Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

News-Press.com: Portis at Edgerin James camp

SWFLSkins

Not much here, but hey it is Portis and he made a couple of comments so I thought it was worth posting. The television coverage talked to James but made no mention nor did they show Portis. I found out about it in this article. Had we known, my nine year old was home sick yesterday, we probably would have went.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20090721/SPORTS/90721041/1010/sports

These were the comments from or about Portis from the article, it is good to see he takes time to help kids and his old teammate from the U.

James did not charge for the camp. He enlisted the help of Immokalee High and area Pop Warner coaches along with former NFL wide receiver and Fort Myers resident Jammi German and Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis.

James said he put together the camp in a hurry. He did not call Portis until Monday.

“That’s one thing about playing at the University of Miami,” said Portis, who first met James during his recruiting visit there out of Gainesville High.

Portis said he wasn’t sure where James would land.

“He can go anywhere in the NFL,” Portis said. “The media and the outside world, they’re always looking for the next best. They get bored with people who are good all the time.

“He’s a Hall of Fame back. His numbers speak for themselves.”

Loosing someone you love is tough on anyone esspecially to cancer, I think James is in for a bounce back year . Arizona always has been a bad place to be for a running back, it would be interesting if James is given a call durring camp at some point . Portis and James in the backfield would be sick . Remember that Portis wanted James with the Skins before he signed up with the Cards ..

I didn't realize that James is only a year older than Ladell Betts. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with James as the #2 than Betts -- if the price is right.

Yeah, I saw that as well. I could help but think about Portis working James to join the Skins. Man that would be a duo. In Az. last year it sure seemed like James got a raw deal. And he did not cry about, plus performed when needed. I still don't know why they got rid of him. From his comments though it appears that he wants to start again. But hey Portis/James vs Portis/Betts is a no brainer.

I didn't realize that James is only a year older than Ladell Betts. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with James as the #2 than Betts -- if the price is right.

Except that James has 195,000 hard miles on him and Betts has been kept in a garage and only driven to bingo night by Vinny's grandmother.

Look, Edge was one of the best of his era. He may a Hall of Famer. But right now, today, I really think a team is better off with Ladell Betts than Edgerrin James on the roster.

Oh I don't want edge here AT ALL I am just saying there is a reason why Betts has "been kept in the garage" He is an ok number 2 but he is not by any means a dominating #2 and he is FUMBLE PRONE...I like Betts but he is not worth his contract...

It wouldn't be beneficial to pick up James at this time. It has Shaun Alexender written all over it.

Betts has less mileage and is a solid compliment to Portis--him and Portis just need to be used more equally.

Oh and give Sellers the ball more.

Betts is a good back to have that gets 10-12 carries a game. He could get more carries, if he didn't lay the ball on the rug once every other game. Betts has had a fumbling problem since his first year. I like him as our back-up, but would not feel comfortable with Betts as our number 1.

It wouldn't be beneficial to pick up James at this time. It has Shaun Alexender written all over it.

Betts has less mileage and is a solid compliment to Portis--him and Portis just need to be used more equally.

Edge was productive last year, he is 11th on the all time list, he is going to play this year=things that Alexander was or is not.

Betts in't really a good compliment back . To get the best out of him he needs 20 + carries a game which is okay if your starter goes down but not okay if you want to spot him in a play or two .

There is no chance that James is even remotely close to the Shaun Alexander situation. Alexander was/is done and you could see that the season before with the 'Hawks. James had a really decent second half and could be the perfect compliment behind CP. I would love for us to cut Betts (depending on the cap hit) and sign James to back up CP.

THe Giants ran 3 RBs. The Steelers ran 4 RBs, the cardinals ran 3 RBs.

I don't see why we can't have Portis, Edge, and Betts.

But at the same time, this is the team that had shaun alexander and tj duckett eating paychecks while they stood in warm ups on the field

This, I would like to see.

Just as a change of pace. Put him in as the tailback on occasion and run a mini Riggo drill. 5 or 6 carries a game. That would be fun to watch.

I'd rather not. I wouldn't mind seeing the fullback position vanish and replaced with another TE (Davis). It just seemed like, if the team needed 1 or 2 yards, Sellers was guaranteed to get 1/2.

THe Giants ran 3 RBs. The Steelers ran 4 RBs, the cardinals ran 3 RBs.

I don't see why we can't have Portis, Edge, and Betts.

But at the same time, this is the team that had shaun alexander and tj duckett eating paychecks while they stood in warm ups on the field

With Joe Gibbs, I don't think 3-4 would be possible looking at how he used Portis/Betts. I don't know about Jim Zorn though. Last season gave me the impression that he agreed with Gibbs.

I completely disagree. I think Sellers has proved that he can't consistently catch the ball and that, despite being the same size as Brandon Jacobs, he has no drive in his legs. He pushes the pile as well as Betts...

Now, give him open space and he'll eat anyone in his way. However, how often does that happen? Once or twice a year?

I'd rather not. I wouldn't mind seeing the fullback position vanish and replaced with another TE (Davis). It just seemed like, if the team needed 1 or 2 yards, Sellers was guaranteed to get 1/2.

Lol, I posted without reading this one. Otherwise I would've just said, "I agree."

Archived