Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider on QB situation

hitmandm

ESPN has new info on the QB situation- both Chase and Campbell. Can anyone who is an insider please post. It seems new info is out today.

nothing exciting

While the Washington Redskins seem set on their No. 1 and 2 QB's for 2009, they have two former college standouts competing for the all-important No. 3 slot.

As per USA Today, undrafted rookie Chase Daniel is "right in the mix" with Colt Brennan in the hunt to back up Jason Campbell and Todd Collins. Daniel was thought to be too short to excel at the NFL level, but he led the team to two second-half scores on Saturday night as the 'Skins upended the Steelers.

Matt Mosley

Daniel has the edge

"Daniel had a really effective outing [against Pittsburgh]. I think he has the edge on Colt Brennan at this point. And yes, I know that hurts at lot of you guys."

I think it would be great to keep them both, but I think thesafer bet is keeping Chase and throwing Brennan on the practice squad.

Not because he's bad either, but more because I think he is safer out there than Chase would be. Teams just were not interested in Brennan and this years performance has been very lackluster compared to last year...

you never know, but I think both would be safe on the practice squad... hard to tell from just preseason, but it would be nice if zorn and staff felt they both had potential and we could keep them in the system for at least another year... I just can't see a team signing colt or chase to their active roster based on the tape out there...

I think it would be great to keep them both, but I think thesafer bet is keeping Chase and throwing Brennan on the practice squad.

Not because he's bad either, but more because I think he is safer out there than Chase would be. Teams just were not interested in Brennan and this years performance has been very lackluster compared to last year...

I would think just the opposite. I think CB5 would get picked up faster off a practice squad or if he was released than Daniel simply because of his size and history.

HTTR

Can Brennan go on the practice squad? I really don't think so, but I could be wrong on that.

Depends. If Brennan shows up against the Patriots like he has the last couple of games, he's pretty much done I think. If he has a somewhat decent outing (let's say, doesn't throw a dumb interception this time) then he could keep the spot and Chase would hit the practice squad.

Personally, I think Chase has more upside as a back up.

Na. If you're on the active roster for more than 6 games in a season you can't go. So it would have to be Daniel and he would have to clear waivers.

Understtod. But does that number "reset" every year, or do they count the prior season.

I think it would be a serious overlooking of league rules if you have to be "stuck" with an inferior player (clearly not the case here... just using the term for reference) just becasue he was on the team and did not play a single down the year prior. IDK... Call me stupid I guess.

Understtod. But does that number "reset" every year, or do they count the prior season.

I think it would be a serious overlooking of league rules if you have to be "stuck" with an inferior player (clearly not the case here... just using the term for reference) just becasue he was on the team and did not play a single down the year prior. IDK... Call me stupid I guess.

I'm pretty sure it's in any season in the guys career.

Na. If you're on the active roster for more than 6 games in a season you can't go. So it would have to be Daniel and he would have to clear waivers.

I think that;s active active roster. As in more than the emergency QB

That was what I thought, thanks.

Just looked it up for clarity's sake (at least this was the way it was in 2007, and I assume it hasn't changed since then):

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1764&t=1186834

8-man Practice Squad:

After all teams have set their 53-man rosters prior to opening day and each team has passed 24-hours on acquiring the contracts of every other player waived by the other 31 NFL teams, each team may sign up to 8 players to occupy its developmental Practice Squad. These players practice with their teams but cannot dress on game days.

Further, any other team may claim a team's PS player on waivers at any given time during the season -- the only stipulation to this is that the team signing the PS player must immediately add that player to its 53-man roster.

A player is elibible for the PS if he:

• Has no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL
  • has one prior Accrued Season in which he was on the 45-man active roster for no more than 8 games
  • Has been on the PS with the particular team no more than 2 prior seasons

-- Important related definitions:

* Accrued NFL Season:

6 or more regular-season games in one season in which a player is on the 53-man protected roster, IR list or PUP list

So no, doesn't sound like Colt could be on our practice squad.

Either you put Chase on the PS or you trade Jason.
Or...this may be hard to believe for a 3rd string QB and his devoted following- you just cut Brennan.

The NFL is ruled by stupidity when it comes to QB's. They have a prototype in their heads and the problem is they are wrong as often as they are right on who they think will be good. Everyone knows the Tom Brady story but look around the league, for every Eli Manning you have a Derek Anderson (currently beating Golden boy out of a job). Guys that can play that no one thought would amount to much. Doug Flutie was "too short" but had we had him throughout his career we wouldn't have had the 15 years of hell we've suffered through.

Drew Brees 2nd round, 6 foot 0 and shorter than Chase Daniel.

Mark Bulger 6th round draft pick.

Matt Hasselbeck 6th round

Tom Brady 7th round.

Jake Delhomme undrafted.

Tony Romo sits to pee undrafted.

David Garrard 4th round.

Matt Schaub 3rd round

The QB position is the only position in the league where unless the teams already think you will be good, you simply will never get a chance to prove yourself. If some useless scout decided you wouldn't be a good NFL QB preseason won't get you on the field in the regular season. Some guy has to be hit by a car for you to get a chance. Here is an idea, if the kid looks good forget all the bull**** and give him a shot. You might have another Drew Brees on your hands.

Forget it ... Skins would be retarded to let either CB or CD go in favor of a "lame duck" underachiever and a 38 year old graybeard.

exactly. Chase Daniels is NOT going to start and NOT going to play this season. WE all know this and Zorn does too and Zorn cannot cut Colt because Vinnie will take the heat for wasting another draft pick.

Some of us knew at the beginning of this camp that Campbell is number one, Collins is going to be number 2, Colt is going to be number 3, and Chase will go to the practice squad.

Thats already a done deal and it doesn't matter what Zorn says, it doesn't matter about smoke and mirrors, and it doesn't matter if Chase throws 4 more TD passes. Thats just the way it is. Book it.

FWIW I believe that Colt could qualify for the PS because I don't know that he was ever on the 45 man game day roster last year. He was always the designated 3rd QB, which means he was "technically" one of the inactives, or more appropriately the 46th man.

Archived