Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld via PFT: Jason Campbell Taking Control "Like Never Before"

KDawg

Well, we disagree. I've coached kids in three sports and I've managed people in business. I've yet to meet the person who didn't respond better to calm, courteous criticism.

Respond better? Sure.

Produce better afterwards? Different ball game.

If you are calm and courteous to me, I'll like you a whole hell of a lot more. But I also won't give a crap what you said. If I'm being lazy and you come up to me playing all nice, I really won't care what you have to say.

Business settings are different than athletic settings as well.

But yes, we disagree. As per usual :P

Well, we disagree. I've coached kids in three sports and I've managed people in business. I've yet to meet the person who didn't respond better to calm, courteous criticism.

I've also coached youth football. Your method may work, but it doesn't hurt to yell at a player who is making the same mistake over and over again. When a coach uses that player as an example the other players take note and try to avoid making that mistake.

I just see your method as a way of nurturing a player in what is a tough physical sport and see it as counter productive. At least when it comes to football.

If he does half what I think he can do we'll have ourselves a recognised franchise QB. Year 3 in the WCO is when QBs usually make the big jump iirc. JC doing it in year 2 will be an indication of how good he will be in that year 3 after we do a DL on our OL, so to speak.

I think our 3 2nd round pass catchers are going to make that draft look good down the road. Tryon and Moore are also supposed to be looking good and we all know about Horton. And to think we've had the same guys in our FO for a long time....

JC stepping up allows us to properly work on our OL. All this team needs is 3 or 4 high picks on the OL over the next 2 years and we are in for a sustained period of good football

Very fair assessment I hope your right

Sounds like he's doing a little bit more of what most of you think he has to do. Let's just hope it carries over.

Personally i think Campbell was already a leader, but it seems the franchise wants more vocal visible leadership.

I think Campbell is answering the call to be more of a leader.

But, it was probably hard to be vocal leader when everything was new.

The offense was new, the HC/playcaller was a rookie, the OC was rookie.

Essentially the leaders of the offense coaching staff were rookies learning the ropes.

And a QB looks to them for his confidence.

Imo, this outward display of leadership is the result of Jason taking more ownership of the team because he's is more comfortable in the offense.

This comfort is partially due to Jason being in the second year of the offense and from the coaches experience from last year in installing and teaching the offense.

“As we were installing everything, as we were getting to know each other, I was really teaching the offensive coaches our offense still, as well as the players,” Zorn said. “This year, there’s a different type of preparation.”

For Zorn, it's optimism laced with uncertaintyicon_offsite.png

11 hrs ago | Tacoma News Tribune

“Our players and coaches are much more knowledgeable in our offense this year. As the head football coach, last year I put in most of the offense, but this year [offensive coordinator] Sherman Smith is putting in more of the offense.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/As_New_Season_Dawns__Zorn_Seeks_to_Elevate_Redskins_44575.jsp

December 13, 2007

Campbell might be more of a born leader than some quarterbacks.

"He takes charge of things," the secondary coach said. "You don't see other guys in the huddle saying, 'Let's do this, let's do that.' They have some veteran guys. He carries himself that way. I'd be willing to bet he has good leadership ability."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3142771

JC is poised to have a very big year, if a.) The offensive line holds up and can actually give him time to throw. b.) Another reciever steps up to fill the role behind Santana and Cooley. Last year the o line crumbled halfway through the season and teams were double covering Moss. If the line stays healthy(That's a BIG if) and Thomas or Kelly steps up, JC should have a career year, if not Hello Tim Tebow/Sam Bradford.

I've also coached youth football. Your method may work, but it doesn't hurt to yell at a player who is making the same mistake over and over again. When a coach uses that player as an example the other players take note and try to avoid making that mistake.

I just see your method as a way of nurturing a player in what is a tough physical sport and see it as counter productive. At least when it comes to football.

I can only tell you that when I hear a coach screaming at a boy, my impression is that the man lacks self-control. When I see an NFL coach obviously berating a player on the sidelines, my impression is that the man either lacks self-control or he's a phony, putting on a "I'm a hard-case disciplinarian" show for the cameras.

And, as an NFL coach, I sure as hell wouldn't want my QB screaming at a teammate. I'd pull him out and sit him down if he did it.

Leaders who can't perform when it matters the most remind me of General Custer. Until Jason shows on the field during real game day situations against good Defenses he can perform the man's staying in my dog house. Who cares that he's being a leader and grabbing jerseys when the news out of TC is he still sucks performing? All I read out of that is he spent more time working on his leadership skills this offseason and not enough on his mechanics. You can "fake it till you make it" for only so long. I wouldn't let the dude at PFT hustle you, this doesn't mean anything

I dunno, Dawg.

I think this whole "leadership" thing is blown way out of proportion. As a player, I'd feel pretty much like Jon Jansen.

When young Patrick Ramsey came into the huddle with some hoo-rah for the troops, Jansen said "Just shut up and call the play, rookie." He and Ramsey were buddies, so it was said in good humor, but the remark still reflected Jansen's attitude.

As for a QB -- a teammate -- showing anger and publically embarassing me for a mistake, I'd get in the guy's face and threaten to punch him out if he did it again. That's not leadership, for God's sake.

I feel what you're saying Oldfan and I feel like I would do the same.

But, I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe if I were a professional athlete and was part of a team, I might try a little harder to understand what it is that Campbell is trying to do. I might take into consideration the fact that Campbell is really not a natural leader and for the most part is trying something for the very first time in his life. I guess that I would also try to understand why he is doing what he is doing.

See, I say all of this now, but if my boss were to get in my face, grab me and yell...:doh:

I can only tell you that when I hear a coach screaming at a boy, my impression is that the man lacks self-control. When I see an NFL coach obviously berating a player on the sidelines, my impression is that the man either lacks self-control or he's a phony, putting on a "I'm a hard-case disciplinarian" show for the cameras.

And, as an NFL coach, I sure as hell wouldn't want my QB screaming at a teammate. I'd pull him out and sit him down if he did it.

Manning and Brady call out their teammates when they are ****ing up, but they have earned that right because they've proven that they are competent in their craft and know what they're doing. Calling someone out and being an ass just because you want to give yourself an ego boost is one thing, but calling someone out because they need to be called out is another.

I agree that you can get people to produce without being a hard ass, but these are grown men - not boys. It's not the coaches job to coddle them, it's their job to get them to produce and to win. The confidence will come with the winning.

I feel what you're saying Oldfan and I feel like I would do the same.

But, I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe if I were a professional athlete and was part of a team, I might try a little harder to understand what it is that Campbell is trying to do. I might take into consideration the fact that Campbell is really not a natural leader and for the most part is trying something for the very first time in his life. I guess that I would also try to understand why he is doing what he is doing.

See, I say all of this now, but if my boss were to get in my face, grab me and yell...:doh:

I agree that, because they understand this specific situation, Jason's teammates might cut him more slack. My remarks were focused more on the idea of leadership, in general.

If Jason Campbell wants to be a leader, he has only to watch London Fletcher. Help your teammates get into position, play a solid smart game yourself so that younger players learn by your example, and do it without a lot of mouthing off.

I'll say it again. Football is a physical sport. It's not a desk job. Your boss grabbing you is a hell of alot different.

That said, I don't grab players. Ever. But they grab each other sometimes.

You could say it again and again, I know players grab each other sometimes and I know that football is a physical sport. But, grabbing a player up isn't part of the physicality part of the game.

I played football all my life up to semi-pro, and there were players with wives and children there. That would be a hell of a thing for a kid to see his dad getting gripped up by another man.

I think we may be taking the term "grabbing jerseys" entirely too literally.

In a huddle, most people wouldn't even see it.

It all depends on how it's done. Context DOES matter for these things. And since we don't have context, I guess the guessing work being done by all of us makes sense. But that doesn't mean any of us actually know what happened.

Grabbing someone can be as minute as grabbing the guys facemask, or giving a little tug to his jersey, or slapping him on the helmet.

Or, it could be as major as grabbing a guy and throwing him down. I'd bet Campbell's "grabbing" was closer to the lighter side of things. But, just like you, I don't know.

Manning and Brady call out their teammates when they are ****ing up, but they have earned that right because they've proven that they are competent in their craft and know what they're doing.

Manning and Brady are jerks, in my opinion. Nobody earns the right to be a jerk. They win despite being jerks, not because they are leaders.

I agree that you can get people to produce without being a hard ass, but these are grown men - not boys.

Then treat them like men. Men have pride.

It's not the coaches job to coddle them, it's their job to get them to produce and to win.

Treating people with respect isn't "coddling them."

Manning and Brady are jerks, in my opinion. Nobody earns the right to be a jerk. They win despite being jerks, not because they are leaders.

lol, Manning and Brady aren't leaders? Please.

Then treat them like men. Men have pride.

I can get down with that.

Treating people with respect isn't "coddling them."

Never said that.

CBS Redskin Rapid Response:

August 6 4:34 ET

When TE Fred Davis dropped a pass during 7-on-7, he walked past QB Jason Campbell with his head down. Campbell gave him a firm pat on the backside and Davis' head immediately lifted.

August 6 4:19 ET

QB Jason Campbell has been impressive during 7-on-7 passing drills with his arm, reads and accuracy.

So, apparently JC isn't simply grabbing guys and yelling at them in attempts to be a leader, and believe it or not he's actually able to look good in practice. Helps to have a less myopic view of the players on our favorite team, doesn't it.

CBS Redskin Rapid Response:

August 6 4:34 ET

When TE Fred Davis dropped a pass during 7-on-7, he walked past QB Jason Campbell with his head down. Campbell gave him a firm pat on the backside and Davis' head immediately lifted.

August 6 4:19 ET

QB Jason Campbell has been impressive during 7-on-7 passing drills with his arm, reads and accuracy.

So, apparently JC isn't simply grabbing guys and yelling at them in attempts to be a leader, and believe it or not he's actually able to look good in practice. Helps to have a less myopic view of the players on our favorite team, doesn't it.

Fred Davis: "Did that mf'er just goose me?!?!?!? "

:silly:

Archived