Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CarFax. Do you trust it?

rdsknbill

Hey folks.

I am currently looking for a "beater" car for my son to take to college in a few weeks. I have a few leads on a few vehicles on the radar.

I spent the 35 bucks for 10 car fax reports. The one thing that I noticed was that there is alot of holes in their reports. For instance, I looked at a 1998 Honda Accord. It showed all of the service up to 2003, then that it was sold. After that the next thing on the report was "Passed emissions. Registered" in 2009. Also the mileage goes up 45k. So where the hell was this car for the last 6 years?

Is it me, or if you take your vehicle to some "Joe Schmoe" guy, it won't end up on a Car Fax report?

I guess my question is. Did I waste my money? Is Carfax worth a ****?

thanks in advance for the input

If you take it to Joe Schmo and you claim it on your insurance to pay for it then it pops up on CarFax, but if you're buying a clunker then you're probably not to worried about whether its had some major work done.

I for one get a CarFax and if the dealer doesn't already provide one for the car then I walk, CarFax is the cost of doing business anymore.

Anything in the carfax has to be reported at some time. So if you got into an accident and didn't report it and just fixed it yourself how would they know?

I had a '99 Accord that I had an accident in. I took it to a body shop for the work to be done and paid cash to fix it. I traded that car in for a new Altima a year or so later (not the newest model but the last one), and it never showed up on any Carfax report.

I think CarFax is good to get some additional information that you may not otherwise have. You have that gap in service but you at least have some of the history of the vehicle that way. Getting the CarFax on my car which I bought used let me know it was used as a rental car. It was not used as one for long so I figured I was ok. Thankfully no problems so far and I have put over 60,000 more miles on it since I got it. Good luck!

Hey folks.

I am currently looking for a "beater" car for my son to take to college in a few weeks. I have a few leads on a few vehicles on the radar.

I spent the 35 bucks for 10 car fax reports. The one thing that I noticed was that there is alot of holes in their reports. For instance, I looked at a 1998 Honda Accord. It showed all of the service up to 2003, then that it was sold. After that the next thing on the report was "Passed emissions. Registered" in 2009. Also the mileage goes up 45k. So where the hell was this car for the last 6 years?

Is it me, or if you take your vehicle to some "Joe Schmoe" guy, it won't end up on a Car Fax report?

I guess my question is. Did I waste my money? Is Carfax worth a ****?

thanks in advance for the input

The gap you're seeing is likely due to the previous owner doing their own routine maintenance on the vehicle. You're only going to see history on the vehicle where the VIN was recorded.

Buy a nice clunker for a grand then trade it in for a new one in the cash for clunkers thing so you can get $4,500 dollars for it.

He would have to own and license it for a year a year before he could qualify. ;) Our politicians may not be all that brilliant but they can certainly outwit the local village idiot.:D

I crashed my car into Westmoreland circle a few years ago. Needed four new rims/tires and the chassis was ****ed. I was told that the car would never be the same and it hasn't been. The steering and handling are always a little off and the car vibrates more. Because it was a one car accident that I didn't file a claim on, it won't show up on carfax. Great for me, awful for whoever buys my car(I'll likely trade it in). In short, carfax is absolutely useless and will only give you false confidence.

Purpose of this vehicle is to get him THROUGH 4 years of college.

Carfax is a good tool for that but if you know someone that is a mechanic that can look at it for you, that is a much better tool. Thankfully I know a lot of them and can always get someone to check out a used car for me.

In short' date=' carfax is absolutely useless and will only give you false confidence.[/quote']

Wrong, CarFax will only give you false confidence if you think it will actually reveal everything about the car. If you know what CarFax will tell you then you are able to take the information that it does give and work from there. Ergo CarFax useful.

Case in point, via a CarFax I can tell if a car has had any reported incidents, I can also tell if it was imported from Canada or another country, and I can tell if it was used as a rental car, further I can tell how many owners it has had. All of which is very useful information that I would not have had if not for the CarFax thus giving me more information to base my decision on.

Wrong, CarFax will only give you false confidence if you think it will actually reveal everything about the car. If you know what CarFax will tell you then you are able to take the information that it does give and work from there. Ergo CarFax useful.

Case in point, via a CarFax I can tell if a car has had any reported incidents, I can also tell if it was imported from Canada or another country, and I can tell if it was used as a rental car, further I can tell how many owners it has had. All of which is very useful information that I would not have had if not for the CarFax thus giving me more information to base my decision on.

That reason alone makes CarFax worth it.

IMO, all the things you mentioned carfax provides are useless and misleading. The only thing that should affect ones decision when buying a used car is what their mechanic says about it after they have him check it out. It shouldn't matter whether it was a rental or from Nova Scotia. I realize why you think it should, renters tend to drive the car harder, weather in Canada is murder on cars, but the reality is each car is different and nothing in a carfax report will tell you anything of value. The only valuable opinion is that of the mechanic doing the inspection. Let him give you a value and don't pay a penny more.

IMO' date=' all the things you mentioned carfax provides are useless and misleading. The only thing that should affect ones decision when buying a used car is what their mechanic says about it after they have him check it out. It shouldn't matter whether it was a rental or from Nova Scotia. I realize why you think it should, renters tend to drive the car harder, weather in Canada is murder on cars, but the reality is each car is different and nothing in a carfax report will tell you anything of value. The only valuable opinion is that of the mechanic doing the inspection. Let him give you a value and don't pay a penny more.[/quote']

Sooo....you're arguing that information is useless...sorry but my mechanic asks me "Where's the CarFax?"

Insurance companies DO NOT report accident repairs to CarFax, therefore your odds of finding out about a car that was involved in an accident is slim to none unless it was a total loss.

CarFax is good for public record info such as transfers of ownership via DMVs and salvage title info. Odometer readings are usually recorded at transfer so this can help as well.

From CarFax.com...

CARFAX Vehicle History Data SourcesCARFAX® receives data from more than 20,000 different sources including every U.S. and Canadian provincial motor vehicle agency plus many police and fire departments, collision repair facilities, auto auctions, and more.

The CARFAX database is the most comprehensive vehicle history database in North America, containing over 6 billion records. Records included in each CARFAX Report reveal important information about a car's history, such as an odometer reading, existence of a branded title such as a salvage/junk title, or past registration as a fleet vehicle. A CARFAX Report may not include every event in a vehicle's history, but will include the data that is reported to CARFAX for a specific vehicle identification number (VIN).

Before you buy a used car, we recommend that you get a CARFAX Report, take a test drive, and have the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic.

The following list represents some of the many types of data sources that currently report information to CARFAX.

Data source Types of data provided to CARFAX How the data can help you make a

better used car buying decision

U.S. motor vehicle agencies • Branded titles, includingsalvage/junk, flood and more

• Truth in Mileage Act (TIMA) certified odometer readings

• Manufacturer buybacks or lemon titles

• Registration records, including original vehicle use and city/state where the vehicle was registered

• Accident damage reports

• Stolen vehicles

• Ownership transfers

• Lien information • Identify problem titles

• Uncover potential odometer fraud

• Learn estimated number of owners

• Learn where the vehicle has been registered

• Identify how the vehicle may have been used (rental, taxi,lease, etc.)

• Uncover past accidents

Canadian provincial motor vehicle agencies • Vehicle registrations

• Problem brands

• Odometer readings

• Ownership transfers • Find cross-border activity

• Identify problem brands

• Learn estimated number of owners

Auto auctions • Odometer readings • Uncover potential odometer fraud

Collision repair facilities Accident indicators, including:

• Structural/frame damage

• Collision repair history • Uncover past accidents that resulted in repairs

Service/ maintenance facilities • Service or maintenance records including dates and services offered • Learn maintenance history

• See where the car has been serviced

Insurance companies • Total loss vehicles

• Stolen vehicles • Identify accidents which may not have resulted in salvage/junk titles

Salvage auctions • Salvaged vehicles

• Vehicles sold at auction • Identify salvaged cars that may not have been assigned salvage titles by motor vehicle agencies

Automotive recyclers • Recycled parts that were requested for a repair • Uncover major maintenance repairs

• Identify damage events that may not have been reported to law enforcement agencies or insurance companies

Rental/fleet vehicle companies • Total loss and damage history

• Maintenance/service history • Learn damage history

• Learn repair/maintenance history

State inspection stations • Odometer readings

• Location of inspection site

• Pass/fail safety and emissions inspection status

• Inspection details • Uncover potential odometer fraud

• Identify vehicle driving patterns

• Identify compliance problems

Extended warranty companies • Major repair and maintenance history • Learn repair/maintenance history

Fire departments • Fire damage reports from across the U.S. • Identify vehicles damaged in fire incidents

Manufacturers • Open recalls

• Certified pre-owned (CPO) vehicles

• Service and maintenance history

• Courtesy buybacks • Identify recalls that need to be completed

• Identify vehicles inspected and certified by manufacturers

• Learn maintenance history

Law enforcement agencies • Stolen vehicle records

• Police department accident reports (various state and local jurisdictions) • Identify stolen vehicles

• Uncover past accidents

Car dealerships • Vehicles offered for sale

• Odometer readings • Uncover potential odometer fraud

• Learn odometer history

Import/export companies • Vehicle transfers and locations

• Compliance dates • Identify out-of-country history

• Verify emissions standards compliance

CARFAX does not have the complete history of every vehicle. A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about the vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use a Vehicle History Report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about a used car.

* Do CARFAX Vehicle History Reports have information about accidents?

Yes. If an accident has been reported to CARFAX it will be included in the CARFAX Vehicle History Report. CARFAX reports have information about accidents in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Canada. We guarantee we will have information about the most severe accidents, ones for which the states or provinces have issued a branded title. We also have the largest publicly accessible database of less severe accidents which we have compiled from thousands of sources.

However, we do not have all accidents as many have never been reported, or may only have been reported to a source to which CARFAX does not have access. We recommend that any car be inspected by a qualified mechanic prior to purchase to make sure the vehicle is functioning properly and check for signs of unreported damage.

* I know this vehicle has had an accident. Why isn't it listed on the CARFAX Report?

CARFAX compiles the CARFAX Vehicle History Report from information it receives from thousands of sources. As extensive as our database is, we do not have all accidents as many have never been reported, or may only have been reported to a source to which CARFAX does not have access.

If you know a vehicle was involved in an accident and it is not on the CARFAX Vehicle History Report, please take a minute to let us know about it by emailing us through the "Email CARFAX" tab above.

* Does CARFAX get total loss data from insurance companies?

Yes. Some insurance companies report total loss information to CARFAX.

CARFAX also uses other sources to determine if a vehicle was declared a total loss by an insurance company

I repair wrecks and never report them...not my job.

Carfax has it's uses as well as big holes

If you want a good idea about a car ,have a company inspect and certify it.(but even that is not foolproof)

Archived