Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The case for/against interleague play in baseball

royallypwned

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

DH is dumb. I like watching the pitcher hit. I think the AL is ***** for not having their pitchers hit. I was at a game a couple months ago where Chris Young was pitching and he was rocking the bats. Had a few sweet hits. MVP of the game. Loved it.

yeah we do.......we play the exact same teams they do within a season

Nope. We play the Lions and the Rams this year and no one else in the division does. We all play the NFC South and the AFC West. But there are always 2 teams that not everyone plays.

For it. Living in a national league city, it is awesome to see the other league once in a while - I miss going to Orioles games.

And then to save baseball - cut the season to 120 games or less which would help from having teams play meaningless games by May 15th. 162 games is a freaking joke.

For it. Living in a national league city, it is awesome to see the other league once in a while - I miss going to Orioles games.

And then to save baseball - cut the season to 120 games or less which would help from having teams play meaningless games by May 15th. 162 games is a freaking joke.

I agree, 162 is alot of games. I mean, how many teams are playing meaningless games already? Nats, O's, Royals, Blue Jays, A's, Reds, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Padres, Indians. So that's a third of the league is already playing games that don't matter. I think 120 games sounds about right.

i like it because living in dallas it gives me the opportunity to see the braves without having to drive to houston. the only thing that sucks though is the four year rotation. i imagine it is the same with a lot of fans of out of league and out of market teams.

The problem with interleague play is the unfairness of the regional rivalries.

St Louis gets 6 games against the perennially hapless Royals every year while a team like the Astros have 6 against the Rangers. The almost certain 1 or 2 game swing that's going to cause every season can impact the postseason, all because of lucky geography?

Maybe some owner will relocate soon just to get closer to the Pirates.

it is getting stupid with how unbalanced the leagues are. The Blue Jays this year played Atlanta, Florida, Philly, Washington and Cincinnati? why did they not play the Mets?

Move a team over to the American league (maybe the brewers since that is where they belong Bud, the Milwaukee BRAVES played in the NL) and kick a team over to the AL west to make 6 five team divisions, and then have 15 games of interleague play for each team if you want to keep it. They way it is now is just stupid, all because somebody told Bud it would be a good idea to put the Brewers in the NL.

I think the most logical and easiest move would be to have the Astros play in the AL west, but I dont like the idea of moving the Astros because of the dumb decision to put the Brewers in the NL. Maybe kick KC over to the AL west, since nobody there cares about baseball anyways, and I'm sure it would be a nice change of pace for Royals fans to finish last in a new division.

I agree, 162 is alot of games. I mean, how many teams are playing meaningless games already? Nats, O's, Royals, Blue Jays, A's, Reds, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Padres, Indians. So that's a third of the league is already playing games that don't matter. I think 120 games sounds about right.

or institute a hard cap. O's fans can relate to the hardships Blue Jays and Rays fans have had for years, spend what you like, but the Yanks and the Sox will pretty much double what the next highest payroll in the division. Put together a 90 win club and congratulations! you win 3rd place in the AL East.

The only problem with baseball's salary cap are 2 teams, both in the AL East, who say screw it, we make enough to pay the "tax", and leave the other 3 teams to fight only for bragging rights amongst one another.

It's getting to a point where no team in the AL East can spend even half of what the Sox or Yanks do, simply because of reduced revenues, and its hard to get people out to the ball game to see a team that plays it's last meaningful game in June. I think you will see the gap between the Yanks, Sox and the rest of the AL east grow even greater in the next coming years, especially if Toronto's Dead man walking GM pulls the trigger on a Roy Halladay trade.

or institute a hard cap. O's fans can relate to the hardships Blue Jays and Rays fans have had for years, spend what you like, but the Yanks and the Sox will pretty much double what the next highest payroll in the division. Put together a 90 win club and congratulations! you win 3rd place in the AL East.

The only problem with baseball's salary cap are 2 teams, both in the AL East, who say screw it, we make enough to pay the "tax", and leave the other 3 teams to fight only for bragging rights amongst one another.

It's getting to a point where no team in the AL East can spend even half of what the Sox or Yanks do, simply because of reduced revenues, and its hard to get people out to the ball game to see a team that plays it's last meaningful game in June. I think you will see the gap between the Yanks, Sox and the rest of the AL east grow even greater in the next coming years, especially if Toronto's Dead man walking GM pulls the trigger on a Roy Halladay trade.

I agree with that 100%. Its impossible for other teams in the AL in general to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox on a consistent basis. The only team that has come close is the Angels. The AL Central winner changes almost every year because they are all small market teams and can't win consistently. The only team that has won that division in the last few years is the Royals, and we all know how bad they are. Of the 9 WS this decade, the Yankees or Red Sox have been in 5 of them.

The NL is at least a little more competitive. Dodgers, Phillies, Cardinals, Cubs all have a chance to get to the WS.

LOL Guess that's why Toronto averages mediocre records every year since 1993? Hilarious.

Usually I'd be for fair play and competition but given my strong bias against the Blue Jays I find it absolutely comical that they can't compete in the AL East and repeatedly get mediocre records. The funny thing is how JP doesn't gets fired for the incompetence in that organization. I expect JP to be fired very soon, he's been GM for mulitple years and the organization has made NO strides at all, no progress, not even a sniff of catching up to the Red Sox or Yankees.

PS : I also do hope Halladay gets traded out of Toronto, about time he play in a major baseball market

</Toronto Rant off>

Anyways I don't think a salary cap would do much, there's not really much need for it. Parity is fine as is, guess you could say two surprise teams made the WS last year. Plus there's the whole luxury tax deal. I do agree that the major markets snag all the big talent though

Anyways I don't think a salary cap would do much, there's not really much need for it. Parity is fine as is, guess you could say two surprise teams made the WS last year. Plus there's the whole luxury tax deal. I do agree that the major markets snag all the big talent though

The crazy thing is that in this decade, MLB has had 8 different teams win a WS. The NFL has had 6 different teams win a SB and the NBA has had 4. It seems weird that MLB has the most parity.

it is getting stupid with how unbalanced the leagues are. The Blue Jays this year played Atlanta, Florida, Philly, Washington and Cincinnati? why did they not play the Mets?

Move a team over to the American league (maybe the brewers since that is where they belong Bud, the Milwaukee BRAVES played in the NL) and kick a team over to the AL west to make 6 five team divisions, and then have 15 games of interleague play for each team if you want to keep it. They way it is now is just stupid, all because somebody told Bud it would be a good idea to put the Brewers in the NL.

I think the most logical and easiest move would be to have the Astros play in the AL west, but I dont like the idea of moving the Astros because of the dumb decision to put the Brewers in the NL. Maybe kick KC over to the AL west, since nobody there cares about baseball anyways, and I'm sure it would be a nice change of pace for Royals fans to finish last in a new division.

There is a problem with moving a team from the NL to the AL. It can't be done. There has to be an even amount of teams in each league, otherwise two teams will have an off-day every day. Unless there is year-round interleague play between the two teams not playing other teams from their own league.

LOL Guess that's why Toronto averages mediocre records every year since 1993? Hilarious.

Usually I'd be for fair play and competition but given my strong bias against the Blue Jays I find it absolutely comical that they can't compete in the AL East and repeatedly get mediocre records. The funny thing is how JP doesn't gets fired for the incompetence in that organization.

The Blue Jays have been giving out disaster deals in the past few years.

BJ Ryan...finished. 15+ million owed.

Wells...overrated, ahem 107 MILLION owed. He'll probably decline even worse than his career .804 OPS.

Rios...70+ million owed, and he's overrated.

Interleague play games should not decide who makes the playoffs.

A team whose natural rival is a weak AL/NL team shouldn't get the advantage over another divisional team whose natural rival is a strong AL/NL team.

Only divisional (National or American) records should determine playoff teams.

Archived