Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld via PFT: Jason Campbell Taking Control "Like Never Before"

KDawg

Here is the point people

Players get more confident in themselves and they become more assertive.

In fact, this is a common trait of many young men in their 20s :)

Think of your first 2-3 years at your job, around age 22-25ish. You kept queit, didn't create much of a stir and learned as much as you could

Once you finally had a bit of expierence and "credit" in the eyes of those around you, you started to assert yourself with your boss and with other people in your workplace

Same thing with JC. Dude is about to be 27, this isn't a surprise. He is more comfortable with the offense and clearly more comfortable with himself in the NFL

I don't believe I ever said anything about Florio one way or the other. But thanks for the contribution.

wasnt saying you ever did at all

just trying to subtly point out that if the article said anything even remotely negative, the thread would be 10 pages deep by now, with 90% of the posts saying 'pft=national enquirer of the nfl'

Here is the point people

Players get more confident in themselves and they become more assertive.

In fact, this is a common trait of many young men in their 20s :)

Think of your first 2-3 years at your job, around age 22-25ish. You kept queit, didn't create much of a stir and learned as much as you could

Once you finally had a bit of expierence and "credit" in the eyes of those around you, you started to assert yourself with your boss and with other people in your workplace

Same thing with JC. Dude is about to be 27, this isn't a surprise. He is more comfortable with the offense and clearly more comfortable with himself in the NFL

Great point. And extremely valid.

And also note that no one is saying that this means Campbell is going to be a monster this year. He still does have to prove it on the field, but doesn't this make you feel just a little bit better? Or would you feel better if he was the same Campbell in the huddle that he has been for years.

But isn't this what alot of people on these forums (not you) wanted? I realize you probably hadn't said that, but it seems Campbell can't win no matter what. He's not doing that and he's not a leader. He does do it, and he's a fake.

What can he do to win you over? Will having a good statistical year make you believe in him? Or is he truly in a can't win situation?

I agree with you KDawg, that people have wanted this from him. And I want something like this from him, but it's more of an intensity, a confidence, an "eye of the tiger" thing, if you will. I haven't been at camp to see it, but from what I read this just sounds like a manufactured action that isn't really who Jason is. The intensity should come secondarily and naturally from a high level of performance and competitiveness. Personally, Jason can win me over by showing he can read the field, find the receiver before he is open and get the ball out fast and to the right spot. We know the offensive line isn't very strong, so the honus will be on him to MAKE things happen when they aren't necessarily easy. When those things happen, he will command the respect of the players in that huddle, they will look to him at crunch time, and then you will see a real leader who is able to exercise authority on the field. Things haven't been easy for Jason, he's been dealt a tough hand here, I don't deny that. This "new" Jason though, seems a little bit manufactured.

I agree with you KDawg, that people have wanted this from him. And I want something like this from him, but it's more of an intensity, a confidence, an "eye of the tiger" thing, if you will. I haven't been at camp to see it, but from what I read this just sounds like a manufactured action that isn't really who Jason is. The intensity should come secondarily and naturally from a high level of performance and competitiveness. Personally, Jason can win me over by showing he can read the field, find the receiver before he is open and get the ball out fast and to the right spot. We know the offensive line isn't very strong, so the honus will be on him to MAKE things happen when they aren't necessarily easy. When those things happen, he will command the respect of the players in that huddle, they will look to him at crunch time, and then you will see a real leader who is able to exercise authority on the field. Things haven't been easy for Jason, he's been dealt a tough hand here, I don't deny that. This "new" Jason though, seems a little bit manufactured.

GREAT explanation and very reasonable as well.

Mike Florio with bad news = uncredibile

Mike Florie with positive skins news = great writer

After 3 comments on that subject, can we get on topic and stop bringing up Florio, please?

Agreed. Leadership is a learned process. Yes. There are "born leaders",but they still have to learn how to lead. Learn to be comfortable with that leadership. A leader has to be confident them self,while at the same time showing confidence in those they're leading. A leader is the eye of the storm for the most part. When everything is going to **** around them,the leader has to take control and calm the storm of anxiety around them. It's knowing when to get angry,(or in this case grab a jersey),and be animated that's the art of leadership. Knowing when those around you are lacking focus and making mistakes because of it for example. Knowing when the time is right to have a calculated "temper tantrum". ;) to get them to focus. Jason seems to be doing some of this right now. And yes,in the case of a QB,he needs to perform as well as he expects those he's leading to do. Other than that,not a whole lot of pressure on the young man. :)

im on campbell's side of the QB argument, and in the end im just glad that we are a few weeks away from seeing him on the football field.

neither side is going to win this argument with anything other than results.

I didn't post this to win any argument. You know who's side I'm on? The Redskins. Whoever gives us the best chance to win is who I want to play. Period.

I posted this because it's something different. It's not an "OMG! Jason is teh best EVAR!11!!!!!!!" thread. It's also not designed to hate on the guy.

But you're absolutely correct. Anyone arguing on either side of the QB discussion will not win until we see what Campbell does. And even then they probably won't win, either.

I dunno, Dawg.

I think this whole "leadership" thing is blown way out of proportion. As a player, I'd feel pretty much like Jon Jansen.

When young Patrick Ramsey came into the huddle with some hoo-rah for the troops, Jansen said "Just shut up and call the play, rookie." He and Ramsey were buddies, so it was said in good humor, but the remark still reflected Jansen's attitude.

As for a QB -- a teammate -- showing anger and publically embarassing me for a mistake, I'd get in the guy's face and threaten to punch him out if he did it again. That's not leadership, for God's sake.

Supposedly JC was a lot more vocal while at Auburn. Hopefully this isn't just an act and he is finally taking charge. I would rather see the Qb go down swinging than the meek efforts of the last 3 years.

I know that the meek inherit the earth, but they don't win **** on Sundays.

HTTR

I dunno, Dawg.

I think this whole "leadership" thing is blown way out of proportion. As a player, I'd feel pretty much like Jon Jansen.

When young Patrick Ramsey came into the huddle with some hoo-rah for the troops, Jansen said "Just shut up and call the play, rookie." He and Ramsey were buddies, so it was said in good humor, but the remark still reflected Jansen's attitude.

As for a QB -- a teammate -- showing anger and publically embarassing me for a mistake, I'd get in the guy's face and threaten to punch him out if he did it again. That's not leadership, for God's sake.

Very good point, Oldfan. Maybe Terrell Owens thought he was being a leader when he got in McNabb's face. Instead he was just being an ass.

I didn't post this to win any argument. You know who's side I'm on? The Redskins. Whoever gives us the best chance to win is who I want to play. Period.

I posted this because it's something different. It's not an "OMG! Jason is teh best EVAR!11!!!!!!!" thread. It's also not designed to hate on the guy.

But you're absolutely correct. Anyone arguing on either side of the QB discussion will not win until we see what Campbell does. And even then they probably won't win, either.

i also realize that, but as everyone knows - this direction this thread is will head is inevitable.

but at this point, can you really blame anyone? whenenver a QB has a less than stellar year, there will be rumblings among a fan base. but THIS has been different. we have had jc vs. colt arguments. jc vs cutler. jc vs. sanchez.

a lot of times there have been 2 warring factions. this offseason there have been like 6. it has all been depressing really. judging by how camp is giong with the oline, POSSIBLE wr injuries, jason possibly holding onto the ball too long, etc., my optimism ahs kind of waned a bit.

i just hope he is solid. i think he has the talent to give us another big start.

in the end, though, i just hope that jason and zorn arent the ones who pay the price for years of not drafting oline/keeping draft picks before them. would be unfair.

and that is not to even say that last year was the oline's fault, etc etc etc - i dont think anyone can deny that the line broke down last year and things are soudning BAD this year. if jason sucks this year or doesnt step up and next year is out, fine. same with zorn.

but it is depressing to consider that we might get rid of a qb or even coach b/c the decision makers before them did poorly. how could we ever get out of that cycle sans a total shakeup in the executive wing of the washington redskins?

i jut want the saeson to start and i want to be blown away by jason. cant say, though, that i am as optimistic this year as i was last.

I dunno, Dawg.

I don't disagree with you. But it depends on each individual teammate. I'm a coach, as alot of you know, and I don't handle any two players the same. Some like it better when I'm sarcastic with them, some can be called out and not lose their cool, some need to be coddled, and some need to be controlled with non-verbal cues.

It's very dependent on each guy. Campbell could go in the huddle and call Devin Thomas out if he wanted to. No problem. Could he do the same with Portis? Maybe, we don't know what Portis' attitude towards Jason would be, but Jason sure does. I would say to err on the side of caution with any vet, but the guys that come in younger than you? Let them have it. They are owed nothing. And some guys, even vets, respond well to that sort of thing.

It all comes down to knowing your teammates.

And if anyone threatens to punch out Campbell in the huddle while he's wearing a helmet, maybe they need to go back to school :)

But in all seriousness, it's about knowing the people around you. And that MAY be why Jason was quiet for a very long time. Or maybe that WAS his personality... Who knows. He does. We don't. Let's see what happens with this.

I dunno, Dawg.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that JC actually get in a 'mates face or embarrass them. I think most of us would like to see some fire in his belly and not be so "aw shucks" all of the time. It just seems to me that the whole offense takes on his demeanor and seem to lack enthusiasm.

i think it was unfortunate that one of the real bigtime jason plays came in the final game last yaer.

i thought the final drive, capped by the rushing touchdown, was one of the first "win at all cost" jason campbell moments. would have been interesting to see how he took charge in a game the next sunday. i thought he really showed some fire in that 49ers game, even if some of his passing was off the mark.

By the way, for the most part, I want to compliment the people in this thread. This has been a very good read and actually fun to participate in. Let's keep it going though, I'm sure there's plenty more that can be said here :)

Funny thing: Jason has pressure; Eli (who's not much better, if he is in fact better) is now the best-paid player in the NFL. :wtf: is wrong with this picture? :doh:

Eli was under constant pressure a couple years ago, probably even more given the nature of the NY media.

Rings change everything.

the bottom line is that when you are looking at a QB, the question is "can we win a champinoship with this guy?"

and when you can answer that question with "yes" with absolute certainty in the case of a very young qb, he is going to be rich as hell.

i think its a ton of money, but if they didnt offer it to him, someone else would have. doesnt matter if his stats arent that great - it matters that he has proven that a team can win a championship with him under center. thats about as much leverage as a quarterback can have.

also, even though he hasnt won a ring, i could see Rivers asking for even more.

Luck, O-Line, Luck, Defense, Luck, Plaxico, Luck.

I hear you man. Winning=good qb for some reason. Joe Flacco (who I'm a huge fan of, fellow Blue Hen) had an average year at best and rode his defense. You would think he was in the running for MVP with the way the media talks about him.

I don't disagree with you. But it depends on each individual teammate. I'm a coach, as alot of you know, and I don't handle any two players the same. Some like it better when I'm sarcastic with them, some can be called out and not lose their cool, some need to be coddled, and some need to be controlled with non-verbal cues.

It's very dependent on each guy. Campbell could go in the huddle and call Devin Thomas out if he wanted to. No problem. Could he do the same with Portis? Maybe, we don't know what Portis' attitude towards Jason would be, but Jason sure does. I would say to err on the side of caution with any vet, but the guys that come in younger than you? Let them have it. They are owed nothing. And some guys, even vets, respond well to that sort of thing.

It all comes down to knowing your teammates.

And if anyone threatens to punch out Campbell in the huddle while he's wearing a helmet, maybe they need to go back to school :)

But in all seriousness, it's about knowing the people around you. And that MAY be why Jason was quiet for a very long time. Or maybe that WAS his personality... Who knows. He does. We don't. Let's see what happens with this.

Well, we disagree. I've coached kids in three sports and I've managed people in business. I've yet to meet the person who didn't respond better to calm, courteous criticism.

Archived