Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Which team improved more this offseason - Redskins or Eagles?

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

assinine that you cant grasp that the eagles (in this decade) are a better team than we are?

oh wait, thats reality. sorry.

OK. I can play your stupid game too. The Redskins have 3 superbowl trophies ALL TIME. The Eagles have none. Thats reality too.

To ASSume that they are better, or more improved than the Skins is mere specualtion ( and you are GREAT at that). The proof is that we have split with them for years and swept them THIS YEAR... since you want to add some sort of time frame to legitimise you flawed logic.

Did I say either? no. Get a grip. Peters and Andrews are ?'s at this point. If Peters is what he was two years ago instead of last year, I would say they did better than us. I answered the question but apparently you didnt like the answer. poor baby.

As for the defense, I never said what the drop off would be, just that there is likely to be a drop off. Johnson is one of the best playcallers in the league for the past ten years and Dawkins was not only a great safety but also the captain of that defense the last ten years. You think Sean Jones will step in and they wont miss a beat? :doh:

First of all, don't patronize me. If you want to be taken seriously, stick to the topic.

Secondly, you said...

The jury's out until Peters proves he is the guy from 2007, not 2008. If he shows up I'd give the edge to Philly. If not, I think the Skins.

You are basically saying that if Peters doesn't work out, you would think the Redskins have the edge? Really? I would like to hear this explanation.

I never said Sean Jones will step in and they won't miss a beat. Re-read what I said. I said that they MAY NOT BE AS GOOD, but it doesn't mean they won't still be very good. McDermott has been with the Eagles long enough to know the scheme. He was the secondaries coach so I'm sure his safeties will be fine.

You seem to be really writing off the Eagles this season...

You all need to back off me a little! I was just saying we will have an improved offense. I wasn't responding to the OP (so I wasn't comparing us to Philly), I was responding to a post that said we've done nothing to improve offensively. I was trying to say, although we didn't bring in very many players on the offensive side, we will improve due to continuity. We will have a more affective offense, you can bank on it. We will score more points. Yes, that is not saying much, duh.

I also think our improvements on defense will produce more sacks and turnovers, thus improving our field position.

I completely agree;)

The Eagles improved in several areas they needed to. No major holes. They have a proven system with a proven QB.

The Redskins made some improvements, bet still left some glaring holes with question marks. A second year coach with a QB fighting for a job. A shaky OL, WR corp, and LB group. The 'Skins have more question marks around them.

I think its pretty clear.

Eloquently stated. I echo your sentiments.

For me, the QB is going to one of the most deciding factor. They have McNabb a proven player maker ... and, we don't!:logo:

lol, dude, this is what you posted

and i said, but we didnt have the talent to beat the bengals or the rams. every NFL team is loaded with talent, from the lions to the steelers. talent doesnt equal success or wins.

and if youre going to throw out history and say one season has no bearing on the next, i think youre way off. this is why stable teams with stable players at key positions continue winning season after season. we'll use the eagles for example. history says to me, donovon mcnabb usually makes the playoffs and does well. im not gonna wipe all that clean cause its a new season. id bet money the eagles will succeed cause they have mcnabb and a pressure defense, that has proven IN THE PAST to work.

how can you refute that?

Dear BLC, I know a lot of ES skins members dislike you due to your constant malevolence. That being said, I saw this statement and found it particularly provocative. As a longtime lurker, I'd LOVE to take you up on your bet. I'll tell you what buddy, put your money where your mouth is, and here are my expected terms: If the Redskins finish with a better regular season record than the Eagles, you pay me $50 and agree to NEVER post on these boards again (the latter of which I'm sure you'll get around via proxy or new name/e-mail or whatever, but it's the principle of the thing). If the Eagles finish with a better record than the 'skins, I will pay you $100 and do the same. Please PM me your Paypal information after publicly informing us all of your intent. You can hate all day, but I believe the 'skins will dump on the Eagles again this season and likely finish better this season. You like to drop negative criticism on the team, on JC specifically, etc., and now that you've said you'd "bet money", I'd like to see you publicly acknowledge that you mean to back up your words. Best regards, -mezcaL14 EDIT: I am sick and tired of blind hatred (similar to blind homerism) about the skins. Please, put your money where your mouth is, and next I will target McD5.

McDermott has been with the Eagles long enough to know the scheme. He was the secondaries coach so I'm sure his safeties will be fine.
guys, the eagles are a better team than we are, get over it. it doesnt matter that we swept them last year, they constantly go to the playoffs and we dont.

again, not brain surgery. 5 NFC championship appearances in 8 years, multiple divisions in the last 10 years, a superbowl appearance, consistent pressure defense, consistent QB play.

Neither of you quite seem to understand the idea of them losing their longtime, elite defensive coordinator. Johnson was one of the best in the business, not just scheming the defense (which will be a task for McDermott), but especially play calling it (which McDermott will absolutely have no clue on the intuition of compared to Johnson)...BLC has absolutely ignored that point over and over again, like he always ignores any point that goes against his arguments, but it's a cold reality for the Eagles. And even their fans acknowledge it as a very strong potential weakness this season.

I don't get it. The Eagles are in every top 5 power rankings list.

We swept them last year, they lost their highest-impact defensive player, we added the best defensive player in the league.

Not only do I think the Redskins were better than the Eagles last year, but I also believe that gap has widened. I expect to sweep the Eagles this year. Am I missing something? Did one offensive lineman vault the Eagles into Top 5?

Pretend for a minute you never saw any power rankings. Who improved more this offseason - Washington or Philadelphia?

We weren't a better team than the Eagles last year. We swept them, yeah. So head-to-head we were better, sure. But overall, we weren't. They made the playoffs. We watched the playoffs.

As for which team improved more? I'd say neither really improved more than the other.

well no offense, but the year youre referring to in 2004, the team went 6-10.

Talking about defense in this case. Greg Williams was the man. We were a great defensive unit.

I agree with your point that lately the Eagles have been better, but we are talking about who made the most improvements. :eaglesuck

First of all, don't patronize me. If you want to be taken seriously, stick to the topic.

You are basically saying that if Peters doesn't work out, you would think the Redskins have the edge? Really? I would like to hear this explanation.

I never said Sean Jones will step in and they won't miss a beat. Re-read what I said. I said that they MAY NOT BE AS GOOD, but it doesn't mean they won't still be very good. McDermott has been with the Eagles long enough to know the scheme. He was the secondaries coach so I'm sure his safeties will be fine.

You seem to be really writing off the Eagles this season...

:doh:

The topic of this thread is who improved more, the Skins or the Eagles. It is not who is a better team. I addressed the topic of the thread while you have departed from the topic of the thread.

My contention is that if Jason Peters is as good as he was in 2007, I think the eagles did more to improve their team this offseason. If he is more like the turnstile he was in 2008, then I believe the Skins did more to improve themselves.

As an aside, I mentioned that the eagles losing Dawkins and Jonshon(R.I.P.) will be more significant than people in this thread are stating. Fairly simple when taken in the context of this thread.

;)

assinine that you cant grasp that the eagles (in this decade) are a better team than we are?

oh wait, thats reality. sorry.

Are you really so much of an attention whore that you have to turn what was an interesting topic into yet another piss-fest about how the Redskins suck?

The topic of this thread is who improved more, the Skins or the Eagles. It is not who is a better team. I addressed the topic of the thread while you have departed from the topic of the thread.

My contention is that if Jason Peters is as good as he was in 2007, I think the eagles did more to improve their team this offseason. If he is more like the turnstile he was in 2008, then I believe the Skins did more to improve themselves.

As an aside, I mentioned that the eagles losing Dawkins and Jonshon(R.I.P.) will be more significant than people in this thread are stating. Fairly simple when taken in the context of this thread.

;)

Also, Westbrook has a degenerative knee and underwent ankle surgery in the offseason and McNabb's career is in its decline phase. Westbrook, McNabb, Dawkins -- the three top performers on the team -- gone or going downhill.

;)

Regarding Peters, they way it read before is that the 'Skins have the edge regarding the OL. I misinterpreted that.

Even still, the Eagles weren't as bad of a shape at OL as the 'Skins were IMO. So even if Peters doesn't return to form or if they hadn't even acquired him, I still think they had a better offseason.

I am not dismissing the loss of Johnson or Dawkins. HOWEVER, what I am saying is that their defense was VERY, VERY good. So they yes, they will have a drop off. But I am willing to be it won't be significant enough to keep them out of at least the top 10 defense.

Also, Westbrook has a degenerative knee and underwent ankle surgery in the offseason and McNabb's career is in its decline phase. Westbrook, McNabb, Dawkins -- the three top performers on the team -- gone or going downhill.

McNabb stepped it up after his brief benching. He maybe in the "decline" phase, but its still better the the "incline" we are trying to get out of Jason right now.

As far as Westbrook, I am finally glad to see, as a Redskins fan, his career dwindling away. But they did get Lesean McCoy, so they aren't working with an empty backfield.

Regarding Peters, they way it read before is that the 'Skins have the edge regarding the OL. I misinterpreted that.

Even still, the Eagles weren't as bad of a shape at OL as the 'Skins were IMO. So even if Peters doesn't return to form or if they hadn't even acquired him, I still think they had a better offseason.

I am not dismissing the loss of Johnson or Dawkins. HOWEVER, what I am saying is that their defense was VERY, VERY good. So they yes, they will have a drop off. But I am willing to be it won't be significant enough to keep them out of at least the top 10 defense.

agreed.

Pretend for a minute you never saw any power rankings. Who improved more this offseason - Washington or Philadelphia?

They improved an already good OL,.

They drafted well rounded RB in McCoy in draft.

-Thankfully Andy Reid never commits to the run game

They drafted WR Maclin and proved last year that they know how to get solid production from rookie WRs.

They added CB/KR Ellis Hobbs.

Imo they improved all phases of the their OL, RB and WR with impact players.

Dear BLC, I know a lot of ES skins members dislike you due to your constant malevolence. That being said, I saw this statement and found it particularly provocative. As a longtime lurker, I'd LOVE to take you up on your bet. I'll tell you what buddy, put your money where your mouth is, and here are my expected terms: If the Redskins finish with a better regular season record than the Eagles, you pay me $50 and agree to NEVER post on these boards again (the latter of which I'm sure you'll get around via proxy or new name/e-mail or whatever, but it's the principle of the thing). If the Eagles finish with a better record than the 'skins, I will pay you $100 and do the same. Please PM me your Paypal information after publicly informing us all of your intent. You can hate all day, but I believe the 'skins will dump on the Eagles again this season and likely finish better this season. You like to drop negative criticism on the team, on JC specifically, etc., and now that you've said you'd "bet money", I'd like to see you publicly acknowledge that you mean to back up your words. Best regards, -mezcaL14 EDIT: I am sick and tired of blind hatred (similar to blind homerism) about the skins. Please, put your money where your mouth is, and next I will target McD5.

lol at blind hatred. says the guy from cleveland who i dont even know or have ever spoken to about anything.

and i dont bet money with people i dont know, especially over the internet. i know youre trying to look cool and tell me to "back it up brah" but sorry, i dont bet money with random dudes from cleveland on internet messageboards.

if im so "blind" id love to see you at least try and enter this conversation with something meaningful as to why im so out of of my mind. ill wait for your reply as to why the redskins are so much better.

Are you really so much of an attention whore that you have to turn what was an interesting topic into yet another piss-fest about how the Redskins suck?

seriously this is getting sad. where did i say "the redskins suck"??? i just said the eagles are better. the steelers are better too, that doesnt mean the redskins suck. this was a who improved more in the offseason, i voted it was a push because i think both teams upgraded pretty much in unison. the OP stated he was confused as to why they were so high in the power rankings, and how we could be ranked low due to the fact we swept them. i havent deviated from that original topic once in this thread.

Here's my opinion, as an Eagles fan (therefore irrelevant, I'm sure):

The Eagles came within a 4th & 2 stop of going to the Super Bowl. IMO, their 3 most glaring weaknesses last year, especially in the playoffs:

1) Short yardage & red zone offense

2) No RB threat in the playoffs

3) OTs - were broke down by NFCCG

4) FS (Dawk is/was a great leader but is done as a FS being able to cover)

Redskins weaknesses:

1) OL (RT & Depth)

2) QB Play (blame it on the OL health, but IMO JC was seriously lacking 2nd half as well)

3) Lack of points scored

4) Defensive line pressure

How did each team address both of their needs?

Eagles:

1) Weaver, McCoy, Ingram, upgrades to OL

2) IMO, the one weakness still on the team. WBs health is the main reason they lost NFCCG. McCoy is a rookie and might help some, but not ready to replace WB for more than a game or two.

3) Seems obvious that Peters/Andrews/Andrews are significant upgrades over Thomas, Runyan & Cole. Only question is which Peters will show up. Indications from mini-camps are that he is an excellent LT.

4) Jones/Mikell is an upgrade athletically over Dawk/Mikell.

Redskins:

1) RT is same RT listed as starter as last year. Depth is slightly better here, but I actually thought Kendall was pretty decent LG last year so not sure if Dock is a huge upgrade. Questions about Peters can be applied to Dock as well - they both weren't that good last year.

2) When I went to 2nd Eagles-SKins game, it was obvious to me that JC didn't/couldn't read the field quick enough. Maybe it was one bad game, but he truly looked lost on making 2nd & 3rd reads.

3) Relying on maturation of 2nd year receivers, QB and healthy OL.

4) Haynesworth is huge, no doubt about it. But he's never played a full season, and really took off during his last two years. Who's to say he doesn't play like 3 years ago? Orakpo is playing LB, so the DE pressure will have to come from Daniels & Carter.

Rating each team's units(Starters/Depth):

OL - Eagles/Eagles

QB - Eagles/Skins

WR - Eagles/Eagles

TE - Skins/draw

RB - Skins/Skins

P - Eagles

K - Eagles

PR/KR - Eagles

DT - Skins/Skins

DE - Eagles/Eagles

LB - Skins/both have crappy backup

DB - Eagles/Eagles

Losing Dawk sucks, but the loss of Johnson will be the main issue the defense will have to struggle with, he was phenomenal. The loss of Springs, something no one has mentioned, will hurt the Skins more than the loss of Dawk, IMO. Springs health was an issue, but when he played he was very good.

Overall, I do think the Eagles did more to upgrade on paper. Obviously the OL might not gel and it might be a colossal failure, but they addressed every single area of need with significant upgrades, except maybe RB. I still think the Skins OL will struggle, especially if they start to breakdown again in 2nd half of season, and their WR corps is major question mark.

Philly probably has deeper talent than the Skins.....especially with their lines. That doesn't mean that the Skins cannot continue to beat them. I see the starting match-ups as very even and close.

None of this chatter matters....it'll be decided on the field, not here.

OK. I can play your stupid game too. The Redskins have 3 superbowl trophies ALL TIME. The Eagles have none. Thats reality too.

To ASSume that they are better, or more improved than the Skins is mere specualtion ( and you are GREAT at that). The proof is that we have split with them for years and swept them THIS YEAR... since you want to add some sort of time frame to legitimise you flawed logic.

When you guys start bringing up championships of almost 20 years ago, you guys are being desperate. The Eagles have been the better franchise by far in this decade.

Archived