Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

STB21's Training Camp Recap (Day 1)

CRobi21

Good afternoon everyone. Forgive me if I have a lot of grammar and spelling errors here on this recap, I haven't gotten up this early since frickin middle school. Got up at around 6, left at around 6:45, got there right at 8. Just me and my dad today, his first time.

Alrighty, here we go.

The guys came out right as we were getting there. Defense in white, offense in burgundy. The entire defense seemed to be out there before any of the offensive guys got out there, and they were immediately into warmup lines while guys were still walking out of the locker room. Pretty cool to see Blache is running a tight ship, and his guys are buying into it.

The team did their little position drills and then got into offense and defense team drills. TE and O-line went together, RBs and FBs, then QBs threw to WRs running simple routes. Defense was on the far field, and from what I could see they were just doing their basic drills they do every year.

Offense:

QBs - For the first day of practice, I thought all of QBs looked fairly well. WR's and DBs were doing man-to-man drills.

JC was hitting his guys right on stride, also throwing some PRETTY deep balls a few times, one to Devin Thomas who beat the defender. JC has really amazed me by how much he's cut down his release, it was very quick today and didn't seem to lose any velocity on his passes.

TC15 - We all pretty know what we're gonna get from him. Barely any mistakes, nice accurate passes, hitting guys right out of there cuts. Like I said, we know what we got with Todd.

Colt - I think we're gonna have to wait til pre-season games to see how much better Colt has gotten. He's still not getting that many reps sitting behind JC and Todd. But when he got in there he looked solid. At the beginning of prac, some of his balls were kind of getting away from him. But by mid prac he was hitting guys right between the numbers. Like I said, he didn't get that many reps today, with the majority going to JC, which makes since though.

Chase Daniel - I hear a lot of people in the Cult of Colt talking about how Colt has a quick release, but I tell you what, Chase could give Colt a run for his money. Dude as a QUICK release. Tight spirals, very accurate. You could tell he was a rookie out there making some mistakes, but I think this guy is definately worth saving a practice squad roster spot for.

RB/FB Kind of hard to analyze RBs and FBs in a no contact practice, they all looked good out there.

Clinton looked about the same size as last year, definately slimmer than the pics we saw from OTA's though. Ladell looked good, catching balls out of the backfield and getting upfield. Rock and Marcus Mason looked like clones of each other out there, both about the same size, and same running style.

FA pickups Dominique Dorsey and Anthony Aldridge put forth pretty solid performances. Both had good hands coming out of the back field. Dorsey seems like he could maybe be an every down back, but not Aldridge. He was bouncing back and forth off guys trying to get through holes. But a few times he got the ball in open field and looked much more comfortable in open space. Dude GLIDES across the field, VERY light feet.

WR/TE - The depth chart seemed to be 1) Santana 2) Devin Thomas 3) ARE 4) Malcolm Kelly 5) Roydell Williams. I think we know what we have with Santana, GREAT routes, solid hands, dangerous in open field. He had a good prac, a few drops, but overall good. DEVIN THOMAS people!! To me, guy looked significantly better than last year. Running GREAT routes, beating his man, and catching everything thrown at him.

Malcolm Kelly - Looked decent at best, not his best practice. Didn't get that many opportunities though in 11-on-11 and 7-on-7. ARE looked very good in the slot, definately his natural WR position. Made a few very nice grabs that were low to the ground that he laid out for to make. Roydell looked like the seasoned veteran out there. Running good routes and making good catches, but nothing spectacular, very James Thrash-ish practice. Rookie draft pick Marko Mitchell seems like a VERY raw player out there. The speed threat is obvious, but at times seems hesitant, and will need to get bigger.

Cooley looked great as usual, catching multiple passes from JC across the middle. Great hands, great routes. Fred Davis had an alright prac. Caught a few balls here and there, but nothing spectacular. Was taking reps as the #2 TE though.

OL - Starting 5 were LT: Samuels LG: Dock C: Rabach RG: Randy Thomas RT: Stephon Heyer Pretty much impossible to critique them as they were going no where near full speed. Chris Samuels seemed to slim down a bit though.

Defense - Defense seemed to have the upper hand early in practice, but the offense caught up with them towards the end.

DL - If I remember correctly, starting front 4 were Andre Carter, Ant Montgomery, Big Al, and Phillip Daniels. Phillip seems prime to make a comeback, he looked like a little kid out there. Jumping on guys, going 100% every play. Big Al was also putting forth good effort, chasing down ball carriers 20 yards down field.

LBs - Starting was London, Rocky, and Fincher (I'm guessing Orakpo would have that spot when he gets back). They all looked solid. Again, hard to judge this position without any contact. But our young LBs look, "Scrappy", if I only had one word to describe them. No spectacular plays, but always in their gap, ready to make the tackle.

DBs - D HALL baby, picked off a pass in 7-on-7 drills, from JC, Hall would have been gone. Los was opposite of him, had a quiet practice though. Nothing terrible, nothing spectacular. I'm telling you guys, JUSTIN TRYON is much improved. We'll have to see how in translates in the pre-season games, but dude had a helluva practice. I don't think he got beat once, and broke up several passes.

Horton and Landry look like a match made in heaven out there. Two different styles of play, but both were flying to the ball carrier, and they were communicating very well out there.

Reed Doughty was back and looked very good. He came in with the first team on certain packages. He picked off a Chase Daniel pass late in the practice and would have taken it back for a TD. Smoothad a "ehh" practice. Got beat on 7-on-7s, and was virtually no where to be found on 11-on-11.

Rookie Kevin Barnes started out slow, but really came on at the end of practice. He displayed some good inside leverage on Roydell Williams when Roydell went deep. Barnes was right in his hip pocket, and broke up the pass.

Players of the Day: Offense: Devin Thomas .......... Defense: D Hall/Justin Tryon......YES JUSTIN TRYON

One thing I saw today that I didn't see so much last year, was just good ol' team comradory. Guys were high-fivin and butt smackin after good plays. And not just guys on same side of the ball. Defense guys would give offense guys some love after a good play, and vice versa. They really seem to be together, since virtually there are the same team as last year.

And probably the best news of the day so far; NO INJURIES!!

Well ladies and gents, that just about does it. A pretty solid first practice, but there is definately room for improvement at all positions. I look forward as to how the guys progress as camp goes forward. Big shoutout to the "Human Biography". There's a guy that stands down towards the right side of the fence, and will give a complete background speech on any player that walks by. Be it CP or and UDFA that most people know nothing about. It's hilarious. Guy yells the ENTIRE practice, I don't know how he keeps his voice.

If you got questions about a certain player (Colt :)) Ask away, and I'll answer as best I can.

No special teams news yet?

Santana, D Hall, Aldridge, Dorsey, and Tryon all cut punts out of the ball machine. Other than that, we could see Suisham, the Red Snapper, and Hunter Smith on the field to the left kicking. Then standing around the rest of practice. Suisham was running 100 yd gassers though on his own while prac was still going on.

That's about it.

Big Al was also putting forth good effort, chasing down ball carriers 20 yards down field.
Okay. Now that's a look over your shoulder "Oh ****" moment if there ever is one. If you're the ball carrier. Gotta be good for adding at least a second on the 40 speed right there,(it would if it was me).

ST, CBS says Colt's release was higher. What did you see?

Oh definately. He's still got his own unique throwing style we're all used to, but he's definately refined it quite a bit. Last year he had a tendency to drop his arm down quite a bit to make some throws, which I'm pretty shore irked Zorn a little bit. But yea, today, his release point was more consistent, he looked good.

Oh definately. He's still got his own unique throwing style we're all used to, but he's definately refined it quite a bit. Last year he had a tendency to drop his arm down quite a bit to make some throws, which I'm pretty shore irked Zorn a little bit. But yea, today, his release point was more consistent, he looked good.

Thanks! You da man!:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:dallasuck

Another thing on LaRon, guy is a nut! A few times it looked like he was gonna lay the lumber to some of his own guys. He'd then shake his head or point a finger in the guys direction as to say, "You had no chance boy." He seems very hungry and determined.

Archived