not been more effective after a year with Zorn and training camp.

Exactly. The JC apologists automatically hate Colt b/c there are people who support him. So in turn, they support Daniel and root against Brennan. It's really pretty childish. Mark me down as hopeful that any of our QBs are the right guy, but also that I don't believe any of them are. If only we had gotten Cutler...

i kinda get this vibe as well. the guy has played 1 preseason game and already he needs to oust colt? not buying it.

colt will be the 3rd string. hes got too much potential to just can because a 5'10 QB had a good preseason game.

Mark me down as one that believes it's all childish. Like I mentioned in my previous post we (as Skins fans) have an obsession with the backup qb. It feels like it will never end.

Doesn't anyone else find it extremely silly that we even care who the third Qb is? The sad part is that these silly debates (that by the way mean nothing since we have no say in depth charts or roster spots) dominate ES on a regular and somehow every thread you read comes back to the same debates.

I swear it gets harder and harder to defend Skins fans to other team's fans these days. We sound a lot like how they say we are ...

Archived